Options

should we be worried as pj fans?

westbrook36westbrook36 Posts: 279
edited September 2008 in The Porch
with each one of the members doing solo projects should we be concerned as pearl jam fans that the end is near?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    absolutely NOT
    we should embrace the new music
    i for one am so EXCITED to hear jeff's solo effort
    :)
    and we already know they have been/continue to be working on new PJ material
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    Seriously?

They've all been involved in other projects for well over 10 years now, so nothing has changed.

And the opposite is actually true. When musicians have the freedom to be involved in other creative outlets, the primary band will stay together longer.
  • Options
    When musicians have the freedom to be involved in other creative outlets, the primary band will stay together longer.
    Just curious. Where did you get your information from? What bands you talking about?
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    When is Mike putting out an album of only him rocking out so I have more stuff to play air guitar too?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    with each one of the members doing solo projects should we be concerned as pearl jam fans that the end is near?

yes. yes we should be very very worried.

j/k its all good. i think this kind of thing will actually keep them together longer.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I agree that this is a positive thing.

The band is still together, these guys are still 'allowed' and still have plenty of time to tap their creative outlets without abandoning the band.

If anything negative in terms of Pearl Jam if anything, maybe over time they may start doing less Pearl Jam and more side projects, but I dont think that them embarking on solo works will end the band.
  • Options
    FitzFitz Posts: 169

No chance! Ed did his thing with ITW which was great as I'm sure Stone and Jeffs stuff will be. Now with ITW Ed clearly stated in an Interview that he enjoyed the writing and because of it Pearl Jam will benefit in a big way. I didn't actually go to any of the dates in the US but by all accounts the Band looked stronger and better than ever and really appeared to be enjoying each other's company immensely. If that is what Ed's ITW kind of created then that can only be positive, I don't see it being any different with Stone, Jeffs or even Matt's stuff. The one thing I did see recently was the Bands appearance at Rock Honors, again they all appeared to be loving it and each other - That in itself is important as they always look the best of mates, that I believe they are and should never be underestimated. A Happy Jamily indeed!!
    "First of all, there’s the palpable camaraderie and good feeling you get from the entire band as they smile and nod at each other, and huddle together in various formations throughout the show --- They look like they really like each other. They look stoked!"
  • Options
    nope
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    if anything side projects are a good thing because it allows the band members to explore other avenues and not feel creatively stifled by just being in one band. It also helps them grows as musicians which helps their sound in the main band grow.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    When is Mike putting out an album of only him rocking out so I have more stuff to play air guitar too?

Best idea ever!
    Nathan
  • Options
    No way! aspoonfulweighsaton is right! They have been doing projects for many years and that just helps them bring something new to "the table", it helps them to venture out and try different things and definitely the band benefits from this and it's a great thing that they can do that, they're very taleneted guys....And also Mike said in an interview that these side projects help them become a better band because they can bring different things to the band and have more ideas, so don't worry :) It's good for them, variety is the fruit of life no?
    "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!"

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • Options
    Just curious. Where did you get your information from? What bands you talking about?

I think that bands ususally break up because two or more of the members can't stand each other anymore. Pearl Jam never had that Paul/John, Axl/Iggy (or Slash), Lars/James dynamic of rivals. Bands that really enjoy each other and have a central guiding figure whose leadership the other member respect usually stay together longer I think. Although, somehow Metallica has stayed together, maybe because neither James nor Lars have the ability to work as solo artists.

I think Pearl Jam has a similar band dynamic to U2. Plus without the threat of substance abuse tearing them apart, they're good to go. I hope!
    I'm the Peachmeister!

2003-Albany, Mansfield I, Camden I, MSG I
    2006-Hartford
    2008-Mansfield II
    EV NYC I +II
    2009-EV Philly
    2010-MSG I + II
    2013-Worchester
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Pink Floyd wrote:
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
    Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
    You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but its sinking
    And racing around to come up behind you again
    The sun is the same in the relative way, but youre older
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way
    The time is gone, the song is over, thought Id something more to say

Yes, we should be very worried. The clock is ticking.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    In comparing PJ to other bands, the one thing that is lost is the fact that most of the other bands never toured like PJ does. If the band remains intact and decided to tour every 5-7 years, would we be happy? NO. If they decided to take a hiatus for a few years and toured with their respective projects, would we be happy? Somewhat, but I doubt it.
    Unless the band continues to tour on a regular basis like we're accustomed to, then I don't think we can rest easy about these individual projects.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    Paul/John.
    Let's not forget that George too was looking to branch out on his own.
    I think Pearl Jam has a similar band dynamic to U2.
    U2 doesn't tour often enough.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    Let's not forget that George too was looking to branch out on his own.
    U2 doesn't tour often enough.

That's true. But U2 has way bigger productions to put on, so it's probably harder to tour as much. They do seem to enjoy each other and Bono has total freedom to pursue whatever else he wants in the off time and they still come back together. That's pretty PJ-like.

But Eddie does have serious untapped solo artist potential, right? He could do a lot more than songs on soundtracks I bet. We'll see.
    I'm the Peachmeister!

2003-Albany, Mansfield I, Camden I, MSG I
    2006-Hartford
    2008-Mansfield II
    EV NYC I +II
    2009-EV Philly
    2010-MSG I + II
    2013-Worchester
  • Options
    But Eddie does have serious untapped solo artist potential, right? He could do a lot more than songs on soundtracks I bet. We'll see.
    That's what I'm afraid of. His desire to pursue other avenues on his own.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options

The Who
    Death Cab for Cutie
    The Rolling Stones

Thought it was pretty well-known that most bands do solo stuff eventually. Sometimes the solo projects involve music that does not normally fit with the main band. Even band members need a vacation from their jobs and/or do extracirricular activities...

Besides pretty much all members of PJ have said how excited they are about working on a new PJ album....and didn't they just tour??
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    well what i got from the answers jeff gave recently, the solo albums are more of a way to let great ideas that don't work well with the band get let out in another way. i dont think we have much to worry about, it seems like they do their own thing then they go back to the band.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I'm not worried. None of them have given any indication that the band will be breaking up any time soon; in fact, Ed mentioned he'd love for Pearl Jam to still be touring when they're old men.
    The solo efforts are just a chance for them to go nuts by themselves creatively, and take a break from being part of Pearl Jam all the time.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    The Who
    Death Cab for Cutie
    The Rolling Stones

Thought it was pretty well-known that most bands do solo stuff eventually. Sometimes the solo projects involve music that does not normally fit with the main band. Even band members need a vacation from their jobs and/or do extracirricular activities...

Besides pretty much all members of PJ have said how excited they are about working on a new PJ album....and didn't they just tour??
    Well, regarding the Who, Keith Moon died what 1978. John Entwhistle, 2002. Besides they didn't tour for years.
    DC4C, hasn't been around long enough.
    As for the Rolling Stones, if you're content with a tour every 5-7 years, well that's what you'll get. And their studio albums for the past 25 years suck, IMHO.
    I'm in no way looking forward to the day they become like a lot of other bands. And that is a nostalgic act to see every 5-10 years. I'm hoping PJ can break the trend of groups reaching a certain height then having to say they need to rejuvenate themselves by going there separate ways in order to find themselves. Bruce Springsteen broke up the E Street band for awhile and in my opinion has yet to reach the previous heights the band was able to scale before the breakup. Just my observation.
    I hope to have another 17+ years of uninterrupted PJ tours and music.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    Well, regarding the Who, Keith Moon died what 1978. John Entwhistle, 2002. Besides they didn't tour for years.
    As for the Rolling Stones, if you're content with a tour every 5-7 years, well that's what you'll get. And their studio albums for the past 25 years suck, IMHO.
    I'm in no way looking forward to the day they become like a lot of other bands. And that is a nostalgic act to see every 5-10 years. I'm hoping PJ can break the trend of groups reaching a certain height then having to say they need to rejuvenate themselves by going there separate ways in order to find themselves. Bruce Springsteen broke up the E Street band for awhile and in my opinion has yet to reach the previous heights the band was able to scale before the breakup. Just my observation.
    I hope to have another 17+ years of uninterrupted PJ tours and music.

Springsteen has kept going, and kicking ass. Same with Uncle Neil.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    If anything, it just gives them more ideas to add to PJ. If Stone or jeff get a few ideas while recording, they can bring that to the PJ table. That's how so many great PJ songs have been written. I hope on the next tour the whole band could get involved in the ITW songs. I think that would be cool.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    no, not at all...imo
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    Mike's side project Mad Season was awesome.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options

Yeah, I'm pretty well-versed in Who history. Back in the mid-70s, when the band had been around for about 15 - 18 years...they ALL had solo albums (I'm a proud owner of most of them). And they toured a lot. Now they are much older, they obviously do not tour as much.

DCFC has pretty much had solo albums out at the same time as the band...and they tour a lot. Pretty sure they've been around for at least 10 years, probably more...

Anyway, whatever. Pearl Jam does what Pearl Jam does. If they want to tour every five years, fine. It's their decision...but still, most often, solo albums are not harbingers of band breakups...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    No worries here...

They seem to enjoy touring and recording more than ever these days it seems.

I remember being more concerned between 2000-2002 after Roskilde, plus Ed and others just seemed less energetic...optimistic. I really thought at that time there was a growing lack of interest in making music and touring. Luckily I was totally proven wrong! Maybe it was the tone of RA that fed those feelings for me too.

Hopin their with us for many more years!
  • Options
    if anything side projects are a good thing because it allows the band members to explore other avenues and not feel creatively stifled by just being in one band. It also helps them grows as musicians which helps their sound in the main band grow.

Perfect example : TOOL
    PJ fans have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Somebody has been posting this every year since I joined here in 1999..

To answer your question..

NO!
  • Options
    well what i got from the answers jeff gave recently, the solo albums are more of a way to let great ideas that don't work well with the band get let out in another way. i dont think we have much to worry about, it seems like they do their own thing then they go back to the band.
    I agree and i think Ed doing ITW and perhaps other solo stuff will only make PJ albums stronger. There have been at least 5 or 6 songs from the last 4 albums that I thought should have been Ed solo songs not PJ songs but just my opinion.
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."