The ten most liveable cities in the world

PapPap Posts: 28,789
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
according to Economist Intelligence Unit.

10. Auckland, New Zealand (population 1.350.000)
5_auckland.jpg
9. Adelaide, Australia (Adelaide United)
adelaide.jpg
8. Perth, Australia (45 Celsius degrees in February)
perth-skyline.jpg
7. Sydney, Australia (Sydney Olympics in 2000)
0-sydney_master.jpg
6. Helsinki, Finland (Finland's capital)
Helsinki.jpg
5. Calgary, Canada (Calgary Flames)
Calgary%20Night%20Skyline.jpg
4. Toronto, Canada (Toronto Raptors)
7.gif
3. Vienna, Austria (the most liveable European city according to Economist Intelligence Unit )
thumb3_donnerbrunnen_fountain_vienna_austria.jpg
2. Vancouver, Canada (the biggest port in Canada)
27300135_78b64606fa.jpg
1. Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne_docklands_twilight.jpg

For me, if I have to choose the most liveable city amongst these ten cities I would go with Vancouver. For you?
Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Your list is broken....no city list can be complete without NY at the top

well there you have it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    from that list...i'd give Perth a whirl.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PapPap Posts: 28,789
    81 wrote:

well there you have it.
    What are you talking about now? Athens is #67! Can you believe it? :)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • 4 Australian cities and 3 Canadian in the top 10.

awesome.

I would Choose #4 but I'm biased.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    I am curious what the criteria is for "liveable"? I mean Vancouver is a beautiful city and I have spent sometime living there myself. But the average home price in Vancouver is over 1 million dollars, so you might as well say this is a list of the 10 most liveable cities if money is no object.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I think one of these things come out every week. The one I read last week had Munich as the most liveable city, and there was one posted on here a couple of weeks ago that had Vienna at #1. The EIU's list gets a lot of criticism for focusing on English speaking places, or places you can get by without knowing the local language. Evidenced by every city on this list but 2 being English speaking places.

By the way, the EIU's highest ranking American city was Pittsburgh, so that should tell you that something is wrong with their system.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    I am curious what the criteria is for "liveable"?
    I think the economic status of a city. Or better the average salary per habitant.
    By the way, the EIU's highest ranking American city was Pittsburgh, so that should tell you that something is wrong with their system.
    I know nothing about Pittsburgh, but the other clues that you just gave us are strong evidences that EIU's system is not the best or the most representative.
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    81 wrote:
    from that list...i'd give Perth a whirl.

45 degrees C = 115 F FUCK THAT!!!!

Auckland is an OK city but I wouldn't want to live there. I'd probably go with Sydney - I love it there and have a lot of family and friends living there.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    81 wrote:

well there you have it.
    it's the city that never sleeps.
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    What's wrong with Pittsburgh? It's a great place to live/raise a family. Not sure if that factors into it, but decent schools, good sports teams, great art scene, plenty to do.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Boston.

End thread.

Go to bed.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    conman wrote:
    81 wrote:

well there you have it.
    it's the city that never sleeps.
    I'd live there.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,719
    From that list, Vancouver, or Toronto, Canada but because they are the only two cities of the ten that I've been to. Both are beautiful cities. Not a scrap of litter anywhere. Beautiful gardens abound! I would also add Victoria B.C. to that list. Beautiful scenery and great tea! I'm a coffee drinker but if I lived in Victoria I'd put up with the stained teeth and switch to tea!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    brianlux wrote:
    From that list, Vancouver, or Toronto, Canada but because they are the only two cities of the ten that I've been to. Both are beautiful cities. Not a scrap of litter anywhere. Beautiful gardens abound! I would also add Victoria B.C. to that list. Beautiful scenery and great tea! I'm a coffee drinker but if I lived in Victoria I'd put up with the stained teeth and switch to tea!

Go with Toronto, Smarchee will make you something good to eat and you can learn from him how to keep a tidy apartment.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Go to bed.
    Actually, I'm going right now. Good night from London everybody! :)
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    EZ1221C wrote:
    What's wrong with Pittsburgh? It's a great place to live/raise a family. Not sure if that factors into it, but decent schools, good sports teams, great art scene, plenty to do.

Well I know nothing about raising a family in Pittsburgh, or the schools, as I've only been there as a visitor. One of the main reasons I found that ranking surprising, as Pittsburgh is often ranked in the top 3, if not the top spot, for air pollution and air quality. The first time I went there in the mid 90's we got up one morning and went to our car, and it was covered in soot, apparently from nearby steel mills and finishing plants.

Pittsburgh also has a high crime rate. It's violent crime rate is more than twice the national average.
    The crime rate in Pittsburgh is considerably higher than the national average across all communities in America from the largest to the smallest, although at 49 crimes per one thousand residents, it is not among the communities with the very highest crime rate. The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Pittsburgh is 1 in 20. Based on FBI crime data, Pittsburgh is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh has a crime rate that is higher than 95% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.

It's an OK town for entertainment, but not the best. The times I've been there I managed to stay busy, but I wasn't exactly having a ball.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • I left #5 Calgary for this shitty ass city that is really just a big town. Stupid Ottawa. :roll:
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,719
    brianlux wrote:

Go with Toronto, Smarchee will make you something good to eat and you can learn from him how to keep a tidy apartment.

Toronto sounds fine! Good eats sounds great! Tidying up I've already got down- just shove everything under the bed and the couch! :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i already live in one of those 'most liveable' cities but if i had to pick one outside my own country id pick vancouver.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I miss Vancouver. : (

But I don't like the shitty attitude of most people on the street who think they are better than everyone else when they can't even reply when you or your 1 year old daughter says a friendly hello. Lighten up you twats!
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    I live in #5-Calgary. Great green spaces. We live in a great neighbourhood that is safe and has great schools. We are only 45 min from the Rocky Mountains and 1 hour from Banff.
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Woot! Woot for Auckland! That's our Mayor's catch phrase, he wants Auckland to be the world's most livable cities.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I'd take Sydney....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    EZ1221C wrote:
    What's wrong with Pittsburgh?
    You would be surrounded by Steeler's fans and Crosby worshippers! :sick: :thumbdown:

8-)
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I'd take Sydney....

thats a given. 8-)

but if you HAD to choose another????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I am with the OP; I love Vancouver. I'd live there.
  • Melbourne is the best, the rest in Australia don't compare.
    Proud to be a Melburnian. :)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Melbourne is the best, the rest in Australia don't compare.

i love melbourne but the rest of australia does compare, 'cept maybe radelaide.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Melbourne is the best, the rest in Australia don't compare.

Aw I love Adelaide :) Tiny little city with perfect hair weather and you can actually get a parking spot in the city!
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    Melbourne is the best, the rest in Australia don't compare.

Aw I love Adelaide :) Tiny little city with perfect hair weather and you can actually get a parking spot in the city!

tiny little cities freak me out.. sometimes size does matter. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say