Would you have given the jeter ball back?

DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Just watching a replay of Jeter's 3000th hit game and I'm at the part where the guy gave the ball back to Jeter for no money. Yes I know he got tickets and all that stuff, but he didn't ask for it. I was wondering who here would do the same. I'm a big Yankees and Jeter fan. The way I look at it is the Yankee organization has never been afraid to over charge me for tickets, food, beer, parking, hats, etc. Also, Jeter has never been shy to ask for too much money from the Yanks and they are willing to pay it for the most part. If I caught that ball the only thing that would come to my mind would be "cha ching". I'd strut that fucker right down to Jeter and team ownership and pretty much be that if you want this thing for the Yankee museum Mr. Steinbrenner or you want the ball Derek for your mantle let the bidding begin. Anyone else?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• prljamgirlprljamgirl Posts: 602
    DS1119 wrote:
    Just watching a replay of Jeter's 3000th hit game and I'm at the part where the guy gave the ball back to Jeter for no money. Yes I know he got tickets and all that stuff, but he didn't ask for it. I was wondering who here would do the same. I'm a big Yankees and Jeter fan. The way I look at it is the Yankee organization has never been afraid to over charge me for tickets, food, beer, parking, hats, etc. Also, Jeter has never been shy to ask for too much money from the Yanks and they are willing to pay it for the most part. If I caught that ball the only thing that would come to my mind would be "cha ching". I'd strut that fucker right down to Jeter and team ownership and pretty much be that if you want this thing for the Yankee museum Mr. Steinbrenner or you want the ball Derek for your mantle let the bidding begin. Anyone else?

Absolutely would have given it back...
  • Nope...

When ya have the winning lottery ticket in your hands......

You dont give it away...
    You collect your money........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • It would have been hard to do, but I might have tried to get something out of it. He's worth a fuck ton of money - that was probably his bank receipt that was left in the ATM with the $99, 999, 982.24 balance. If the ball meant that much to him then he can cough up the right amount of dough for it. A cool million after taxes sounds about right to me!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • hell no! i love the yankees BUT i would love to have 300 grand.

just watched the hbo special... very well done
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    no way it was worth a lot of money and that way you could have flown to all the pearl jam shows in style and even made a charitable donation too.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Hells no

Although the kid did get a special job with modellls and a ws ring from the owner of modellss

I know it's not 250 grand but his life did get better
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    i would have given it back. if he didn't give it back, there would be so many people calling him a dick and everything. i feel that the action of giving the ball back is greater than any monetary reward he could have been given.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I got tired of all the sports talk people talkin about how a real fan would give him the ball back.
    I think a "real fan" as they referred to it would have as much right to the ball as the player that hit it.

Would love to be able to say I would, but I dunno if I could pass up the payday, knowing how little the money would affect them and how it would prolly set me up for life.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    I would for Jeter or most other Yankees. Other teams, fuck you, pay me.
  • CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    cha-ching!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I can stop thinking about this today for some reason. Not only would I put Jeter and the Steinbrenner's in the room I'd invite every over other the top super wealthy Yankee fan to that meeting to start the bidding. LeBron, Jayzee, Spike Lee, Rudy G, Billy Crystal, etc. Also, do you realize the super wealthy in NY who would love to own such a piece of Yankee history if not only to buy the ball and then donate it to the Yankees (for a sizeable tax deduction) so the ball can be displayed with their name in the Yankee museum for everyone to see for the rest of time. Guy passed on a multi-million dollar payday.

Feel good moment- yes.
    Check in with the guy in 5 years and I would be willing to bet he will be kicking his own ass and not feel so great about it.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    seller seller, be a seller, what some schmoo pay thru the nose
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
    Sure, as long as he was willing to trade it with me for a '59 Les Paul!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Dirty Frank ZDirty Frank Z Posts: 2,878
    Yes. Given all the crap he got in return.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I read the IRS caught wind of what the Yankees gave him and were going to tax him on the value of all the stuff they gave him.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I would definitely sell it :lol:

I don't mean to sound crass but there would be no sentimental value to me to keep it, and if you are lucky enough to catch it then its equal to winning the lottery.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    youngster wrote:
    I read the IRS caught wind of what the Yankees gave him and were going to tax him on the value of all the stuff they gave him.

I'm sure they will. It will cost him money to give back the golden lottery ticket of a baseball to a multimillionaire! What a dope! :)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    brianlux wrote:
    Sure, as long as he was willing to trade it with me for a '59 Les Paul!
    I like the way you think......I dunno which seems less likely....catching a major milestone baseball or procuring one of those 59s
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    I would have sold it to the highest bidder, no question