[9/11] Are you ready to be media blizted

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Yahoo alrady has a little something up. Radio has started talking about it. It's only a matter of time until we are in full on 24/7 coverage...

But my real question is....

what was it like back in the day with pearl harbor? Or D day, or V day, or THE bomb day in japan?

just curious.
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm boycotting everything 9/11 related. I don't get the fascination with it still.

Speaking as someone who was fortunate to not have lost someone close that day, I feel like I've seen it all, and seeing how the loss of 3,000+ people has been used as a marketing & political tool over the years, just makes me sick.

And for people directly affected by that tragedy, I can't imagine them wanting to relive those emotions yet again.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    im not even going into work on charity day this year..i cant take the cameras and reporters in my face all day
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    I'm boycotting everything 9/11 related. I don't get the fascination with it still.

Speaking as someone who was fortunate to not have lost someone close that day, I feel like I've seen it all, and seeing how the loss of 3,000+ people has been used as a marketing & political tool over the years, just makes me sick.

And for people directly affected by that tragedy, I can't imagine them wanting to relive those emotions yet again.

you dont get it because you didnt lose family and friends..

its for their memory ..it hurts t relive...but its in their honor
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    ....has been used as a marketing & political tool over the years.....

Time to let it be.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,230
    edited August 2011
    What I meant to say is besides the news the only things I watch related to the coverage are the documentaries that appear on channels such as the History and National Geographic Channel. To me those are historic entities and the investigation into any type of event in history is always fascinating to me.

And telling anyone to get over this is as disrespectful as anyone who believes the conspiracies.
    Post edited by xavier mcdaniel on
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I rarely watch the news as it is, this will just clinch it.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I don’t understand why anyone would get upset about the fact that they will talk about it again this year, especially on the 10th year anniversary and especially since we got bin Laden this year.

It’s still an open wound for those who lost loved ones that day. They will never fully heal.

I think the least we can do is take some time to remember that instead of getting upset about media coverage.

and as far as back in the day with Pearl Harbor or dropping the bomb, those are still remembered to this day on the anniversary of the event, 9/11 will be no different, it will always be remembered and revisited year after year after year.

It's part of our history.
    I don’t understand why anyone would get upset about the fact that they will talk about it again this year, especially on the 10th year anniversary and especially since we got bin Laden this year.

It’s still an open wound for those who lost loved ones that day. They will never fully heal.

I think the least we can do is take some time to remember that instead of getting upset about media coverage.

and as far as back in the day with Pearl Harbor or dropping the bomb, those are still remembered to this day on the anniversary of the event, 9/11 will be no different, it will always be remembered and revisited year after year after year.

It's part of our history.

some people just don't get it...and they are the ones who didn't lose anyone or had debris and body parts fall on them ...

it amazes me how insensitive some people can be

if you don't want to watch it fine..but don't piss all over it
    surprisingly enough, that's the first day I visited the PJ forum, didn't know what I stumbled upon and I saw something that said "Plane crash at WTC". I had no idea what I was looking at and then the phone rang.

My brother was on his way to NY that morning and was turned around. I had to pick him up at work, it was a very eerie drive, everyone on the road just kind of staring out into space.

I remember it like it was yesterday.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Awful Day, atleast it's on a Sunday this year.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    and on top of all the media blitz....

Cubs at Mets for Sunday Night Baseball. Could they find a worse matchup. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    81 wrote:
    Yahoo alrady has a little something up. Radio has started talking about it. It's only a matter of time until we are in full on 24/7 coverage...

But my real question is....

what was it like back in the day with pearl harbor? Or D day, or V day, or THE bomb day in japan?

just curious.

Anytime that anything happens that is even slightly news worthy we get media blitzed. So I've become somewhat accustomed to it. When Anna Nicole Smith died you would have thought a royal family member of some country died. If a little white girl gets kidnapped it's a huge story. If Brett Favre hasn't decided if he's going to play this year, some reporters will be camped out on his lawn.

9/11 is certainly different, I don't mean to compare it to those things. But just like with anything else that happens, the news have no volume dial. A story these days pretty much just gets a mention, or a national media blitz. There is hardly any middle ground.

As for the way things were back in WWII. I obviously don't know, because I wasn't alive. I know those things were big stories, but mass media didn't really have the capabilities to go for an all out blitz on the public the way they do today. Radio, newspaper, and newsreel at the theaters (I don't know how often those were updated or how long they took to produce) were the only ways to get at people. There was no 24 hour news cycle.

Anyways, if you're not interested in the 9/11 coverage, you can avoid it. Just don't watch the news, try watching channels that aren't that topical. Comedy Central (except for Daily Show and Colbert) or something like that, and if you're in the car just listen to a CD or an iPod. That's essentially how I wound up going several hours on 9/11 without knowing that anything had actually happened. It wasn't until I went into a record store and they were watching the coverage that I realized we'd been attacked.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    81 wrote:
    and on top of all the media blitz....

Cubs at Mets for Sunday Night Baseball. Could they find a worse matchup. :lol:

leave it to you to find some humor in this. :D

and yes I laughed.
    White Sox/Yankee's would have been a more interesting matchup. ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Awful Day, atleast it's on a Sunday this year.

yea my company is doing the charity day on monday ..we raised 10 million last year ...great for the charities and families
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    81 wrote:

Diamondback's / Yankee's since they were in the World Series that year.
    voidofman wrote:
    81 wrote:

Diamondback's / Yankee's since they were in the World Series that year.

White Sox @ Yankee's would have been the way to go....

although i guess with the Cubs and Mets, you still have the city's matched up.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    and for all you people who talk shit...i wish you experienced what i did

watching the towers coming down..and people jumping to their death and all the burnt cars and on and on

tv is powerful enough but if you were in the middle of it you would think differently..i guarantee it

everybody talks about what a great community this is..... :roll:

yea big deal..someone sent an album to someone else ..or someone gave a spare ticket to someone else...big freaking deal

have some compassion for serious issues.....worried about the media...don't fucking watch it ...simple
  • and for all you people who talk shit...i wish you experienced what i did

watching the towers coming down..and people jumping to their death and all the burnt cars and on and on

tv is powerful enough but if you were in the middle of it you would think differently..i guarantee it

yea big deal..someone sent an album to someone else ..or someone gave a spare ticket to someone else...big freaking deal

have some compassion for serious issues.....worried about the media...don't fucking watch it ...simple

Cue the fucking violins buddy.
    You seem to think you are the only one who has "experienced" the death of a loved one.
    Whenever a post is made about this subject, you love to come here and say how people "don't get it",
    how insenstive they are or how because they weren't there then they don't understand.
    Refresh my memory, who did you lose on September 11th?

I lost all 4 of my grandparents before I was 13 years old to cancer.
    I watched helplessly as both of my parents succumbed to cancer as well.
    2 weeks ago, I stood by the bed of my wife's uncle as he was taken off life support and we watched
    him die.

You choose to come here and berate people because they don't share the same opinion as you
    on how to grieve or what to say?

Let it go dude, we're all going to die some day.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    I see both sides of it to an extent. I don't get the problem with media coverage though, it's a major major event that changed the world and thousands of families.

I lost my old man this year too and had to watch him die when we took him off life support and I don't think Neily is putting anyone down or taking away anything from what other people have lost. The difference is, he gets it rubbed in his face every year and has to see video of it every year. I don't have to see a video of my dad taking his last breaths every March 4th. I get what you are saying but everyone grieves differently and a lot of people lost family members in a very public way that is replayed every year.

Does it make it any harder? I don't think so. I will remember the day my dad died just like Neily will remember 9/11, but the difference is his was much more public.

Just my 2 cents.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I see both sides of it to an extent. I don't get the problem with media coverage though, it's a major major event that changed the world and thousands of families.

I lost my old man this year too and had to watch him die when we took him off life support and I don't think Neily is putting anyone down or taking away anything from what other people have lost. The difference is, he gets it rubbed in his face every year and has to see video of it every year. I don't have to see a video of my dad taking his last breaths every March 4th. I get what you are saying but everyone grieves differently and a lot of people lost family members in a very public way that is replayed every year.

Does it make it any harder? I don't think so. I will remember the day my dad died just like Neily will remember 9/11, but the difference is his was much more public.

Just my 2 cents.

Well put, Cliffy.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

And a very level-headed/reasonable 2 cents at that. Probably what the thread needed at this point, less it spiral into a heated and un-civil argument.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

And a very level-headed/reasonable 2 cents at that. Probably what the thread needed at this point, less it spiral into a heated and un-civil argument.

I concur wholeheartedly.

Very well said.
    and for all you people who talk shit...i wish you experienced what i did

Cue the fucking violins buddy.
    You seem to think you are the only one who has "experienced" the death of a loved one.
    Whenever a post is made about this subject, you love to come here and say how people "don't get it",
    how insenstive they are or how because they weren't there then they don't understand.
    Refresh my memory, who did you lose on September 11th?

I lost all 4 of my grandparents before I was 13 years old to cancer.
    I watched helplessly as both of my parents succumbed to cancer as well.
    2 weeks ago, I stood by the bed of my wife's uncle as he was taken off life support and we watched
    him die.

You choose to come here and berate people because they don't share the same opinion as you
    on how to grieve or what to say?

Let it go dude, we're all going to die some day.

lost an uncle ,cousin and 90 odd friends /co workers

im just tired of people with the fucking media....if you don't wanna see it ..don't watch it

the people who talk so nonchalantly are the ones who have no feelings for that day

just don't watch the news if it bothers you so much..but don't make it sound like 9/11 rremembrance should just go away ..THAT'S FUCKING RUDE AND INSENSITIVE

i to lost all 4 gp's before 15 so i know that feeling
    Let's not turn this into anything nasty. Neily was there and I'm sure it is different being there. But it doesn't mean we weren't all affected by it.

Just like my nephew who is a Marine, when he came back from Afghanstan, I asked him what it was like, and he said, you know what you see on TV, it's like that only every where you look. 360 degrees.
    im just tired of people with the fucking media....if you don't wanna see it ..don't watch it

just don't watch the news if it bothers you so much..but don't make it sound like 9/11 rremembrance should just go away ..THAT'S FUCKING RUDE AND INSENSITIVE

where did anyone say there shouldn't be any coverage?

unless you lock yourself in a room and leave the TV/Radio/Internet off, you are going to see it. it's already started.

relax my man....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I'm boycotting everything 9/11 related. I don't get the fascination with it still.

this is soo fucking disrespectful,its sickening
  • this off topic. sorry.
    i looking for a jpg that has been floating around facebook.

it's all in text, black background i do believe.
    pretty much summing up why the media sucks.

i'm kicking myself for not saving it.
    figured if anybody, you fine folks would have it.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    It's a day to never be forgotten. Plain and simple. Thousands lost their lives and hundreds of thousands more were affected directly from those losses and more than a quarter of a billion Americans were directly affected by those actions of that day. That day changed the World. Brought the hate that is out there for the American public and shoved it squarely in our face. Never never never forget this day. :(
  • Obviously theres going to be some press but I think its going to be significantly less than last year which was of course the 10 year remembrance. Last year for me really made an impression because i guess it took a decade for it all to sink in. Such a horrific mindblowing thing to have happen. Hard to wrap your mind around.

Its always shocking to me, thinking about teenagers now in 2012. Alot of them probably were too young to even remember the events of that day. Hard to fathom anyone like that.

I'll definitely be listening to The Rising and The Disintegration Loops.