My oldest nephew is joining the Navy

patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
He's done 2 yrs of collage and feels he is just wasting money. He wants to try something different and challenge himself. He's excited and looking forward to training and being shipped out after the first of the year. He told myself and the rest of the family this past weekend. I'm ok with it but alittle nervous and I know my mom and sister are too. But he has to do what is best for him. I shook his hand and congratulated him. I know his great grandfather would be proud also. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i've been in for a little over 4 years, did he go through MEPS yet? what will his job be?
  • conman wrote:
    i've been in for a little over 4 years, did he go through MEPS yet? what will his job be?

I don't know what MEPS is. But I just heard today that he scored very high on the test you take. And because he has 2 yrs of collage under his belt he can start out in a better spot and get paid more. So far so good.
    conman wrote:

I don't know what MEPS is. But I just heard today that he scored very high on the test you take. And because he has 2 yrs of collage under his belt he can start out in a better spot and get paid more. So far so good.
    that's good, MEPS is where he'll go for the physical screening(blood work, fingerprints, eye and ear tests) all that fun stuff and after that he'll choose what his job will be. sounds like he'll have plenty of options.

also he'll find out when he leaves for boot camp after he chooses a job
  • Well it's official my nephew took his oath today and is in the Navy for 8 yrs. He leaves in March for boot camp. Submarine Electrical Technician

I'm worried but very proud of my godson. :|:)
    you know what they say about submarines?
    100 men go down, 50 couples come up :P

i kid, i kid that's actually not a bad job, he'll have plenty of options if he decides not to make the navy a career
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Wow! Congrats! I can't imagine committing to something for 8 years, I commend him for having that kind of intestinal fortitude.

Submarines. Yikes. I guess he isn't claustrophobic!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • conman wrote:

i kid, i kid that's actually not a bad job, he'll have plenty of options if he decides not to make the navy a career

Awwww man that was wrong to say but funny. ;)

He's excited and happy to be doing this. It's 5 yrs active duty and then 3 yrs reserves.
    conman wrote:

He's excited and happy to be doing this. It's 5 yrs active duty and then 3 yrs reserves.
    that's what i did, my active service is almost up(7 months) and then the reserves

as for the joke, it's an old one and i'm sure your nephew will hear a million times while he's in
  • conman wrote:
    conman wrote:

that's what i did, my active service is almost up(7 months) and then the reserves

as for the joke, it's an old one and i'm sure your nephew will hear a million times while he's in

No worries about the joke.

Almost 5 yrs in did you see any action?

No worries about the joke.

Almost 5 yrs in did you see any action?
    nope, and i've been with the Marines the whole time... i think i just lucky.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    my nephew has gone off to florida and is in the navy now too
    scares me quite a bit
    but i am very proud of him for following his heart nonetheless
    totally get where you're coming from
    best to your nephew and mine, and all the other young men out there doing what they think is best
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    Great for him! I spent 10 years in. Although I went directly after HS, college wasn't right for me then. I got a bunch of credits while I was in and got my degree afterwards. It was a great ride, and I would do it again.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Well today is the day my nephew leaves for Great Lakes, IL for 9 weeks then off to the eastcoast. Gonna miss my godson and I'm kinda worried alittle bit. But he's excited and ready to start is new life and I'm happy for him. I really haven't had much emotion about this but yesterday and this morning it's hitting me. My sister is a wreck and has been crying alot these past few days. Her oldest son is leaving and I feel so bad that my sister is having a hard time with this. Seeing my nephew yesterday was great and we all enjoyed hanging out one last time until the next time. So proud of him and worried at the same time.
    Well today is the day my nephew leaves for Great Lakes, IL for 9 weeks then off to the eastcoast. Gonna miss my godson and I'm kinda worried alittle bit. But he's excited and ready to start is new life and I'm happy for him. I really haven't had much emotion about this but yesterday and this morning it's hitting me. My sister is a wreck and has been crying alot these past few days. Her oldest son is leaving and I feel so bad that my sister is having a hard time with this. Seeing my nephew yesterday was great and we all enjoyed hanging out one last time until the next time. So proud of him and worried at the same time.
    ahh i remember the feeling. don't worry, he'll be fine. remember to write him letters while he's in boot camp.
    it's the only connection he'll have to the outside world and letters from home will make it easier for him.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576

I joined the Navy in 2000 and served 4 years. Believe me, he is probably feeling the same thing in Great Lakes right now. When I got there it was a whirlwind. You don't have time to stop and think of anything the first 48-72 hours. But then I fell into a routine, met some great people, and it was over before I knew it. It will definately be harder for you and your sister. I probably don't have to even say it, but WRITE LETTERS!!!! Lots of them and as often as you can. There is nothing more uplifting, for me at least, than recieving mail while your away from home. There is no TV, radio, or internet at boot camp so keep him informed of what's going on. Letters will be like gold to him believe me.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    conman wrote:
    ahh i remember the feeling. don't worry, he'll be fine. remember to write him letters while he's in boot camp.
    it's the only connection he'll have to the outside world and letters from home will make it easier for him.

Great advice conman, you beat me to it. Great minds think alike. :lol:
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    this all brought a tear ...
    good luck to your nephew and family
    Once we get his address he will be getting lots of mail. :)

He gets picked up today at noon and off he goes.
    i forgot to ask before, will he be stationed at Groton, CT?
    conman wrote:
    i forgot to ask before, will he be stationed at Groton, CT?

From what I hear yes he will be.
    wondering if you got your nephews address yet... what's his ship??
    Well yesterday morning my nephew graduated from great lakes naval academy. 550 graduated it was a sea of white. So happy and proud of my nephew. :) But also worried. We thought we would have the weekend to hang out b4 he shipped out to Groton, CT but only had a few hrs as they shipped them out late last nite. :( It's hard cause the feelings we had 9 weeks ago are back. But will see him in September. God bless and thank you to the men and woman in the military.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Well yesterday morning my nephew graduated from great lakes naval academy. 550 graduated it was a sea of white. So happy and proud of my nephew. :) But also worried. We thought we would have the weekend to hang out b4 he shipped out to Groton, CT but only had a few hrs as they shipped them out late last nite. :( It's hard cause the feelings we had 9 weeks ago are back. But will see him in September. God bless and thank you to the men and woman in the military.

Sad and I wish him well and I applaud what he's doing. :clap:
    DS1119 wrote:

Sad and I wish him well and I applaud what he's doing. :clap:

We took him out to lunch and 4 people came up to him and shook his hand and thanked him. My sister almost lost it each time. thanks btw.
  • Dec 21st 11am my nephew will be back in Wisconsin for the first time since March for 2 weeks. Best X-mas gift ever. :mrgreen:
  • Dec 21st 11am my nephew will be back in Wisconsin for the first time since March for 2 weeks. Best X-mas gift ever. :mrgreen:
    :clap::clap:
    Enjoy your time with him :)
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    :clap::clap:
    Enjoy your time with him :)

Ahhh we sure did but these 2 weeks flew by so fast. :(

Tonight his flight leaves and will see him in mid May for another week or so. By then he will know if he will be going to Hawaii or Seattle after that.

Last nite with a few family and friends we had another toast and wished him well. :)