Best places online to apartment hunt?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
My lease is up September 30th, so I'm going to start looking, but I can't find anything online.

So far Craigslist has worked best, but only a few options. I can't seem to find anything on Rent or Apartments.com for the area I'm looking.

Where do most advertise?

I've used an apartment finding service before, but that was limited to the city. I'm looking for a place in a specific suburb.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    a lot of local places like supermarkets will have little free books that lists area apartments.

www.apartmentguide.com is good too.

www.apartmentratings.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Apartments.com

Local grocery store should have the paperback version

Or you could rent my house :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    81 wrote:
    Apartments.com

There is hardly anything suburb specific on Apartments.com, atleast, not in the 'burb I'm looking. :?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    jesus! i just realized the last time i had to apartment hunt was pre-internet! :shock:

so i guess my advice is to get in your car and drive around the hood you want to live in and look for 'for rent' signs :D
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    Gob wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Apartments.com

There is hardly anything suburb specific on Apartments.com, atleast, not in the 'burb I'm looking. :?

Which burb you looking for? Most burbs of Chicago have their own local newspaper so maybe try that.
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    i'm in the same boat...lookin but not seeing too much outside of craigslist.
    Gob wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Apartments.com

Which burb you looking for? Most burbs of Chicago have their own local newspaper so maybe try that.
    Park Ridge, close to 294.
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    used to live in PR...tryin to think of apts in the area. greenwood x northwest highway, dee x touhy, greenwood x touhy come to mind...outside of those can't think of too many apts in the area.
    pjfan021 wrote:
    used to live in PR...tryin to think of apts in the area. greenwood x northwest highway, dee x touhy, greenwood x touhy come to mind...outside of those can't think of too many apts in the area.
    Thanks. I'll definitely have to walk around the area. I just have to be close to the highway. I work in Lemont and my girlfriend goes to school and works in the north 'burbs, so this is middle ground. I'm just not familiar with the area. I've always lived in the south suburbs.
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    www.hotpads.com

Great website for apartment hunting. Kind of surprised nobody mentioned it yet...
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    norm wrote:
    jesus! i just realized the last time i had to apartment hunt was pre-internet! :shock:

so i guess my advice is to get in your car and drive around the hood you want to live in and look for 'for rent' signs :D

Did you use a rotary phone to call the numbers for the apartments you liked? :lol:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    Gob wrote:
    Gob wrote:

Park Ridge, close to 294.

I grew up in Park Ridge....try picking up the Park Ridge Advocate...local newspaper. Not sure if they have a website, but you can find it at most gas stations in Park Ridge. I'm sure they have some places listed...

Let me know if you have any questions about PR...
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

Did you use a rotary phone to call the numbers for the apartments you liked? :lol:

nah...i used my cell phone

old_cell_phone.jpg

:P
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

nah...i used my cell phone

old_cell_phone.jpg

:P

Text me your number hey? :P

I grew up in Park Ridge....try picking up the Park Ridge Advocate...local newspaper. Not sure if they have a website, but you can find it at most gas stations in Park Ridge. I'm sure they have some places listed...

Let me know if you have any questions about PR...
    No luck with the Advocate. There was one listing and unfortunately it didn't allow pets.

I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning driving around, getting numbers, but mostly finding out later they were either too pricy or didn't allow pets.

There's gotta be a better solution. Driving around is wasting a lot time and gas. There has to be some listings or an apartment finding service I can go to.. I'm having little luck on my own and there's barely anything on Craigslist. :?
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Be aware that not all things are as they appear online.

I learned that with my apartment and women. Just kidding on the women. 8-)

Good luck.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2