The third day of kindergarten...

JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
...and my daughter got into her first fight.

After school on Friday, the kids were hanging out on the playground and a second-grade boy (who happens to be a kid we know fairly well, as he was on my son's hockey and baseball teams this past spring/summer) came up to her and called her "fatty" for some reason*.

Her reaction? She smacked him in the head with her lunchbox. And not the soft-sided kind -- it's a hard plastic one, which still had a full water bottle and an ice pack in it. He ran away and she burst into tears and told my wife "that boy hurt my feelings."

The lesson here? If you're going to say mean things to girls, don't pick one that's got two brothers and takes karate classes.

* She's not fat.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    JTH wrote:
    ...and my daughter got into her first fight.

After school on Friday, the kids were hanging out on the playground and a second-grade boy (who happens to be a kid we know fairly well, as he was on my son's hockey and baseball teams this past spring/summer) came up to her and called her "fatty" for some reason*.

Her reaction? She smacked him in the head with her lunchbox. And not the soft-sided kind -- it's a hard plastic one, which still had a full water bottle and an ice pack in it. He ran away and she burst into tears and told my wife "that boy hurt my feelings."

The lesson here? If you're going to say mean things to girls, don't pick one that's got two brothers and takes karate classes.

* She's not fat.

71037_212976867449_4604204_n.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    kids are so mean ... do they get that from their parents?

I'm glad she stood up for herself but in the eyes of the school,
    both kids are wrong and punished the same ...
    that never made sense to me
    especially when there are witnesses so to speak...
    at least that is the way is was when my kids were in school

I'm sorry this happened to her...
    I can see she is a trooper and has learned much from her big brothers :D
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    pandora wrote:

In this case, if someone from the school had seen the incident, I believe she would have been the only one punished. She is the one who threw the first, and only, "punch."

My wife may have been the only adult who saw what happened. And she said that she was ready to punish my daughter until she found out what it was that triggered the response.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    JTH wrote:
    pandora wrote:

In this case, if someone from the school had seen the incident, I believe she would have been the only one punished. She is the one who threw the first, and only, "punch."

My wife may have been the only adult who saw what happened. And she said that she was ready to punish my daughter until she found out what it was that triggered the response.
    having been made fun of as a kid like that I know what it does long term... lifelong walls go up.

If others just knew what it felt like they wouldn't be so quick to make their fun at the expense of
    someone's heart.

One would think 50 years later people wouldn't be doing that anymore.

I guess the only thing a child can do is say 'I really don't care what you think' because that is eventually what they will learn ... it just takes so much time to learn that.