My current TV Guilty Pleasure

BoltOfLightnin'BoltOfLightnin' Posts: 708
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I grew up on soap operas. I started watching ABC soaps with my mom...summer's off from school, sick days, etc....when I was probably around 7 or 8. At some point from then on I was consistently watching 1 or more shows. In the early '80s it was mainly General Hospital...they had Luke & Laura for fucks sake! :lol: And it was on after school, so I could watch it year round.

But my favorite was always One Life to Live. As I got older, moved out and got a job, I would set my, ahem, VCR and record it so I could watch later. Eventually, SoapNet was born and I could catch up that way. I would still watch some of the other shows now and then, but OLTL always kept my attention.

Now I don't pretend that soap operas have the best actors, or the most plausible storylines :lol: ...but that is part of their charm! And as over the top as they can be, someone, somewhere, can always relate a bit to the characters and the crazy lives they lead.

About five or six years ago, I gave up soaps altogether...including OLTL. I had enough real drama in my life. But after hearing that the show was being canceled (canceled?! after 30+ years?! :lol: ) I decided I had to see how it ends!

So I've been watching again...and I can't describe how much fun I am having! It might sound stupid, but the absurdness of it all is just so entertaining!

Ok...make fun if you wish, but I was just wondering if anyone else out there knows what I'm talking about? Or watches OLTL, 'cause I don't have anyone to talk to about TODD MANNING!!!
No time to be void or save up on life...you've got to spend it all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Taxicab Confessions, the nighttime soap
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    jerryspringer.jpg

:lol: Seriously, I've only watched it like twice in my life.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Taxicab Confessions, the nighttime soap

Is that a reality show? Or is it all just bull? I've only seen it a couple times.
  • jerryspringer.jpg

:lol: Seriously, I've only watched it like twice in my life.

Oy...that show is so OVER the top...way worse than a soap opera IMO! :)
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    some disney shows for kids. . .

stupid for intelligent people yet for some reason. . . it's entertaining for me.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    My current tv guilty pleasure is Supernanny! :lol: I'm watching the season 1 boxset right now.....I'd forgotten how much I liked it! Some people's kids are just completely out of control!! But Supernanny always sorts it out. Good work Jojo!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I've only got time for GH but I'm familiar with OLTL from years ago when I could keep up
    with two.

I watched GH in the high school commons over 40 years ago but stopped for awhile depending
    on life

And yes GH is my guilty pleasure... I like the scenery :D

not cancelled but it will be a sad day when it is over... hope I go first ;):lol:
  • brother123 wrote:
    some disney shows for kids. . .

stupid for intelligent people yet for some reason. . . it's entertaining for me.

I still watch Sponge Bob sometimes :)
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    My current tv guilty pleasure is Supernanny! :lol: I'm watching the season 1 boxset right now.....I'd forgotten how much I liked it! Some people's kids are just completely out of control!! But Supernanny always sorts it out. Good work Jojo!

I used to watch that sometimes...I always thought she should come to my house!
  • pandora wrote:

Sonny Corinthos = yum :D
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Tosh.0 Great entertainment.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:

Sonny Corinthos = yum :D
    yes! and number one hit man and the Prince! 8-)
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    We watch an Australian soap Home and Away every night at 5:30pm and if we miss it we catch up on Sunday when there is an omnibus shown.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSorpl6tamslrVNvJUf83go2yVU30A0BMx5uwp6MYzUx8uwJC7tJA
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    merkinball wrote:

I have to admit that when this comes on I have found myself watching it alone - the kids watch for a couple of minutes and leave the room, and there I am still watching :lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    roseannes-nuts-300x210.jpg
  • MasterChef, it's the only reality show I watch...
    I'll wait for an angel, but won't hold my breath
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    tinkerbell wrote:
    merkinball wrote:

I have to admit that when this comes on I have found myself watching it alone - the kids watch for a couple of minutes and leave the room, and there I am still watching :lol:

My kids love it. Obsessed may be a better word. My older daughter (who's a teenager) has a Finn hat that she wears all the time.

Thankfully, that makes it easy for me to sit & watch it without the Mrs. becoming too concerned :)
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • DS1119 wrote:
    roseannes-nuts-300x210.jpg

What station is this on, I've been wanting to watch this.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • MasterChef, it's the only reality show I watch...

I love Master Chef too! And Hell's Kitchen...and anything else Gordon Ramsey is in!
  • tinkerbell wrote:
    merkinball wrote:

I have never watched this but a friend at worked knitted the main characters, lol!
    tinkerbell wrote:
    merkinball wrote:

I have never watched this but a friend at worked knitted the main characters, lol!

Way to give me crazy ideas! mmmm think I'll stop by the yarn shop on my way home... :geek:
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    pandora wrote:
    I've only got time for GH but I'm familiar with OLTL from years ago when I could keep up
    with two.

I watched GH in the high school commons over 40 years ago but stopped for awhile depending
    on life

not cancelled but it will be a sad day when it is over... hope I go first ;):lol:

GH - better NOT get cancelled - its still a favorite of mine as well. :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    The Young and The Restless.... I've been watching this since I was 12 yrs old.

Drop Dead Diva.... :)
    ********************************************************************************************* image