Time to rant

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I'm about 10 days away from closing on a house. Today my realtor calls me and says that there's a bit of a problem. The woman I'm buying the house from helped her granddaughter out in getting a car a couple of years ago. Fast forward to now, the title comes back with a lien on the house because said granddaughter must be a total moron. Little old lady I'm buying the house from doesn't have the $20K to get the lien off of the title so it looks like I'm up shit creek without a paddle and dumping more money into renting for the time being.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    that sucks, sorry to hear that
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    So, I'm about 10 days away from closing on a house. Today my realtor calls me and says that there's a bit of a problem. The woman I'm buying the house from helped her granddaughter out in getting a car a couple of years ago. Fast forward to now, the title comes back with a lien on the house because said granddaughter must be a total moron. Little old lady I'm buying the house from doesn't have the $20K to get the lien off of the title so it looks like I'm up shit creek without a paddle and dumping more money into renting for the time being.

Can't a stipulation be put in your sales contract that $20,000 of the proceeds to the seller goes towards satisfying the lien?
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    DS1119 wrote:

Can't a stipulation be put in your sales contract that $20,000 of the proceeds to the seller goes towards satisfying the lien?

That's a good question. She is selling the house to me for over $15,000 less that what she paid for it several years ago. She's a little old lady on a fixed income. It seems this mortgage and hew new one is too much for her I guess.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    count your lucky stars....seems like the housing market is gonna crap again.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I hope something can be set up to help you both. It's not you or the old lady's fault that she wanted to help her granddaughter.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    That's a good question. She is selling the house to me for over $15,000 less that what she paid for it several years ago. She's a little old lady on a fixed income. It seems this mortgage and hew new one is too much for her I guess.

That sucks. I know your probably not in the best mood but you could have the grand daughter give you the car along with the house. ;)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    I hope something can be set up to help you both. It's not you or the old lady's fault that she wanted to help her granddaughter.

exactly. i would talk to the bank....there has to be a way to finalize the deal to satisfy all of the parties involved. good luck!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'm sorry too...
    if it does fall through though, afterward down the line,
    you might see it was a blessing in disguise.

Maybe it will all work out for the best.... and a new scenario might be a better one.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    sucks dude, but at least you know beforehand, and didn't have to go thru what we did:

-the week we were supposed to close, the bank wouldn't sign off on the sale because nobody mentioned that the house was in pre-foreclosure, so instead of a 0% down loan, we had to come up with $4000 in 3 days for a 'good faith' deposit.
    -the previous owners were counting on the sale not going thru, so they didn't bother packing
    -3 days after we closed on the sale, we had to not only move our stuff in, but pack and move their stuff out

so maybe the house isn't the right one for you...I wanted to walk away from this house, but we didn't, and now we want out, but can't sell, so we're stuck.

Right now, houses are prime for picking, so something will work itself out, and the granddaughter should have to sell her car and come up with the $20k.

Good Luck!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless