Options

new IKEA catalog arrived yesterday

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
am i alone in always looking forward to this day and savoring looking thru all the pages? :D
i've already been thru it at least 3x. it doesn't matter that i have no need or desire for any new stuff at the moment, i just LOVE checking it out!
i *heart* IKEA!
8-)
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    That's how I am with crate and barrel. I heart that store.
  • Options
    sheila0225 wrote:
    That's how I am with crate and barrel. I heart that store.

i love C&B as well.
    i used to work for them years ago while i was teaching. quite dangerous. :P
    thing is though, C&B catalogs come quite regularly. IKEA puts out one massive catalog once a year, always end of july/early august....and always a massive book. more to love! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    it's the sears catalog for generation x :P :lol:

posting this while sitting in a chair from ikea...looking at shelves from ikea...playing the record player sitting on top of the cabinet from ikea :oops: :mrgreen:
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I like walking through the rat-trail-maze of their store! :mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    it's the sears catalog for generation x :P :lol:

posting this while sitting in a chair from ikea...looking at shelves from ikea...playing the record player sitting on top of the cabinet from ikea :oops: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:
    i absolutely love their design philosophy.
    i know many consider their products cheap, and sure, some of them are....but many are great quality as well. i mean honestly, many, many other stores...such as crate & barrel, west elm....have some very similar products of very similar quality.....but always for more $$$. when i worked for C&B, we had a few housewares items that were virtually identical to IKEAs....and yes, higher pricetag. that said, love all 3 stores mentioned and others. i am a home design junkie.

you cannot be in any room of my house that does not have IKEA products in it. not one. and most have numerous IKEA products. my LR contains an IKEA sofa (the leather stockholm sofa)...coffee table, end table and stockholm upholstered chair. we have an IKEA bedframe and bedside lamps.....we have billy bookcases in our DR and guest room....IKEA shelving in numerous rooms.....and IKEA storage containers of all varieties...kitchen gadgets....etc.

justam i LOVE walking thru their stores!
    LOVE!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    :D I get it, you're a much more passionate fan of Ikea!!
    :lol:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    I have put off going to IKEA for one reason only:

I fear myself in a place like that.

I have never been but I think I could do some serious, serious damage there....

(how do you like the sofa? Comfy? durable?)

That being said, I did see a commercial for them the other day where they mentioned the catalog and I seriously considered ordering one.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    I have put off going to IKEA for one reason only:

I fear myself in a place like that.

I have never been but I think I could do some serious, serious damage there....

(how do you like the sofa? Comfy? durable?)

That being said, I did see a commercial for them the other day where they mentioned the catalog and I seriously considered ordering one.

you will LOVE it if you at all enjoy shopping for housewares.
    my husband can only handle it for so long, but we have spent many an evening there just perusing, lounging on sofas....opening kitchen cabinets...marveling at different home gadgets. i go a few times a year to stock up on certain supplies i always get there - batteries, lightbulbs and napkins :) - and i love just stopping by to see what's new, and sure....daydreaming of various changes to make to my home and/or decor. 8-)

i love, love, love perusing their catalog. i keep it for the entire year, and by the end of the year it is well worn and dog-eared. i shall be putting last year's catalog in the recycle bin this thursday and the new catalog shall proudly take it's place on a shelf in one of our billy bookcases. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

oh, and i LOVE my sofa!!!
    absolutely love. i think it is beautiful to look at and soooo comfy. it has a 25 year warranty too!
    our old sofa was also an IKEA leather sofa. we had to decided to trade up, and also the dogs had done a number on the old leather. the stockholm is fantastic quality.

one thing i truly appreciate about IKEA products is that they are so well designed, but also that they are so well proportioned for average homes. most people's furnishings are just far too BIG for their homes. IKEA makes perfectly proportional furniture for regular homes.

justam.... :lol:
    well, yea. hahaha.
    to be fair, i love, love, love C&B and west elm too. i just love design stores period. IKEA is a bit more awesome just b/c their stores are so freakin' HUGE, and they sell a ridiculous variety of products...so it's just so fun to shop there. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    norm wrote:
    You think that's embarrassing? The IKEA "cabinet" my turntable sits on was once the changing table for my youngest kid.
  • Options
    GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Chicago Posts: 3,075
    I might have to check out thier sofas....I need a new set as the leather ones I have now are also "animal worn". :) I don''t like the idea of fabric couches anymore...too hard to keep clean with the animal fur! :lol:

I imagine they are all like this- but I know the IKEA near me is a full day experience...they have food court and everything.

Ok. just ordered a catalog. I hold you fully responsible for any damage that results :D:lol:
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    I might have to check out thier sofas....I need a new set as the leather ones I have now are also "animal worn". :) I don''t like the idea of fabric couches anymore...too hard to keep clean with the animal fur! :lol:

I imagine they are all like this- but I know the IKEA near me is a full day experience...they have food court and everything.

Ok. just ordered a catalog. I hold you fully responsible for any damage that results :D:lol:

agreed.
    i am ALL about the leather sofas.
    honestly, i wanted the chair in leather too, but they don't offer it in leather, only fabric. so, no dogs allowed on it. :P leather furniture is the BEST with pets...and sure, the errant red wine spill. :lol:

and hey, look at it this way.....even when i spend a boatload of cash, and believe me, i/we have!...i am always amazed at how much bang we get for our buck!

you absolutely need a FULL day to truly peruse it all, especially as a first experience. :wtf:
    i may need to go there just because.... :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    ikea blows.

yeah, i said it.

we do have a dresser from their, but only because we were able to pick it up used for cheap.

they do have a decent cheap lunch. maybe i'll do that for lunch today.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026

I heart the ikea in Chicago!!! Last time I went, I spent almost an entire day in there!!! LOVE IT!!! And who says you can't stay in one store longer than 3 hours? :lol:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

agreed.
    honestly, i wanted the chair in leather too, but they don't offer it in leather, only fabric. so, no dogs allowed on it. :P leather furniture is the BEST with pets...and sure, the errant red wine spill. :lol:

and hey, look at it this way.....even when i spend a boatload of cash, and believe me, i/we have!...i am always amazed at how much bang we get for our buck!

you absolutely need a FULL day to truly peruse it all, especially as a first experience. :wtf:

Lazy Boy or Berkline.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    edited August 2011
    Every single room in our house has IKEA in it. Seriously. We heart Ikea. We make a day trip out of it and have lunch and everything. One of the reasons is that it is inexpensive. And we do find it fun to put stuff together. No loss if things get ruined either. :lol:
    Oh, except our couch. It's a Berkline and we heart it!
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    Oh, except our couch. It's a Berkline and we <3 it!

qualtiy.

hard to believe, but mine is coming up on 10 years now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Yay - new catalog time. I'm heading down to nyc area later this month and will probably hit the Elizabeth Ikea in Jersey - there's only 3% sales tax there and we need a few things.

I like Ikea, but I also love the Elfa shelves from the container store.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    container store.

talk about over priced.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    81 wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:
    container store.

talk about over priced.

Yes, that's why I wait for their semi-annual 20% off sale if I need any Elfa stuff. The Elfa shelves are really good and easy to hang for someone without a lot of carpentry experience or time.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    81 wrote:

agreed.

Lazy Boy or Berkline.

dont like their styles.
    IKEA is very much my taste, clean-lined, a bit modern, and the proportions are perfect.
    if you buy the very BEST furniture they have, the quality is solid. we bought the most expensive sofa they make, and we adore it. it also comes with a 25 year warranty. lazyboy is entirely not my taste, at all - and overall as i mentioned earlier, i find many of these other furnishings just "too big" for most rooms. i am not a fan of oversize/overstuffed furniture. IKEA, C&B and west elm....totally my taste. hell, i love room & board as well, but just a wee bit out of my price range of what i am willing to spend on furniture. :P

besides, IKEA is SO much more than furniture....they have awesome kitchen goods, and i seriously stock up on candles there whenever i visit. i have yet to find less expensive candles anywhere. a bag of 100 tealights for $4.99, can't beat it! and their throw pillows, 100% down just like C&B and pottery barn, yet half the price. i cannot even tell the difference in comfort/quality when i put the covers on em. we own a LOT of stuff from IKEA, but also C&B - i did work there for 4 years PT....and a smattering of pottery barn, pier 1 imports, west elm and then various, local stores. and IKEA's organizational/storage tools/containers, are great.

oh and jane - i totally heart the container store too. they can be pricey, but their sales are good....and they have some items you just can't find anywhere else, or not the same quality.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    D2D, that's why I love IKEA too. We only went with a different brand for the couch as my husband is kind of tall, and the ones IKEA had at the time weren't really proportionate to him. The whole thing also reclines, which is was another good selling feature for us.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Just ordered a catalog to see what all the fuss is about.

:P
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I love IKEA !!!! actually I love all my catalogs that I get - :D

especially as we get closer to the Holidays.... my favorite - the HUGE - J.C. Penny catalog.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    D2D, that's why I love IKEA too. We only went with a different brand for the couch as my husband is kind of tall, and the ones IKEA had at the time weren't really proportionate to him. The whole thing also reclines, which is was another good selling feature for us.

absolutely!
    as i said, i don't buy EVERYthing at IKEA...hahaha.
    but they are good for a LOT of different things, and for us - my husband isn't tall, average height - we've always had IKEA sofas and they are perfect for our space.

after starting this thread last night i was going thru our home and was looking around like :shock: for just how MUCH we have from IKEA. and i am talking little things to big. as much furniture as we have of theirs, we still too have a lot from other places...C&B, pier 1....our bedroom furniture - outside of our bedframe - was custom made - back when i was 16! :P i can name almost every store where we purchased 98% of our things....from the smallest decorative item, kitchen gadget, to every piece of furniture. :lol:

i really want to go to IKEA now, haha...and just look around. :mrgreen:

liz...you've NWEVER been to an IKEA?! :o
    that amazes me. we used to drive from LI to elizabeth NJ to go to their store - my first purchase was metal chairs for my apartment kitchen. thankfully they have since opened one on LI, quite close to home.

mikalina - i love catalogs too.
    i especially look forward to C&B, west elm and williams-sonoma (and i don't even cook :lol:)....and a few others too. just so fun to peruse, get ideas and inspiration.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Ok now you got me thinking...like 95% of all of our furniture is seriously from IKEA. :shock: My house is an IKEA showroom...except without all the people! :lol::mrgreen: I do love it...it's also very easy to care for! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Ok now you got me thinking...like 95% of all of our furniture is seriously from IKEA. :shock: My house is an IKEA showroom...except without all the people! :lol::mrgreen: I do love it...it's also very easy to care for! :mrgreen:

what's really sad is when i go into other people's homes, or even watching shows on tv....i'll look at the spaces and say that is from IKEA, that is from C&B, etc, etc. one time we were watching 30 rock and i noticed that liz lemon had a throw pillow on her couch from IKEA, and we owned it too! :lol:

what i really, really like about their style tho is that it can look SO different from one person's space to another....that you don't really see it as what everyone else has, etc....an sure, how you put a room together makes all the difference. outside of our bedside lamps and the billy bookcases (tho ours are in a discontinued color) i've never seen our furniture in another person's home. it's bizarre really. they are a global company, and yet i don't see my furniture much. i've never met anyone who has our sofa, haha...kinda weird. :P

have you noticed too that IKEA seemingly has THE most international shoppers? i mean, i am a stone's throw from manhattan and go all the time, quite a multicultural city, and yet....being in IKEA you always see/hear more people from all over the world than anywhere else. i like that. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

what's really sad is when i go into other people's homes, or even watching shows on tv....i'll look at the spaces and say that is from IKEA, that is from C&B, etc, etc. one time we were watching 30 rock and i noticed that liz lemon had a throw pillow on her couch from IKEA, and we owned it too! :lol:

what i really, really like about their style tho is that it can look SO different from one person's space to another....that you don't really see it as what everyone else has, etc....an sure, how you put a room together makes all the difference. outside of our bedside lamps and the billy bookcases (tho ours are in a discontinued color) i've never seen our furniture in another person's home. it's bizarre really. they are a global company, and yet i don't see my furniture much. i've never met anyone who has our sofa, haha...kinda weird. :P

You are so right! :lol::lol::lol: Dang Dang's retrograde thread is starting to make too much sense now! :shock: :lol:
  • Options
    kinda weird. :P

glad you said it so i didn't have to ;):mrgreen:
  • Options
    norm wrote:

i will not ask as to what you are referencing as *weird*...i can certainly guess. ;)
    but instead i will simply see it as agreement.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    norm wrote:

i will not ask as to what you are referencing as *weird*...i can certainly guess. ;)
    but instead i will simply see it as agreement.

well let's just say i'll know what you're thinking if you're ever at my house ;):lol: