I need your advice...

nsepstrunsepstru Posts: 187
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I started a new job at an outdoor type retail store think BassPro or Cabelas and I love it. I've been there about 2 and 1/2 months now but I'm only making $8.50/hr as it is retail work. I applied for a job at John Deere about 5 months ago and just today got a call to set up an interview...I had all but given up on hearing from them. My dilemma is that John Deere will pay at least $15.50/hr starting out, assuming I would get the job, but I really am enjoying my current position and the people I work with. Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance folks!
I'm not human...I'm Danish!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    WhenMoneyTalks.jpg
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Well, if the money doesn't mean that much to you, and you'd be just as happy making less, then I'd say to stay. Something else you might consider is advancement. I don't know if this is just a job while you're going to school, or what your plans are, but if you're looking at long-term, you'd probably have a better chance at a career with John Deere than with the outdoor retail job.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • nsepstrunsepstru Posts: 187
    They $$ is the only reason I'm considering it. I'm still hesitant especially because there are only 3 of us full timers in the camping dept. and one guy just got promoted so now we are down to just 2 and I'd feel pretty bad leaving them hanging like that...
    Well, if the money doesn't mean that much to you, and you'd be just as happy making less, then I'd say to stay. Something else you might consider is advancement. I don't know if this is just a job while you're going to school, or what your plans are, but if you're looking at long-term, you'd probably have a better chance at a career with John Deere than with the outdoor retail job.

I think I will set up the interview and just check the situation out, can't hurt right? I'm sure I could probably go to part time at my current job without a problem...
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Go for the new job pal... double the money... If your not happy in it, at least you can buy things to make you happy :)
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    nsepstru wrote:
    They $$ is the only reason I'm considering it. I'm still hesitant especially because there are only 3 of us full timers in the camping dept. and one guy just got promoted so now we are down to just 2 and I'd feel pretty bad leaving them hanging like that...

you gotta go to john deere. almost twice the pay. it's nice that you feel bad for those people but the truth is you've only been there 2 months and don't owe them anything...especially for a retail job that's not going to be your career or something.

heed mr. deere's call.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Money isn't always happiness.
    I would rather a great boss and great colleagues over extra money.
    The place you may choose to go to may be better for pay but you might end up with asshole people.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    The place you may choose to go to may be better for pay but you might end up with asshole people.

we're talking minimum wage verses 16 bucks an hour here.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

we're talking minimum wage verses 16 bucks an hour here.

I didn't read into detail the post, well I guess I'd be going for more in that instance.
    If I was already on a decent wage and in a great workplace I wouldn't trade it for a bit more.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    Are you going to school or anything?
    Coming from someone who has 3 jobs... My advice would be, if you can handle it, try working part time at John Deere to try it out. If you find its better or the pay is worth it then give notice to the other one or reduce hours at the other one and work both.

I totally know where you are coming from, regarding leaving people hanging. I turned down a $17/hr part time job because I didn't want to leave my bosses hanging. But then they sold the store to an ass hole 2 months later and I lost that job. On the other hand, I'd much rather be paid less at a job I enjoy than more at a job I hate.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    I would go on the John Deere interview, explain what you love about your current job, and tell them you'd like to give 3 weeks notice.

Then, go back to your boss, be honest about the situation, give them a chance to make a counteroffer and if they can't, tell them you've loved working there and want to give them ample time to replace you, 3 weeks.

If John Deere doesn't work out, they'll likely be happy to have you back. And you'll know you did right by them.

Money isn't everything, but you're describing a substantial difference in pay. I assume there are more advancement opportunities as well?

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    I would go on the John Deere interview, explain what you love about your current job, and tell them you'd like to give 3 weeks notice.

Then, go back to your boss, be honest about the situation, give them a chance to make a counteroffer and if they can't, tell them you've loved working there and want to give them ample time to replace you, 3 weeks.

If John Deere doesn't work out, they'll likely be happy to have you back. And you'll know you did right by them.

Money isn't everything, but you're describing a substantial difference in pay. I assume there are more advancement opportunities as well?

well played unlost dogs. well played.

2 key things to remember here:
    1- he's only been at this current job for a couple months.
    2- he's looking at basically doubling his pay.

i think it's a no brainer.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292

I like this advice.
    You may end up in a best case scenario if they make a counteroffer- being able to stay at a job you love and getting a raise.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    there won't be a counter offer. we are talking entry level retail floor sales.

cabella's will say thanks for hard work, good luck. they may not even take your two weeks, they may just say thanks for the memories. leave now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Definitely go to the John Deere interview.

What would you do at John Deere?

You may end up liking the position at John Deere more than your current job.

Good Luck!
  • Live in poverty...
    Or double your income.....

Its really not that hard of a decision.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    There won't be any counter offer, of this I'm sure. It's a great place called Sportsman's Warehouse and I definately recommend it to anyone looking for a job or is into outdoor stuff and looking for a place to shop, but like someone already stated it's entry level retail sales (low paying gig). I'm going to set up an interview with Deere next week and see how it goes, remember I haven't even been offered a job yet. I'm about 99% certain that they would keep me on part time if I want and I think I do.

Thanks so much for all the sage advice everyone, I think I knew what to do all along but it was nice to have it reaffirmed here.