Winnipeg JETS fans protest NICKELBACK playing opening night

Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://nyrnation.net/winnipeg-jets-fans ... ing-night/

Winnipeg Jets Fans Protesting To Keep Nickelback From Performing Opening Night
Posted by Eric Bancker on September 2nd, 2011
A quite amusing story that’s floating around is that Winnipeg Jets fans don’t want the band, “Nickelback” to perform on their opening night and they are going as far as the protest the idea entirely. You just have to love this.

Here are some snippets from the original article from Winnipeg Free Press.

As people who love music and love Winnipeg even more, we have a request: Please ensure this does not happen. The return of the NHL to Winnipeg is something we have been dreaming about for 15 years. Please do not sully the celebration with the presence of a band whose existence is antithetical to the very concept of celebration.

Why detract from the fun atmosphere of the return of the Jets by booking a dour, depressing band that has done little but inspire more dour, depressing bands, such as Theory of a Dead Man, Three Days Grace and Hinder. Music critics actually use “Theory of a Dead Nickelback” as shorthand for humourless, joyless, mid-tempo, plodding CanCon that only exists to make life easy for unimaginative radio programmers and manufacturers of pyrotechnics.

This just makes me laugh, and feel free to read the rest of the article, but this is something I completely agree with. In my most honest opinion, Nickelback has just taken what great bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana have made famous, regurgitated it, made it more audience-friendly, and called it their own. Nickelback barely belongs in stores, or on the radio, so they absolutely don’t belong anywhere hockey related.
For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
platessmall.jpg
ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
http://www.UNOS.org
Donate Organs and Save a Life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Winnipegotians are tough-as-nails m•th•rf•ckers and they won't take no sissy band like N*ck*lb*ck ruining their new NHL dynasty!

That being said, their first choice is probably going to either be Burton Cummings or they'll dig up Louis Riel's corpse and trot it around on the ice a la Weekend at Bernie's.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Winnipegotians are tough-as-nails m•th•rf•ckers and they won't take no sissy band like N*ck*lb*ck ruining their new NHL dynasty!

That being said, their first choice is probably going to either be Burton Cummings or they'll dig up Louis Riel's corpse and trot it around on the ice a la Weekend at Bernie's.

:lol:

hey no debating here,...

best of luck in your born again franchise.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I like Nickelback.......
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • thefixer9 wrote:
    I like Nickelback.......
    We will never hold that against you, Bud! The rest of your tastes are A-1!
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I like Nickelback.......
    We will never hold that against you, Bud! The rest of your tastes are A-1!

YAY!!!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I love that they referenced Pearl Jam. lol.

And am so glad fans don't want them to play, I'm sure it would be the same for just about any band.
  • I don't want Chad Kroeger anywhere near my house. I'll kick his ass myself.

Why not the Tragically Hip? Canadian? YUP. Awesome? YUP. Hockey fans? YUP. They have several songs about hockey!!! But no, Bettman doesn't want a Canadian band that doesn't translate for his precious US audience for the season kick off.

He might as well get NKOTBSB if he's thinking about Nickelback.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014