Options

Matt Cameron in PJ

corduroy85corduroy85 Posts: 139
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I know that probably a lot of people on this message board would've thrown stuff at me having heard the following but I can't help it - it keeps bugging me and I just need to get it out of my system.

So here goes,

IMO Matt Cameron is an exceptional drummer and musician on the whole who deserves only the highest praise. However I feel that in PJ he rarely gets an opportunity to shine the way he can in songwriting as well as drumming.

Remember when he was in Soundgarden and all his musical contribution to the band, to name a few: writing credit in Jesus Christ Pose, Room a Thousand Years Wide, Fresh Tendrils, Mailman etc., not to mention his drumming style and the way his playing kept changing through his years in SG. Soundgarden was very democratic about contribution from each member of the band and each one of them had their moments where they could really show their ability to play and create great music. While in PJ Matt doesn’t have this freedom. He’s like this great player in a team who should be in a current lineup but has to sit on the bench almost all the way through the game.

Of course some of you would say that it’s not like he’s just drumming for the band without bringing anything to the table. Sure he did contribute to You Are, Get Right, Unemployable, Evacuation and some other songs. But it’s not enough. PJ is kind of a authoritarian band to me with Eddie at the helm.

So I guess all I’m trying to say is maybe they could give Matt a chance to provide more freedom to bring in his ideas as opposed to occasional writing credit.
Don't go messing with machoes!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    boogiemanboogieman Posts: 49
    I hear you. I listed to JC pose sometimes and think about it as well. I try to remember he is relatively new to the band and some things take time to gel. Everybody (especially the band) knows the guy can play his ass off, but the overall song has to be the goal.

He is getting his moments to shine on the skins lately (eflow solo fills, rats back in the line up) - the songwriting contriubutions I suspect we'll see over time. Also, he has been singing quite a bit too - when is that last time we've seen that?

Which gets me to thinking about Stoney - where the hell is Mankind? That needs to be dusted off and brought back out!

Enough from me. I'm still in the WPB and Columbia post glow...
    Perfect lefts come rolling in...loyal believer since '92
  • Options
    BTW his Even Flow drum solo reminds me of the similar main drum part in JCP.

Hope the situation will be fixed in the upcoming record (just can't wait for it to come out)

P.S. That's my first thread ever here:)
  • Options
    dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
    don't think he doesn't have free reign in ths band.....soundgarden and pearl jam are totally different bands.pearl jam is a much more straight forward band.the other 4 in the band know he's the shit......the rythmn section in general rocks.
    jeter drinks wine coolers
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    PJ is not *that* authoritarian anymore. This isn't 1993. Last I checked, other band members were contributing lots of shit, including Matt Cameron.

Evac, Get Right, You Are, Unemployable, Moonlight, etc etc etc etc. How many other bands have drummers that write even one song?

Frankly, looking at his list of "hits" -- I think PJ probably lets Matt write *too many* songs. There, I said it.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Well they have his jazz cd in the goods section, so the site is clearly showing his talents.

I seem to be the only one who noticed this, because everytime i mention it nobody respnds to it. But just letting you guys know, matts drumset is bigger for this tour. He has an extra crash cymbal in the middle and about 2 or 3 more small toms (about 8' and 10'). He uses it for parts in WMA. Hopefully next tour, or if its not too late already, he uses those extra toms for a cooler solo during evenflow.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I remembered there was something Eddie said...I'm at work so I couldn't check the CD, but TSIS had it...from the liners in Lost Dogs:

"Matt Cameron writes songs and we run to find step stools in order to reach his level,...what comes naturally to him leaves us with our heads cocked like the confused dogs that we are,...eventually getting it. Did we mention he's the greatest drummer on the planet?"
    -EV

More from TSIS:

Almost a year after Soundgarden's break-up, in summer 1998, Cameron was invited by rock-colleagues Pearl Jam to drum on the band's Yield Tour after the band's drummer Jack Irons left due to health issues. Soon, during the tour, he was invited to become a full-time member and he's been in the band ever since. Cameron had worked with members of the band before on the Temple of the Dog project and had helped them record some early demos in 1990. He is the longest serving drummer of the band and has recorded three studio albums (Binaural, Riot Act, and Pearl Jam) and several live albums. Cameron and the band have started recording Pearl Jam's ninth studio album and the fourth in which he will be performing.

Since joining Pearl Jam, Cameron has written the following songs for the band:

"Evacuation" (Binaural) ... music
    "In the Moonlight" (Lost Dogs/Binaural sessions) ... lyrics and music
    "Save You" (Riot Act) ... music (co-written)
    "Cropduster" (Riot Act) ... music
    "You Are" (Riot Act) ... lyrics (co-written), music, and played rhythm guitar
    "Get Right" (Riot Act) ... lyrics and music
    "Unemployable" (Pearl Jam) ... music (co-written)
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    Well they have his jazz cd in the goods section, so the site is clearly showing his talents.

I seem to be the only one who noticed this, because everytime i mention it nobody respnds to it. But just letting you guys know, matts drumset is bigger for this tour. He has an extra crash cymbal in the middle and about 2 or 3 more small toms (about 8' and 10'). He uses it for parts in WMA. Hopefully next tour, or if its not too late already, he uses those extra toms for a cooler solo during evenflow.

Yep, I've noticed the thread about his jazz cd there man. God I hope we'll get some crazy-ass drumming this tour and upcoming record:)
  • Options
    "Evacuation" (Binaural) ... music
    "In the Moonlight" (Lost Dogs/Binaural sessions) ... lyrics and music
    "Save You" (Riot Act) ... music (co-written)
    "Cropduster" (Riot Act) ... music
    "You Are" (Riot Act) ... lyrics (co-written), music, and played rhythm guitar
    "Get Right" (Riot Act) ... lyrics and music
    "Unemployable" (Pearl Jam) ... music (co-written)

...all awesome songs, and anyone who disagrees is a pussy.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    ...all awesome songs, and anyone who disagrees is a pussy.

No question. But we want more of his creative input!!!
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    I think jack was the best, matt a close 2nd...

in my tree...the ending is awesome ( Phil Collins/ Beatlesque heavy)
    listen to No Code's drums..who you are (zeppelin/byrds)

and Vitalogy..whippin & Not for you 'back pounding' sound to that CD

"heavy tight snare drum with loud floor toms"

jack impressed me on those albums

I'd like to have the BANDS opinion in years down the road in a book

"10 years & on...Pearl Jam"
    ..Pearl jam the next touring band like the STONES..if the tour in 2025...then
    we can say " all those yesterdays"
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    Jack didn't play on Vitalogy (except Stupid Mop), Dave A. did.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    crazygeo wrote:
    I think jack was the best, matt a close 2nd...

in my tree...the ending is awesome ( Phil Collins/ Beatlesque heavy)
    listen to No Code's drums..who you are (zeppelin/byrds)

and Vitalogy..whippin & Not for you 'back pounding' sound to that CD

"heavy tight snare drum with loud floor toms"

jack impressed me on those albums

I'd like to have the BANDS opinion in years down the road in a book

"10 years & on...Pearl Jam"
    ..Pearl jam the next touring band like the STONES..if the tour in 2025...then
    we can say " all those yesterdays"

I think every one of them is the best-sounding drummer on the records they helped create.

Oh, and you've just copy-pasted your post from another thread.
  • Options
    you want the guy who wrote Evacuation and Get Right to write more songs??!?!? are you high?!?! :D
  • Options
    I want the guy formerly of Soundgarden who co-wrote Mailman, Fresh Tendrils, Jesus Christ Pose, You Are, Unemployable, Get Right to write more songs so yeah;)