DirecTV vs. Dish

mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,965
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
What say you?

Also looking to maybe get the internet package bundled with. Any problems there? Seems the same provider for both. WIldBlue , I think?
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    dish is horrible
  • smg97791smg97791 Posts: 151
    I'm very close to taking the DirecTV dive, I've been seduced by the free NFL Sunday Ticket offer. Plus I just got a new LED TV and standard cable looks like crap on it, I need more HD channels.
  • out of those two, directv easily.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Can't speak from experience but I hear nothing but complaints about dish.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    smg97791 wrote:
    I'm very close to taking the DirecTV dive, I've been seduced by the free NFL Sunday Ticket offer. Plus I just got a new LED TV and standard cable looks like crap on it, I need more HD channels.

Its not free..they just factored it in the price. I have direct tv, this is my 3rd year of Sunday Ticket

I was pissed they offered sunday ticket for free to new customers and not me. So I called and the rep explained it to me...they gave me a $15 credit for 6 months to make me happy ;)

They are suckers if you persist
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    smg97791 wrote:

Sounds like you're becoming an HD snob too! Welcome to the club. :)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=164901
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    been with directv for 13 years...no complaints
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,965
    ok, how is the internet service?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Directv gets pricey but it's worth it. The only complaint I have about it is that they won't offer AMC in HD due to some contract squabble. Other than that, it's great, and having every NFL game each Sunday is glorious!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Direct TV

i've had Direct TV for 5 years now i think and never had any problems with it
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    mickeyrat wrote:
    ok, how is the internet service?

no idea...check this site out

http://www.dslreports.com/
  • mickeyrat if those are your final two just get directv, you won't be disappointed. i just switched from comcast and it's way better....the ability to record shows and movies and watch on your own time is the clincher.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    edited August 2011
    Post edited by Idris on
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    we have dish

it's fine.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    DirectTV is the shit. They need you for a customer so they will bend over backwards for you.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    DirecTV guy for 12 years now. Very friendly customer service. Not one complaint.

Just called and they gave me my Sunday Ticket 1/2 off w/ Sports Pack (worthless) free for 3 mos.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,965
    WHO gets their internet through satellite?

I thinkk its fairly well certain that Direc Tv is the way we're going. Only question is internet.

• mickeyrat wrote:

I thinkk its fairly well certain that Direc Tv is the way we're going. Only question is internet.

I hate to say it, but internet through a satellite provider is overwhelmingly regarded as ridiculously slow and way overpriced. Unless you have absolutely no other option, you are going to pay way more for TV and internet through a satellite provider than you will a cable company.

I was with DirecTV for over 10 years but switched to Dish a few months ago solely for price. Sure I miss the MLB Network and a few other channels, but DirecTV raises their rates all the time and I got sick of it.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    mickeyrat wrote:

I hate to say it, but internet through a satellite provider is overwhelmingly regarded as ridiculously slow and way overpriced. Unless you have absolutely no other option, you are going to pay way more for TV and internet through a satellite provider than you will a cable company.
    That is what I hear from some friends who had no option for internet other than through the satellite.....Sky Blue and Hughes.net both have data usage caps....worth asking about
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I had DirecTV for about 8 years. I switched recently to FIOS because it was a cheaper internet bundle.

DirecTV has the best interface of any TV provider. The HD channels are the same channel numbers as the SD version of the channels, so you don't have to remember what CNN is on your HD, versus your SD tv's.

DirecTV for sure.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Get a Dish just to see what would happen.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I just switch from direct to dish and I'm so so so glad I did. I have had no prob with dish. It's much cheaper than direct.
    I'll be back
  • I just switch from direct to dish and I'm so so so glad I did. I have had no prob with dish. It's much cheaper than direct.

im sold. switching to dish tomorrow am.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I just switch from direct to dish and I'm so so so glad I did. I have had no prob with dish. It's much cheaper than direct.

im sold. switching to dish tomorrow am.

Haha. My 2 year contract with direct ended in June. I was paying 80$ a month. Now it's 36$ a month for the same amount of channels, and after a year it only goes up to 40 something a month. Beats direct tv by far.
    I'll be back
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    I want to get rid of Directv. Much to high of price for what I get.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    Had dish a few years ago and it was terrible....not sure if they've made any changes. DirecTV is the way to go.
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    i have been with Direct TV for over 10 years and i have no complaints
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I was with Directv for nearly 6 1/2 years before switching over to cable (Charter) last year.

The only two complaints I have are that we weren't able to get my wife's PBS station locally and that our service would go out in heavy rainstorms.

Other than that, they were very good to us. We got a TiVo box for free after a year of service and they often gave us Showtime/Encore for free for 3 months around our service anniversary date.

As soon as our cable contract is up, I may switch back to Direct.

And yes, that free Sunday Ticket promotion is a huge draw.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • peacocoapeacocoa Posts: 46
    I made the switch from direct to dish b/c dish was offering free HD for life. Both have their good and bad. But dish has PJ radio.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Do not, I repeat do NOT get your internet through satellite. Sat internet falls in between dialup and DSL. Slow as shit!

Get DirecTV, then get a basic cable internet line. The most basic cable internet speeds are WAY faster than sat, and basic lines are pretty cheap too.