Options

Provincetown, MA

hostishostis Posts: 441
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
We are about to go on holiday to Provincetown.... has anyone any recommendations for things to do and see? things that will make the holiday all the memorable and a little 'different'?

and decent bars, restaurants, art galleries you could recommend?

thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,191
    hostis wrote:
    ...things that will make the holiday all the memorable and a little 'different'?

p168637-Provincetown-PTown_is_full_of_colorful_folk.jpg

Different enough for ya? :lol:
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    Provincetown is known for it's gay and lesbian tourists, not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

I'm more familiar with West Denis and the Falmouth areas, sorry. But the cape is gorgeous, you won't be sorry you picked it as your vacation destination!

Enjoy!!
  • Options
    hostis wrote:
    ...things that will make the holiday all the memorable and a little 'different'?

p168637-Provincetown-PTown_is_full_of_colorful_folk.jpg

Different enough for ya? :lol:

oh christ, I had been warned about that!!! I will have to warn my wife! :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Provincetown is known for it's gay and lesbian tourists, not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

I'm more familiar with West Denis and the Falmouth areas, sorry. But the cape is gorgeous, you won't be sorry you picked it as your vacation destination!

Enjoy!!

yeah, we are going to a really good friends wedding. There are 15 people all over from the UK for the week plus the 2 brides. My wife and I are now referred to as "the breeders"! :) I'll be the only man in our group and have a feeling my eyes might be opened a little more to the colour in the world! :lol:
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Provincetown is great _ just start at MacMillan Wharf (the big pier) and walk down Commercial Street in either direction. Toward the north will bring you past lots of interesting shops and places to eat. You can spend a lot of time winding your way around.

Just don't miss Commercial Street in the opposite direction, also lots of really cool galleries.

There are really outstanding restaurants all over the place. I was there with friends last September and really liked Tip for Tops'n and Post Office Cafe for breakfast, Spiritus pizza (it's sort of a landmark) for late night food, and Victor's for a nice dinner.

The beaches are nice (I like Race Point Beach, there's a lighthouse there), and the Province Lands Road brings you out to the tip of the cape, the visitor center and the Pilgrim Monument. THere's also an art association that's worth checking out.

When I went a few years ago with Mr. Unlost his jaw almost unhinged when he saw a man taller than he is, walking down Commercial Street in the middle of the afternoon, dressed like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, but with way more arm and leg hair.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Unlost sums it up pretty well.
    You will definitely notice the gay presence...they are very overt there, you'll see some very interesting people.
    But there'll also be plenty of families etc. and its a beautiful spot, great beaches and good (though a bit overpriced) places to eat. Can also tak a whale watching trip from there if you're so inclined.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tranny watching and whale watching.
    I also have fond memories of the penny patch candy store from when i was a kid. Used to go in there and fill up a basket and spend all my money that I saved up in that place...good times...ahh to be a kid again :mrgreen:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    provincetown is a great place, no matter what your sexual orientation is. whale watching is ok if you have 3 hours to waste. honestly, the best thing to do is just to walk around and browse all of the little shops. definitely check out the record store, spinnaker's. it's a great little shop.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,000
    edited July 2011
    Check out the only museum which features the remains of a true pirate ship
    The whydah
    Which sank offshore at the height of it's looting!
    Lots of great treasures, pirate remains, canons and they are still excavating the site finding new stuff every year!
    Post edited by locked on
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,000
    Here's a cool link that shows some of the stuff on display :
    http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/ne ... irate-ship
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    you are all brilliant. thanks very much. all noted, all suggestions printed. I'll update you on our return!!! :D

thank you.