Car question

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Posts: 4,641
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I have a quick question.

My truck died so I'm about to buy a used car tomorrow. I thought legally I had 7 days to inspect it, register it and deal w/the insurance company.

I called the DMV and they said that I need to: buy the car, get the Bill of Sale and Title, then go to my insurance agent and get a RMV-1 form filled out (using same plates here in Mass) and then go to the registry to register the car and then I can go back and get the car inspected and then drive off. Have to wait to Monday for the insurance part and registry part.

My agent just told me this: buy the car, put my old plates on the car I'm buying, bring Bill of Sale and Title with me and drive the car that I just purchased to them and that it is okay to drive the car as long as I have the paperwork with me and I can't get into trouble.

Does anyone know the correct protocol? I haven't bought a car in 11 years and the dealer did most of the paperwork for me.

Any help is appreciated. If I can just drive off the lot w/the car I'm buying (using my plates) that's fine as I'll just buy it tomorrow and drive off and deal with the insurance agent and registry on Monday.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Are you financing the car?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    jeewhiz man
    that is crazy

what the?

thank god i never have had to do things this way, if i had, i would have throttled myself with the spare tire in the trunk

does it have to be as difficult as you make it seem?
    please say it isn't so!!! please
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    I've lived in both PA and NJ
    and in both states you can first register the car using your old plates and "current" insurance
    Then you have 24 hours that you can drive with your "old" insurance
    probably weekends are a given
    MA sounds a lot like PA..what a clusterf&&k Penndot is
    The one thing I always complained about in NJ were the long lines at the DMV but now I surely do miss that one-stop shopping. I'd trade those long lines an a heartbeat for traveling around to multiple agencies in multiple cities here in PA in order to do business w Penndot. Ridiculous :roll:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    don't know your states rules, but i would say switching plates without going the dmv first is a no no.

as for insurance, i know that i can buy a car and my insurance will cover it for 7-14 days (i forget the exact number) under my current policey.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • thanks for all the responses. Not financing it as it's a used car and buying outright.

My plan had been to buy the car tomorrow, get the bill of sale and title and then deal with the other stuff on Monday. The DMV said not to switch plates and drive the car until going to the insurance agency and then the registry. But my agent just said to switch the plates after buying car and drive it to them and they'll take care of it.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    thanks for all the responses. Not financing it as it's a used car and buying outright.

My plan had been to buy the car tomorrow, get the bill of sale and title and then deal with the other stuff on Monday. The DMV said not to switch plates and drive the car until going to the insurance agency and then the registry. But my agent just said to switch the plates after buying car and drive it to them and they'll take care of it.

Go with the DMV. :)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    You can go to the DMV and get a temporary transit permit
    in NY you need current insurance to register
    you can typically keep the same plates
    they give you a temporary inspection sticker that gives you about 14 days to get the vehicle inspected