eBay etiquette

Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Rarely buy anything on there. A few things about 10 yrs ago and I just purchased two things recently. The one item I bought, I won Monday night. Wednesday I sent an email asking when the item would ship. No reply. It's coming from NY state, so I should have it if it was shipped quickly. Being an eBay rookie, what's my next step? Do I send a polite email today? This weekend? Send them a WTF email?

I'm pretty sure paypal has a pretty big window to file a grievance, I think it's way to early to get them involved.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Item was a DVD, so it wouldn't take any longer to ship.
I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    it's been 4 days...i would have no problem sending a note that says.....i just wanted to follow up on my purchase. could you send me the tracking number. Thanks in advance.....or something like that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    edited July 2011
    just make sure it reflects in your feedback . Negative feedback wakes them up . ;)

Plus your covered by eBay and paypal . Your just going to have to give them so many days before you can file your claim .

and then they will have to prove shipping to eBay or paypal depending on witch way you go .
    Post edited by Jokertt14 on
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Thanks!!

Everytime I see your name I think of Interstate 81 which runs thru PA. Then I wonder, why in the hell would someone want to reference that :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

Jokertt® wrote:
    just make sure it reflects in your feedback . Negative feedback wakes them up . ;)

Plus your covered by eBay and paypal . Your just going to have to give them so many days before you can file your claim .

and then they will have to prove shipping to eBay or paypal depending on witch way you go .

imo, don't piss off the seller by leaving negative feed back 30 seconds after buying something. that shit pisses me off, and sometimes the issues isn't the sellers.

case in point.

i sold a cable modem that i used with comcast

guy that bought it wanted to use it with comcast.

comcast had recorded that mac id number and wasn't letting him set it up.

so before he contacted me, he left negative feedback.

long story short, being the good seller i am, i spent a couple of hours on the phone with him and comcast to get the issue resolved.

he did change his feedback to positive, but still, it should have never been negative to begin with and was wrong to leave negative.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Thanks!!

Everytime I see your name I think of Interstate 81 which runs thru PA. Then I wonder, why in the hell would someone want to reference that :lol:

hehe it's a nice scenic drive.... :?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Of Course not right away .

I should have wrote out a step by step . :lol:
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Some ebay sellers are really good about emailing you and letting you know the package has shipped, here's your tracking number, etc. Other people never let you know ANYTHING and then if shows up at your door. If they buy the postage through paypal, you automatically get a confirmation email. But not everybody does that.

4 days, sheesh! While that's not too fast to expect an email, it's pretty fast to expect your purchase. Even if it's something easy to ship like a dvd, sellers vary on how quickly they get things in the mail. Some people only ship a couple of days a week. You might want to check the listing again to see what it says about shipping.

Ebay says not to get anxious unless it takes more than 2 weeks. I would be AMAZED if anyone was that patient. When I sell on ebay, I know people like to get their stuff in a hurry so I usually ship the next day. But nobody has control over what happens when the postal service gets hold of it. Lots of things can slow it down that have nothing to do with the seller.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    I'm on ebay quite a bit. When I buy something, I'm patient. I generally wait a week to see if I get anything. After that I might send an email stating that I'm interested in an update on the item. Friendly of course.

Some people I've dealt with just don't email buyers even though they're on top of their game shipping things. Some people communicate very well, and some send way too many updates.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless they have a terrible % feedback.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Thanks again for all the replies. I have a better understanding of what goes on. My last purchase, as soon as I paid the seller gave me everything and I assumed that was the way it worked.

It's not that i was expecting to find the package in my mailbox today, its the fact I sent an email Wednesday asking about shipping (auction did not mention a timeframe) and I received no reply.

Again, thanks!
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Do they mention a shipping policy in the listing? I put that I will ship within 3 days of payment. I usually send within 2 days though.
    Emily
  • yeah, you never know what's going on in a person's life. sometimes if I'm really concerned I'll check out their activity in other listings they may have going. if nothing, then maybe they are away or just plain busy. if they have multiple listings sometimes emails fall through the cracks. I used to get really worried too, but now I wait a while.

it still annoys me, though, that people seem to be ebay veterans but still don't mark an item as shipped when it has been, and I have to go and bother them again asking if it was.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014