Cam Newton told "No Tattoos"

Comments

• Sort of like the Yankees' 'No Facial Hair' policy...

Mixed feelings. I have no issue whatsoever w/tattoos or piercings. However, I strongly support the employer's ability to set dress code expectations in a standard work environment. That being stated, the NFL is hardly a standard work environment and I would venture to guess that a high percentage of players on Richardson's team have either tattoos or piercings and a slightly lower percentage have both.
    Additionally I dont feel that Newton has the option to go work in an environment that welcomes his statements of individuality like tattoos and piercings. He is drafted and must play for Richardson for years until he becomes a free agent.

All of this adds up to Richarsdon having the right to say what he would 'like' his face-of-the-franchise players to appear like as representations of his brand but he has no validity in actually doing anything about it should Newton come in with 'sleeves' a nose ring and a prince albert next week.

Interesting....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this as well.

As the face of the Panthers, I can see Richardson's concern. However, if other players have tattoos and piercings, it is a huge double-standard.

Most places have a dress code for work. As long as Newton shows up in his uniform, ready to play, I see no big issue.

If earrings aren't allowed on the field by Richardson, take it out. If he doesn't like tattoos, cover them up.

He should have the right to live his life as he pleases. Abide by the team rules while you are playing and live your life off the field.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i could never play for the Yankee's. :lol:

he obviously can get tats and piercings without being fined....and if he pans out and turns into a good qb, the tema would sign him.

i dunno....as a sporsts fan, i just don't care what they do, as long as they aren't breaking the law.

and as a bulls fan, we had one of the best guys when it came to this stuff with rodman. Rose is getting there with the tats, although i hope he avoids the neck/face tat. those look dumb. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,433
    i think if you address the issue as a man and give the player a good solid reasoning on why you feel that way than i can understand and live with it. i understand Richardson's point and the case can be made that for a franchise player maybe he is right about what image you want to present. that being said i think forbidding someone, like you would a child (like the yankees and facial hair) seems a bit much to me.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I see nothing wrong with wanting to keep a certain "image" for your team.

It's a business like all others. If you go into a job interview and you haven't shaved or your full-arm tats are showing...you're probably not going to get the job. If you did, and you work with clients, etc. there is no way they'd let you look disheveled or showing your mega-tats in front of them...

Just sayin'
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    81 wrote:
    i dunno....as a sporsts fan, i just don't care what they do, as long as they aren't breaking the law.

and as a bulls fan, we had one of the best guys when it came to this stuff with rodman. Rose is getting there with the tats, although i hope he avoids the neck/face tat. those look dumb. :lol:

Exactly. I could give a shit what these guys do on their own time...just stay out of trouble.

Rose is starting to get a little out of hand with the tats...he has one on the top of his hand and I'm pretty sure he has one on the back of his neck. Not a good look.
  • mca47 wrote:

It's a business like all others. If you go into a job interview and you haven't shaved or your full-arm tats are showing...you're probably not going to get the job. If you did, and you work with clients, etc. there is no way they'd let you look disheveled or showing your mega-tats in front of them...

Just sayin'

Agree 100% in a free market economy. However the NFL buys his services and until he is a FA he has no say. If it is a team rule I support it fully. As is, it is not a team rule and fine for the Owner to ask him. And were I Newton I would respect the team owner. (Especially because he is gonna stink it up as a pro!) But he cannot make a policy for 1 player alone.

Shit, the NFL union would crap a brick if the owner did make a team policy. Would be cool to see one try to get it through just to see what happened
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    81 wrote:

Exactly. I could give a shit what these guys do on their own time...just stay out of trouble.

Rose is starting to get a little out of hand with the tats...he has one on the top of his hand and I'm pretty sure he has one on the back of his neck. Not a good look.

i can't find the neck one. he does have the outline of the city on his hand and a bunch of other ones.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i can't find the neck one. he does have the outline of the city on his hand and a bunch of other ones.

I think I started noticing it towards the end of the season...right on the back of his neck.
    you might be right....

i'll check next month when the preseason starts....errr...never mind.

can you go stalk him on your lunch hour.... :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    you might be right....

i'll check next month when the preseason starts....errr...never mind.

can you go stalk him on your lunch hour.... :lol:

I know, right? It's starting to set in that this NBA season is in big trouble.

The players cant even go to the berto center during the lockout...that would explain the lack of Bulls players I have seen on my lunch breaks the past couple months...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,572
    mca47 wrote:

Just sayin'

THEY DON'T HIRE YOU, CUZ YOU LOOK LIKE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!!!

anyone see philadelphia's mayor's speech on flash mobs the other week? it was fucking brilliant.
    www.myspace.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,572
    go to 3:08:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoxQbnVx4TU

rw will love this :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:

:

give him a year or two...he won't disappoint us

personally I think newton is gonna be an unmitigated disaster on and off the field in the NFL. So I'm excited for his career to get started :thumbup:
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    If it's not agreed upon in his contract he doesn't have to listen to this old fashioned way of thinking

Are they gonna release him if he gets a tattoo on his arm ?

:roll:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,821
    Sort of like the Yankees' 'No Facial Hair' policy...

Mixed feelings. I have no issue whatsoever w/tattoos or piercings. However, I strongly support the employer's ability to set dress code expectations in a standard work environment. That being stated, the NFL is hardly a standard work environment and I would venture to guess that a high percentage of players on Richardson's team have either tattoos or piercings and a slightly lower percentage have both.
    Additionally I dont feel that Newton has the option to go work in an environment that welcomes his statements of individuality like tattoos and piercings. He is drafted and must play for Richardson for years until he becomes a free agent.

All of this adds up to Richarsdon having the right to say what he would 'like' his face-of-the-franchise players to appear like as representations of his brand but he has no validity in actually doing anything about it should Newton come in with 'sleeves' a nose ring and a prince albert next week.

Interesting....

:lol::D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHv3aDa8n_A
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD