Apartment Leasing Question..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
In the past, I've always rented from large realty firms. I'd go view the apartment, and tell them then and there if I want it. At that point, they'd have me write a check to put money down for a security deposit, so I knew it would be mine well in advance of the move in date..

I'm dealing with a landlord now that owns probably one six unit building. The problem here is he doesn't speak English very well. He's eastern European if I had to guess. Because of this, he doesn't like to return phone calls, only responds by email..

So I've been going back and forth with him by email for a week now. I sent him all my credit/history info last Thursday. He's been responding every other day, but hasn't made it clear to me that the apartment is definitely mine. His first response email asked when I'd like to move in, so I gave him a date. His next response a few days later asked me if I would like to sign a lease, to which I replied yes. I haven't heard back from him since and he doesn't return my calls..

It sounds like I got the apartment, right? But I have nothing in writing. I'm pretty sure the lease is signed the day you move in, but what do I have to show that I reserved the apartment?

He seems very laid back. He didn't make it clear I owed a security deposit, just asked when I want to move in. :? It's hard to communicate the details with this guy. I really like the apartment, but I think I need a translator.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,954
    Ask him directly if you need to still be looking?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I'll make sure I do that after his next response if he doesn't make things clear, I but just hope he understands what I mean. :?
    Gob wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I'll make sure I do that after his next response if he doesn't make things clear, I but just hope he understands what I mean. :?
    ask this.

" Do I have the apt? or do I stiill need to look for a place?"
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    ask this.

" Do I have the apt? or do I stiill need to look for a place?"
    Is there any receipt he's supposed to give me or do I just have to trust his word?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Gob wrote:
    So I've been going back and forth with him by email for a week now. I sent him all my credit/history info last Thursday. He's been responding every other day, but hasn't made it clear to me that the apartment is definitely mine. His first response email asked when I'd like to move in, so I gave him a date. His next response a few days later asked me if I would like to sign a lease, to which I replied yes. I haven't heard back from him since and he doesn't return my calls..

It sounds like I got the apartment, right? But I have nothing in writing. I'm pretty sure the lease is signed the day you move in, but what do I have to show that I reserved the apartment?

He seems very laid back. He didn't make it clear I owed a security deposit, just asked when I want to move in. :? It's hard to communicate the details with this guy. I really like the apartment, but I think I need a translator.

no it doesnt sound like youve got the apartment. why would you think that? as you said yourself.. youve got nothing in writing.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    So he wants me to go in Sunday and sign a 6 month lease, followed by month to month.

Is that normal?

My mom just told me there is a scam going on in the city with Russian guys pretending to be landlords and collecting money. He wants cash or money order, first months rent plus security deposit. I'm not sure what to do now. He seemed trustworthy when I meet him.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Gob wrote:
    So he wants me to go in Sunday and sign a 6 month lease, followed by month to month.

Is that normal?

My mom just told me there is a scam going on in the city with Russian guys pretending to be landlords and collecting money. He wants cash or money order, first months rent plus security deposit. I'm not sure what to do now. He seemed trustworthy when I meet him.

no cash without receipt on the spot. and make sure any notice(and it should be a months notice) he needs to give before he asks you to leave is in the contract.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    I would honestly say if you're having this many problems before you even get the place then it might be worth looking around at other options. If something goes wrong and you really need him to come fix something it might not be done very quickly.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
    I would honestly say if you're having this many problems before you even get the place then it might be worth looking around at other options. If something goes wrong and you really need him to come fix something it might not be done very quickly.
    He responds by email soon after I call to leave a voice message, so I would think it will be fine..

My concern now is his legitimacy, based on what my mom heard.. I offered to put money down on the spot, but he insisted I fill out an application first and wait for approval, so that's a good sign, right? Not a scam?
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Go with your gut. To me it sounds shady!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Go with your gut. To me it sounds shady!
    My gut tells me its fine. If anything, the whole experience just made me feel he was just being cautious against me. My crazy mother likes to put worries in my head
  • capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    Gob wrote:
    He responds by email soon after I call to leave a voice message, so I would think it will be fine..

My concern now is his legitimacy, based on what my mom heard.. I offered to put money down on the spot, but he insisted I fill out an application first and wait for approval, so that's a good sign, right? Not a scam?

I agree with that. If it was somebody just wanting to steal your money then he probably would have jumped on the chance to take it then.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
    Are six month leases followed by month to month common?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Gob wrote:

little short....i've done a annual with a month to month.

i wouldn't do cash. i would insist on check. also might be worth doing some digging online to see who the owner is.

cook county recorder of deeds is a great site for this.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

i wouldn't do cash. i would insist on check. also might be worth doing some digging online to see who the owner is.

What about a money order?
    Gob wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

What about a money order?

that's basically cash.

i'm guessing he is trying to avoid a bounced check, assuming he is on the up and up.

my one time dealing with a non corporate land lord, he had no problem taking check

research is the key
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    This sounds like a scam. Email, cash, intermittent communication... something's not right here.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    This sounds like a scam. Email, cash, intermittent communication... something's not right here.
    I already met him in person. It's not a matter of him hiding his ID online. We've communicated 3 times in the past week. I was just getting anxious because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to put something down when I told him I wanted it. He just wanted a credit check first.

The more I think about the more it seems I was overreacting.. I'm just not sure about the six month lease thing. :?
    I also have his PO BOX info from where he wanted me to mail the application to. I would think a scam artist wouldn't need to give out this info. They would just want to do whatever they could do to get cash exchanged.. I was willing to fill it out and put money down on the spot, but he insisted I take my time and mail or email it back to him before he decided to let me put money down..

He's probably googling me for legitimacy as I type this. :lol:
    Gob wrote:
    I also have his PO BOX info from where he wanted me to mail the application to. I would think a scam artist wouldn't need to give out this info. They would just want to do whatever they could do to get cash exchanged.. I was willing to fill it out and put money down on the spot, but he insisted I take my time and mail or email it back to him before he decided to let me put money down..

He's probably googling me for legitimacy as I type this. :lol:
    PO Box? No fixed address?

Dude, wether you take this place or not. Check your credit history going forward.

The other thing you could do is go tho the apt building and ask the other people who live there now, what the deal is?

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Gob, reading through this you are the only person who thinks this is on the up and up.

Best of luck, hope it works out. I'd personally look elsewhere.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    Gob, reading through this you are the only person who thinks this is on the up and up.

Best of luck, hope it works out. I'd personally look elsewhere.

i don't think it sounds all that bad....a little caution is warrented, but full on freaking...naw
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Gob wrote:
    I'm just not sure about the six month lease thing. :?

that a sweet set up. 6 months and than month to month....you can move any time you want. i loved that freedom when i was on a month to month program.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    I'm just not sure about the six month lease thing. :?

that a sweet set up. 6 months and than month to month....you can move any time you want. i loved that freedom when i was on a month to month program.
    So I signed the lease today. Everything went smoothly and seemed legit. Even started moving some of my crap in, taking measurements and such..

When I got home I googled the address, only to come across a forclosure listing, so I paid $8 to see the document. Apparently this condo was in forclosure last October with my landlord listed as the defendant..

My sister works for a firm that handles forclosures and she is going to look into it for me to see if it is still in forclosure. If it is, he was legally obligated to tell me. I hope this isn't the case. :?

It's a small apartment. I suppose if it was in forclosure and I ended up really liking the place I could probably buy it and my mortgage would be less than half of what I'm paying in rent. :?

My guess is he was trying to sell it and couldn't, so he decided to start renting it to pay the bills. There isn't a big market for small one bedroom condos, especially in this economy. I wouldn't buy anything less than two bedroom.
    that sucks.

might also explain the desire for cash/money order vs. a check. no paper trail.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg