I think my head is going to explode.

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I never thought it would be so hard to find an apartment. I never had a problem in the past. I'm spending tons on gas and tolls driving around places, not finding much and when I do it doesn't have or allow something I need, pets, parking, etc.. I've got landlords calling me back that I don't even remember calling, getting locations, details mixed up. :crazy:

I'm finding MANY more condos for sale and in better, often newly remodeled shape and at lower monthly costs. The problem is I don't think I'm ready to buy because I'm not sure where I want to settle down. My girlfriend works an hour drive from where I work, so finding the right location is tough. Most of the areas right in between are crap, so I'm leaning to looking closer to her work because she's having money problems. I can afford the tolls and gas, just sucks having to drive 30 or 40 minutes every time just to look at a place.

I've got 6 weeks left. I need direction.. and a beer. :?

***EDIT***

FINALLY found a place, except, the landlord wants to do a credit check before I claim it... I emailed him my info last night.

I don't want to be pushy, but should I give him a call Monday if I don't hear from him this weekend? I really like this place and don't want to be thrown back into the headache of finding a place.. In the past I usually signed the lease right after seeing the apartment.. credit check I think took a few days before they said I was ok, but I don't remember because I usually put money down right and assumed my credit was fine, which it is.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    get drunk and stay drunk :P
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    conman wrote:
    get drunk and stay drunk :P
    I've got 3 quarters a bottle of wine left in the fridge. I think I'll at least start off with that tonight before bed. :D
    FINALLY found a place, except, the landlord wants to do a credit check before I claim it... I emailed him my info last night.

I don't want to be pushy, but should I give him a call Monday if I don't hear from him this weekend? I really like this place and don't want to be thrown back into the headache of finding a place.. In the past I usually signed the lease right after seeing the apartment.. credit check I think took a few days before they said I was ok, but I don't remember because I usually put money down right and assumed my credit was fine, which it is.
    I guess my real concern here, having not signed the lease yet, is how long do credit checks take? And can they be done on the weekend? :?
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Wish I knew the answer to that for you!

Did you get something closer to GF?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)

Yes... It's kind of far for me to work though.. 30 miles, but it only took me 35 minutes to drive it.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Gob wrote:

Yes... It's kind of far for me to work though.. 30 miles, but it only took me 35 minutes to drive it.

you must commutte between the hours of 3am and 4am.

takes me 20 minutes to make my 7.5 mile drive

i wouldn't be too worried about the credit check.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

you must commutte between the hours of 3am and 4am.

takes me 20 minutes to make my 7.5 mile drive

i wouldn't be too worried about the credit check.
    Most of the drive is 294. Going north on it during rush hour is clear. People drive 80 miles per hour.. 10 minutes on 55, 15 minutes on 294 and 10 minutes on Touhy.. It's pretty quick.. until it snows. :?
    i used to work with a guy that would "work from home" if there was a flurry in des moines
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i used to work with a guy that would "work from home" if there was a flurry in des moines
    Definitely gonna need snow tires this year. I've never driven a car with worse traction.. I'm hoping it's just the factory tires. They've never been changed.
    snow tires are amazing. put some blizzarks on last year. wow.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    snow tires are amazing. put some blizzarks on last year. wow.
    I really miss my Wrangler. Snow was a non-factor.. My Civic, not so much. Gas is half the cost though.
  • Gob wrote:
    I guess my real concern here, having not signed the lease yet, is how long do credit checks take? And can they be done on the weekend? :?
    depending on how many places you've lived in before the credit check was done, and how long you lived in your last residence.. it can take up to 7 days but generally three to five days ( busisness days usually but not always) and I've had a credit check go through over a weekend, and you get the call on the following Monday. Just depends on which Credit check company the landlord uses, cause there's a shit ton!!