Anyone in their 40s still Skateboarding?

StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi

I havent skated since the late 80s (started in 79) now I'm back in the saddle again, just ordered a brand new old school board online, the reason is that I met a guy in my hometown whos pulling together a bunch of oldboys to reclaim the ramp from the rascals the occupies it now 8-) but to be honest I'm a bit scared :) you're just not as fit as you used to be back in the days......liombs are a bit stiffer nowadays, I havent done any other sports in the last 20 yrs.....

Is anyone here in my age (44) skating still or maybe picked it up again, please share your experience....
Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Jeff's in his late 40's and he's still skating. :D

Be careful out there.
  • StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    Jeff's in his late 40's and he's still skating. :D

Be careful out there.

helmet on ;)

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I'll be 39 in just a bit. A few years back at a family function my nephews were skating and one threw me their extra board. I took about 20 good spills in maybe.... an hour??
    I felt like I had the shit kicked out of me for the next two weeks. :)

I had fun though. Be careful, I recommend a helmet. Lol. :)
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    When we were young my sister lost both her front teeth skateboarding, but she wasn't doing it right, she was allowing someone to drag her along on the back of their bike.

So I don't recommend doing that. :lol:
    When we were young my sister lost both her front teeth skateboarding, but she wasn't doing it right, she was allowing someone to drag her along on the back of their bike.

So I don't recommend doing that. :lol:

I'll keep that in mind, maybe I should get me real hockeyhelmet just to be shure :)

• curlycurly Posts: 703
    you gotta be careful...i wasn't careful enough and broke my lower leg in 2 places last year (my friends still give me shit and keep calling me Tony Hawk. LOL..)...im now 39yrs old...lived to skate 24-7 from 1983-1988...even skated compatitions back in the day..never won but always finished bout 6th or 7th outta the 50 or so that would enter..it was mostly street w/ launch ramps and parking benches...anyways...kept my Vision Mark Gonz board but really didnt touch it till bout 3 years ago...My son got to bout 9 yrs old and i got him a board...We started carvin round my circle for a few weeks then hit the skate parks...we have 2 real nice ones within 10 miles from my home...I took it very slow and was careful...
    we went off and on for bout 2 yrs then in the winter, we found out bout this indoor park and thats where it all went wrong...I was on a smaller half pipe doing a 50/50 grind and lost my footing, spun the wrong way and long story short...broke my lower leg...
    We were less than a mile from a major hospital...so i drove myself there (running all red lights)...had to drive w/left foot as the right leg was on bench seat of truck with foot dangling...ouch!!!
    Anyways...my biggest mistake was not learning how to crash again...when i was younger, i mastered crashing and not getting hurt...I'm 6-2 and weight 200...the last time i wiped out good, i was 125 and 20+ years younger...I just started skatin again..but am now takin it even slower yet....
    the wolf wrote:
    I'll be 39 in just a bit. A few years back at a family function my nephews were skating and one threw me their extra board. I took about 20 good spills in maybe.... an hour??
    I felt like I had the shit kicked out of me for the next two weeks. :)

I had fun though. Be careful, I recommend a helmet. Lol. :)

I excpect a few bruises and hits in the beginning until I get the hang of it again, helmet is a must, thanks ;)

curly wrote:
    you gotta be careful...i wasn't careful enough and broke my lower leg in 2 places last year (my friends still give me shit and keep calling me Tony Hawk. LOL..)...im now 39yrs old...lived to skate 24-7 from 1983-1988...even skated compatitions back in the day..never won but always finished bout 6th or 7th outta the 50 or so that would enter..it was mostly street w/ launch ramps and parking benches...anyways...kept my Vision Mark Gonz board but really didnt touch it till bout 3 years ago...My son got to bout 9 yrs old and i got him a board...We started carvin round my circle for a few weeks then hit the skate parks...we have 2 real nice ones within 10 miles from my home...I took it very slow and was careful...
    we went off and on for bout 2 yrs then in the winter, we found out bout this indoor park and thats where it all went wrong...I was on a smaller half pipe doing a 50/50 grind and lost my footing, spun the wrong way and long story short...broke my lower leg...
    We were less than a mile from a major hospital...so i drove myself there (running all red lights)...had to drive w/left foot as the right leg was on bench seat of truck with foot dangling...ouch!!!
    Anyways...my biggest mistake was not learning how to crash again...when i was younger, i mastered crashing and not getting hurt...I'm 6-2 and weight 200...the last time i wiped out good, i was 125 and 20+ years younger...I just started skatin again..but am now takin it even slower yet....

ouch !! my foot hurts only from reading that, hope you're ok now :) I'll start of real easy, just skating along the sidewalks and biketrails in the city before I enter any ramp at all ;)