Black hole caught in act of swallowing a star

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44273287/ns ... ?GT1=43001

STAR LOVERS - CLICK THIS LINK AND WATCH THIS VIDEO
IT IS FUCKING AWESOME

For the first time, a black hole has been caught in the act of tearing apart and swallowing a star that got too close.

Scientists, who until now had witnessed only the aftermath of such events, say the observation is shedding light on "relativistic jets," bursts of matter that shoot out at nearly the speed of light.

At the centers of virtually all large galaxies are supermassive black holes. These monsters, which are millions to billions of times the mass of the sun, can rip apart passers-by, gravitationally pulling at stars in gigantic versions of how our moon tugs on Earth's oceans to generate tides.

Evidence for this destruction may come in the form of a bright flare of ultraviolet, gamma and X-rays, a flare that can theoretically last for years as the star is gradually consumed. Although scientists have observed the aftermath of such "tidal disruption" events several times, they had never seen the onset of one.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Too cool.

110825-BlackHolePhoto-hmed-0835a.grid-6x2.jpg
  • marveled at that earlier today. Awesome!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    THAT WAS AMAZING!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    thanks for posting :ugeek:

Very cool,
  • PRSNT10SPRSNT10S Posts: 206
    That twinkle twinkle little star didn't deserve that... I'll miss you little one, I'll miss you... :|
    Your words help me heal
    Redigested past regrets
    I see things clearer
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Sweet! :thumbup:
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    that was AWESOME!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Man, the universe is f-ing hungry! must be all the weed..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

:o Space weed!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    This is a great analog-y representing how Pearl Jam consumes us... 8-):lol:
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    dcfaithful wrote:

:o Space weed!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQYue6eZmlU
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    That can't be the real picture, right?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    That's freaking amazing!!!!
    Jason P wrote:
    That can't be the real picture, right?

From what I read, it is the NASA Animation of what the SWIFT recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azLDH9ZPbVs for the Canadians that can't see the video. :mrgreen:
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    For some reason when I read the title I thought of Courtney Love.?
    I'll be back
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    For some reason when I read the title I thought of Courtney Love.?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVEEvQq81vM7KzogAePGhjKFVGVmhkAxvmGrFdzXGuDd6LXoNC
    :mrgreen:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    TOTALLY AWESOME!

You see that's why I only hang around my favorite universal spot THE Sombero Galaxy....

300px-Sombrero_Galaxy_in_infrared_light_%28Hubble_Space_Telescope_and_Spitzer_Space_Telescope%29.jpg

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Yes it looked cool but like something from a sci fi movie ... not real but computer generated

black holes hold the questions and the answers

A black hole is a region of spacetime from which nothing, not even light, can escape.[1] The theory of general relativity predicts that a sufficiently compact mass will deform spacetime to form a black hole. Around a black hole there is a mathematically defined surface called an event horizon that marks the point of no return. It is called "black" because it absorbs all the light that hits the horizon, reflecting nothing, just like a perfect black body in thermodynamics.[2] Quantum mechanics predicts that black holes emit radiation like a black body with a finite temperature. This temperature is inversely proportional to the mass of the black hole, making it difficult to observe this radiation for black holes of stellar mass or greater.
    Objects whose gravity field is too strong for light to escape were first considered in the 18th century by John Michell and Pierre-Simon Laplace. The first modern solution of general relativity containing a black hole was found by Karl Schwarzschild in 1916, although its interpretation as a region of space from which nothing can escape was not fully appreciated for another four decades. Long considered a mathematical curiosity, it was during the 1960s that theoretical work showed black holes were a generic prediction of general relativity. The discovery of neutron stars sparked interest in gravitationally collapsed compact objects as a possible astrophysical reality.
    Black holes of stellar mass are expected to form when heavy stars collapse in a supernova at the end of their life cycle. After a black hole has formed it can continue to grow by absorbing mass from its surroundings. By absorbing other stars and merging with other black holes, supermassive black holes of millions of solar masses may be formed.
    Despite its invisible interior, the presence of a black hole can be inferred through its interaction with other matter. Astronomers have identified numerous stellar black hole candidates in binary systems, by studying their interaction with their companion stars. There is growing consensus that supermassive black holes exist in the centers of most galaxies. In particular, there is strong evidence of a black hole of more than 4 million solar masses at the center of our Milky Way.

in that great movie Event Horizon, means on the edge of no return, it was the way to hell or the chaos dimension 8-)

I'm in the mood for some sci fi now... a sci fi weekend... love space movies!

Thanks for posting chickweed... awesome weekend ahead :D