Options

putting life in perspective...

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
i know i've been bitchin' and cryin' a lot here lately.....mea culpa. life's been a bit rough with me these past 11 months, but i also KNOW and try to appreciate, in the scheme of things, i am still so damn FORTUNATE.

case in point:
http://montville.patch.com/articles/mar ... fghanistan

my oldest sister just sent this link to me. this young man is one of my nephew's best friends.
beyond words...
:(
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I'm sorry to read about this....

I know sometimes my life gets a little rough and I have days that are hell.... but still I have to realize that there are far worse going on in the world and I'm very lucky....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    Yikes! This young man is going to have the huge challenge of trying to appreciate the good in his life while dealing with the loss of his legs. :cry:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Poor young man. Unfortunately, we'll be seeing a lot of young men and women coming home like this.
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    poor kid.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    on the upside... adrian came home alive.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    without looking at the link, things could always be worse.

People myself included tend to bitch about the stupidest things in their life. Life's hard, get a helmet.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    brother123 wrote:
    without looking at the link, things could always be worse.

People myself included tend to bitch about the stupidest things in their life. Life's hard, get a helmet.

dont need a helmet.. got a hard hard head. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I'm very sorry the solider had to experience that.

To address life in perspective, though, sometimes perspective takes a different turn. It may result in our looking at our life compared to our life; we may not need to look at another person's trauma to feel justified feeling sorrow. Sometimes life is extremely difficult.

I was at my lowest point in almost 30 years about a week before Thanksgiving 2010. I was talking to my sister, and out of the blue she said You are Allowed to Take Up Space. It's as if she was the conduit for me to hear that living was still an option. I looked at my life from the perspective that my life was worth living. It was the first step in crawling out of a very deep hole. It was truly a scary time, but no matter the winter there was a spring time ahead.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Life isn't fair, and it's why I count my blessings every day. :) You just never know. Live life to the fullest while you can and handle the bad times as best you can....it's all you can do!
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    the big picture...

life and beyond is a journey, many bumps a long the way

we bump into each other, cause and effect each bump

share kindness it smooths the way for us all

the love you receive is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    There is always someone on this earth has it worse then us....it doesn't mean our struggle and pain isn't hard for US! Our area got hit hard last weekend after Irene. Lots of roads gone, and people lost their homes to flooded rivers. The major roads were closed for several days making it very difficult for people to get to work. On Wednesday they were finally open and people went to work with no problem. The commute home one of the roads was again jammed with traffic. Someone on my facebook complained about the traffic, little did she know WHY we were stopped, a man was killed in a motorcycle accident. We all made it home, late but in one piece. This man's life is done, he didn't come home to his wife and children. Always be grateful for each day you are given.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'm very sorry the solider had to experience that.

To address life in perspective, though, sometimes perspective takes a different turn. It may result in our looking at our life compared to our life; we may not need to look at another person's trauma to feel justified feeling sorrow. Sometimes life is extremely difficult.

I was at my lowest point in almost 30 years about a week before Thanksgiving 2010. I was talking to my sister, and out of the blue she said You are Allowed to Take Up Space. It's as if she was the conduit for me to hear that living was still an option. I looked at my life from the perspective that my life was worth living. It was the first step in crawling out of a very deep hole. It was truly a scary time, but no matter the winter there was a spring time ahead.

oh i agree ms. haiku, i don't mean at all for us to downplay our own experiences or not see the validity in our own sorrows. believe me, i feel totally legit wallowing from time to time, i earned it. :? :x :lol: and sure, at times i get sick of always trying to look on the bright side and being thankful life could be worse, yada, yada.

that said, i am not 18 years old, my whole life ahead of me...and lost my legs. :shock:
    i just cannot even imagine facing that future...and you bet...makes me thankful, in the scheme of things, to have the problems i face, as difficult as they may be. that is all.

btw i truly appreciate your sister's words..."you are allowed to take up space."
    i will be sure to remember that.
    :thumbup:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow