Options

Should 11-year-old forfeit $50K ?

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... key-shot/1

Should 11-year-old forfeit $50K he won for miracle hockey shot?

An 11-year-old who won $50,000 for a stunning hockey shot may have to forfeit the prize because he was standing in for his twin brother when the would-be contestant's name was called, the Faribault Daily News reports.

It was all part of a raffle at a charity hockey game in Faribault, Minn.

Fans paid $10 for a raffle ticket giving them a chance to send a puck 89 feet down the ice into a 3-and-a-half-inch goal. When Nick Smith's ticket was drawn, he was outside, so his twin brother, Nate, stepped in to take the shot.

When the puck sailed through the tiny goal, the place erupted "louder than a Stanley Cup game," one fan tells KARE-TV.

Nate and Nick's dad, Pat Smith, came forward Friday to tell event organizers that the other brother made the shot, not the one whose name was on the ticket.

"That's the right thing to do," he told KARE.

"Legally, it has to be the person whose name is on the ticket," April Clark, general manager for Odds On Promotions, the tournament insurance carrier, told the Toronto Star. "We really are very careful about explaining that it has to be the person."

An Odds On Promotion human resources representative will research why Nate took the shot for Nick and make the decision, she says.

The Smiths are hopeful -- and have earmarked the money for the twins' college fund.
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    yup the right person didn't take the shot so it's invalid. quite simple to me. not sure why it's even a question.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    same family...give it to em.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

i guess cheating pays in your book. don't understand the sentiment. just because they are 11-year olds doesn't make it ok that the wrong person took the shot. sorry folks. next...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,881
    pjhawks wrote:
    yup the right person didn't take the shot so it's invalid. quite simple to me. not sure why it's even a question.
    but his DNA DID take the shot. Douchebag move if they deny it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Regardless of the outcome, thumbs up to the dad for setting a good example for kids.

Really easy to sit back and collect on the cash. It isn't easy doing the right thing...but it's admirable.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited August 2011
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:

i guess cheating pays in your book. don't understand the sentiment. just because they are 11-year olds doesn't make it ok that the wrong person took the shot. sorry folks. next...

doesn't cheating involve intent?

why didn't the sponsor check id's before the shot?

i say reward the family for being honest and coming forward. split the 50k between the two brothers and put it into a college fund for each of them.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Regardless of the outcome, thumbs up to the dad for setting a good example for kids.

Really easy to sit back and collect on the cash. It isn't easy doing the right thing...but it's admirable.

PBM

exactly my thought.
    here's a compromise of sorts...they keep $25K & donate the rest to charity?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I see both sides of the argument..give the kid the money but at the same time they broke the rules

How about they do the shot over with the real contestant ?

:lol:

• Options
    81 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:

doesn't cheating involve intent?

i say reward the family for being honest and coming forward. split the 50k between the two brothers and put it into a college fund for each of them.

there was intent. the wrong kid knowingly took the shot knowing 100% that it was supposed to be his brother. there was no misunderstanding on who was supposed to take the shot.
  • Options
    we are talking about an 11 year old kid here...i doubt he had intent to defraud. he heard his brothers name, and when the brother wasn't around he jumped in like brothers are apt to do. following the stickler rule, don't give him the cash. i'm fine with that. but at the same time, you can reward the family/father for doing the right thing.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Cheaters never win

and

Winners never cheat

(nice shot though)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Contest and there rules . LOL ;)
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    81 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

I don't think 11 year olds carry ID.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

50K and no id check???
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    I can see how the promotion company is a stickler for the rules, especially when it can save $50,000, but it is not as if the other brother couldn't have purchsed his own raffle ticket.

The raffle tickets weren't sold based on the potential shooter's skill level, so it is not as if they were using a ringer.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Was the contest specifically for kids?
    Usually most contests like this are for 13+ or 16+ and must have an adult present.
    Where was the dad when the kid ran up to claim the spot for his brother? Why didn't the dad say something then? Why let the kid go up there, take the shot, and then after he wins, say "oh wrong kid-you gonna deny him $50k?" and make the sponsor look bad?
    "Must be present to win/participate" sorry, not the person they called up...I mean, can I have a twin stand in my place to collect a prize as an adult?

Yes, I am of the thinking, "Just because you participate doesn't mean you should get a trophy"

But to appease all parties involved, the money should be donated in the kid's name to a charity of the child's choosing...ALL $50K.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    My dad is a twin and he and his brother used to swap places in class at high school. My dad would do his brothers art class and my uncle dads shop class. Surfice to say they both passed those classes easily...

Cheating is cheating, but I doubt the boy knew the ramifications of his actions.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    81 wrote:

50K and no id check???

But what sort of id does an 11 year old even have???

I know here you might get an ID card for high school to check shit out of the library, but some don't even have a photo. The only other thing we have here are learners permits to drive at about 17, normal drivers license or a proof of age card to prove you are over 18 and can drink and vote and all that shit.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    why would you come forward about that.

shit, i wish i had a twin to blame all the dumb shit ive done on

amateurs!
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    why would you come forward about that.

shit, i wish i had a twin to blame all the dumb shit ive done on

amateurs!

What I was thinking.... :lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the organizers of the contest could care less ... it's the insurance company that has to pay it out ...

and i suspect they are balancing the PR with the fact that they really don't have to pay out that money ... i do commend the dad for being truthful but if he does it and thinks that the kids will still get the money - that really isn't integrity ... i suspect they came forward because it would have eventually leaked out one way or another ...

the family has to expect they will get nothing ...
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    good things come to good people

maybe we'll see these brothers in the pros earning big bucks for the family :D
  • Options
    81 wrote:

50K and no id check???

But what sort of id does an 11 year old even have???

I know here you might get an ID card for high school to check shit out of the library, but some don't even have a photo. The only other thing we have here are learners permits to drive at about 17, normal drivers license or a proof of age card to prove you are over 18 and can drink and vote and all that shit.

if you are going to hand out 50k, don't you think you should have proper creditials?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    if you are going to hand out 50k, don't you think you should have proper creditials?

Birth Certificate I would assume would be proper id for an 11 year old

• Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    81 wrote:

Birth Certificate I would assume would be proper id for an 11 year old

but that wouldn't even prove which kid was which. the parents could show either birth certificate for either kid and say that the kid who took the shot was which ever twin they wanted. unless they have started barcoding kids over there.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    What if the twins had a disproportionate DNA distribution like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito had in the "movie" Twins??? Maybe both kids got tickets but the parents sent in the ringer.

:think:

Not so 'effing fair, now is it! :twisted:
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Saw the story on the Today show...

the boys are fraternal twins...one is about 4 inches taller then the other

the father encouraged his son to take the place of his brother because he didn't think the shot would be made

after the kid made the shot, and after the cheers and after the whole hoopla, the father told his son to tell the truth

NOW how does that make you feel-still have the same stance?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    81 wrote:
    we are talking about an 11 year old kid here...i doubt he had intent to defraud. he heard his brothers name, and when the brother wasn't around he jumped in like brothers are apt to do. following the stickler rule, don't give him the cash. i'm fine with that. but at the same time, you can reward the family/father for doing the right thing.

doing the right thing is its own reward.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    I read that they were identical twins, and the other brother was outside playing so the one who was present (but not specifically summoned) took the shot instead. Honestly, if you watched the video of the shot I think it's amazing that anyone could have even gotten that puck in the tiny little hole from so far away. I think the kid who did it deserved to keep the money, because I feel like no matter who they called down to take the shot, no one else would have probably made it anyway.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I read that they were identical twins, and the other brother was outside playing so the one who was present (but not specifically summoned) took the shot instead. Honestly, if you watched the video of the shot I think it's amazing that anyone could have even gotten that puck in the tiny little hole from so far away. I think the kid who did it deserved to keep the money, because I feel like no matter who they called down to take the shot, no one else would have probably made it anyway.

.. well i guess we may never know.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say