Most grossening job..

whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Just got done watching the show Dirty Jobs, and I started thinking; I myself have had some doozy jobs that made my stomach turn. Here are just a few examples..Crime scene clean-up crew (craziest thing I saw there was a man who had tortured his wife by cutting her several times, then rubbing shit into her wounds; leaving her to die from the infection)..Vet assistant, ( grossest thing I saw there was a Distemper epidemic on a horse farm..Couldn't eat cheese Pizza for about six months after that one!! And a cow that had fevered to death and then exploded).. Trash truck clean up..Porta-Potty retrieval company...And being a CNA was pretty gross some days too..
So.. what was the most disgusting job you ever had??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    HOLY SHIT! :shock: You have had some doozies! I do not envy you at all.
    I haven't had a real job that was gross.
    As a lad, I did on occasion help my uncle pick up dead chickens in his houses...that could be pretty nasty but nothing that should bother a young boy much.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    worked in recycling during college. saw a few items i wouldn't want to touch.

mostly tho, it was carboard, paper and cans.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    nursing

ER

nuf said
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    There was a company in L.A. called Lice Fairies and they'd come to schools and pick lice out of kids' hair. I always thought that would be a pretty disgusting job. And also telling people your job is a "lice fairy."
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Had a friend that I met as a night janitor, usually cleaning duties, kitchen, bathrooms, etc.

He got a job at KFC and left after only 30 minutes saying it was the most disgusting place to work. Wow, worse than cleaning toilets?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    vet assistant-I will only tell stories about that place in person
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Hog farm>>scraped shit into the sewage lagoons on the crates, "thumped" lame piglets, sleeved(reaching up shoulder deep and pulling babies) sows, picked up afterbirth, pressure washed the rooms on wean day

worst job was lumber yard
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    My current job is a dirty job at times. I'm a lab/field tech for the USDA emerald ash borer beetle program. I pick dead bugs off cardboard prism traps covered in thick glue. When they get hot in the summer, they are pretty nasty. I also pick through bags full of dead bugs that we collect from plastic funnel traps and separate out any emerald ash borers I find. The hotter it gets, the more putrid the smell gets. I don't really find the bug aspect to be very gross unless there are a lot of horse flies or fishflies.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    why am i reading this thread why I'm eating?!?!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Mine are relatively tame, but out during high school I was a host at Applebees. Pretty much every other Fri/Sat. I had to clean up projectile vomit in the bathroom stall. One Sunday morning a patron pissed blood but missed the urinal and I was in charge of clean up for that one
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
    :lol:

I've actually been fairly desensitized to eating while reading or hearing about this kind of stuff. My mother was a lab technologist and phlebotomist. Because she was so good at what she did, she was given the really difficult cases (sever burn cases, infants, etc.) and found it helpful to talk these experiences out when she had the time- which was usually over dinner.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    because apparently you neglected to read the title!!!;-) SIlly person..the word gross should have made you put the spaghettios down for this read.. J/K lol.. Still Here I know what you mean, my Step-mom is an ER nurse and has some crazy stories, plus I've read her Nursing books, some insanely crazy stuff in there!!
    Rckcndy.. I know what you mean did you do versatile assistant or small animal only? I did versatile, and other than cleaning up an exploded cow, I once as well, had one blow up all over me and the vet, while he was releasing gasses from the abdominal cavity during a UGS case.. THAT was gross!! But again I can NOT stress enough though that out of the vet assistant job, the worst was the Distemper outbreak.. out of 172 head of horses, 110 had Distemper; try to quarentine THAT!!! And if you've ever experienced popping Distemper blisters, you KNOW how bad it smells!!Plus there were so many infected that we often ended up lancing blisters more than the usual one time.. it was horrific!! Like I said earlier SEEING a Pizza after that experience made me want to puke.. the Porta-potty removal was the very worst job ever though.. I feel for those who actually do this as a permanent job!!
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    US Marine Corps recruits and their teeth............ don't get me started
    conman wrote:
    so yu must be a dentist?!!?lol :mrgreen:
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    conman wrote:
    so yu must be a dentist?!!?lol :mrgreen:
    no, just an assistant(not by choice) but the smell of some of the mouths :sick:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Enkidu wrote:
    There was a company in L.A. called Lice Fairies and they'd come to schools and pick lice out of kids' hair. I always thought that would be a pretty disgusting job. And also telling people your job is a "lice fairy."
    lice... what the

how do people let their foul shit get this bad is beyond me. my niece had fucking lice that she got from her friend and her friend's nasty ass fucking house. filthy fucking people should be knocked smooth out with a heavy blunt object like a sherman tank or cement truck
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited July 2011
    DewieCox wrote:
    Hog farm>>scraped shit into the sewage lagoons on the crates, "thumped" lame piglets, sleeved(reaching up shoulder deep and pulling babies) sows, picked up afterbirth, pressure washed the rooms on wean day

i worked on a handfull of hog farms too. i never did the work you done though, thank god. i pumped the sewage out of the lagoons and into my truck where i'd haul it out to the fields and plow it into the earth as fertilizer.

one day i thought it was raining while standing there pumping a lagoon. i was getting rained on not by the actual stuff in clouds, no. the seal on the top of the truck was not air tight at this point, i was being sprayed with hog shit/piss mix. this was a marvelous day. :|
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

i worked on a handfull of hog farms too. i never did the work you done though, thank god. i pumped the sewage out of the lagoons and into my truck where i'd haul it out to the fields and plow it into the earth as fertilizer.

one day i thought it was raining while standing there pumping a lagoon. i was getting rained on not by the actual stuff in clouds, no. the seal on the top of the truck was not air type at this point, i was being sprayed with hog shit/piss mix. this was a marvelous day. :|
    Sorry, but LMFAO that's NOT a fun day!!
    Sorry, but LMFAO that's NOT a fun day!!
    smelled like shit with it on or off of me. generally it was on me, if even on my boots. everyone should high pressure wash a hog confinement at least 200 times in their lifetime.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    One summer, when I was a teen, I lived down the shore and worked as a maid.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    because apparently you neglected to read the title!!!;-) SIlly person..the word gross should have made you put the spaghettios down for this read.. J/K lol.. Still Here I know what you mean, my Step-mom is an ER nurse and has some crazy stories, plus I've read her Nursing books, some insanely crazy stuff in there!!
    Rckcndy.. I know what you mean did you do versatile assistant or small animal only? I did versatile, and other than cleaning up an exploded cow, I once as well, had one blow up all over me and the vet, while he was releasing gasses from the abdominal cavity during a UGS case.. THAT was gross!! But again I can NOT stress enough though that out of the vet assistant job, the worst was the Distemper outbreak.. out of 172 head of horses, 110 had Distemper; try to quarentine THAT!!! And if you've ever experienced popping Distemper blisters, you KNOW how bad it smells!!Plus there were so many infected that we often ended up lancing blisters more than the usual one time.. it was horrific!! Like I said earlier SEEING a Pizza after that experience made me want to puke.. the Porta-potty removal was the very worst job ever though.. I feel for those who actually do this as a permanent job!!

I only did small animal...after seeing that 'Dirty Jobs' where the farmer was castrating baby piglets with his teeth, I just couldn't do large animal! I know it was a small town, and farm animals are a little more 'heartier' than our pets, but I just 'couldn't'.

Most of the stuff was dealing with abscesses-overgrown and/or exploded, and cadavers.

I'll just share a snipit of one case-cat+exploded abscess=flies and maggots (poor kitty :( )

...and some people just SHOULD NOT ever own an animal EVER again. I didn't like being de-sensitized to how some people treated their animals and trying to decipher that 'fine line' of deciding whether to report someone for cruelty or not.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    edited July 2011
    flood of '93 created jobs. i became a "secondary roads" maintenance dude. we did just about everything. lots of awesome work and great folks to work with.

sometimes my partner and i (lots of team work) would get calls to go pick up dead deer lying in, or on, or near a roadway. some terrible horrific stench you'd gag on, in some cases puking rather violently. that was my partner who was a baby girl who mooo'ed at cows all fucking day... (you're a dick) :evil:

ever pick up decomposing deer in 100 degree weather? legs do bust off, which does not make for goodtimes. blood and gusts doesn't really bother me so much as odor does. deer stink like hell just hangin' in one's garage or yard being processed for meat.

law: one cannot put a wounded animal such as deer out of misery. one must call law enforcement, so we did. sheriff deputy arrives, fawn in ditch with smoked legs twisted to shit... holy shit
    that was bad stuff. very sad .

beretta 9mm

the end.

some days we'd haul smashed up rotten deer to the landfill all day. (maybe 8 or something) we covered the entire county.

exploded pigs are wonderful... jesus christ that;'s blue and bubbling froth
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I only did small animal...after seeing that 'Dirty Jobs' where the farmer was castrating baby piglets with his teeth....

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I only did small animal...after seeing that 'Dirty Jobs' where the farmer was castrating baby piglets with his teeth....

:shock: :shock: :shock:
    Yes is an old south tradition..they are also known to boil and eat them along with sheep and bulls testes..
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,966
    No one else would do it. 8ft wide x 6in acrossx 6 in deep trough drain for our pallets of chicken at work.

OH MY GOD!@!!!!! The stench. These things have likely NEVER been cleaned out. dirt,chicken blood make for black sludge.I spent my entire work day today cleaning these fucking things along with the grates on top. Nasty. My boss is glad I did it and said he could smell that shit throughout the store!!!! we're 55,000 sq ft of space plus the depts I manage are enclosed!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14