everybody take notes....

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
edited August 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
man i love this performance.
i wish randy had lived another 10 years and then we could have seen how great he could have been... he inspired me to pick up a guitar and i can play a lot of his licks, but i could never ever do them justice. this video shows many of his techniques and some of his gear....

he is such a loss to the metal world. as ozzy would say, "god bless you randy my friend"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AgPinVr ... _embedded#!
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Amazing player. So technical, but so ass kicking at the same time.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Amazing!!! Watching him play is like watching Eric Clapton. Everything he plays is so smooth and effortless looking. Not sure I'd be interested in the stuff he woulda moved onto but I don't think he woulda ever became the cartoon character that Zakk Wylde is.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    DewieCox wrote:
    Amazing!!! Watching him play is like watching Eric Clapton. Everything he plays is so smooth and effortless looking. Not sure I'd be interested in the stuff he woulda moved onto but I don't think he woulda ever became the cartoon character that Zakk Wylde is.
    The thing is, Zakk can play, but he is cartoonish.

And the Bullseye Les Pauls are ugly...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    DewieCox wrote:
    The thing is, Zakk can play, but he is cartoonish.

And the Bullseye Les Pauls are ugly...

Oh he can definitely fuckin fly all over the fretboard. I dunno how he does it with those viking hands. I think the pre-The Osbournes stuff he did with Ozzy measures up pretty well with the Rhoads stuff. Perry Mason is just outrageous guitar playing. Hard to really top stuff as classic as Blizzard and Diary, but Wylde does a much more than commendable job.

Once Zakk started adding the pinch harmonics literally every line and just being a big bs-er he started losing his luster for me.

I don't mind the original bullseye as he did it as a way to separate himself from RR, but just like his persona and the pinch harmonics...He takes somethin pretty damn cool and just overdoes it to the point of it being a joke.

I did get to shake the man's hand and before a BLS show he came out and passed out cases upon cases of budweiser. That was a pretty righteous experience.

I don't listen to much heavy stuff and the show was in a pretty tiny club and it got pretty intense. Got kicked in the face by a crowd surfer and lost my buddy's hat off my head among other things. Kinduva funny story. I was wearing the hat b/c security came through the line to check id's and since I didn't have one I got X'd...over 21 only, so I went and wiped my hands off and got back in line and added the hat. Got to the door and met the same security guard that x'd me and he looked me right in the eye and let me pass. Went all went pit all night and got separated pretty quick once BLS started. By the time the show was over and we met up, 2 of the guys were at the bar with one of their gf's, my gf who's now my wife was passed out under them on the floor against the bar, out of the remaining 3, I came up first, hat owning friend next, and before I can tell him I lost his hat, the other guy(his nephew) comes strollin up wearing it.
  • his technique is so smoothe. it looks effortless. and most times he is not even looking at the fretboard to see where he is!! :shock:

i wish there was more surviving video of him. we could all have learned so much from him.

i remember reading an interview with his mom and she said he did not want to be a touring musician his whole career. he wanted to open his own school and fuse classical guitar with hard rock/metal.
    in his book rudy sarzo also said that randy did not want to tour forever. he missed his family, g/f and friends too much on the road for long stretches, and ozzy's off stage antics wore on him and irritated him at times.

and the ironic thing is he told rudy on numerous occasions that he hates flying. i wish he would not have gotten in that plane that day...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."