Options

Unemployable

nocode85nocode85 Posts: 133
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Any thoughts on this song? I absolutely LOVE IT! I love the chords and I love Ed's singing on this one. The 'uh oh oh ohhhh oh!' part kills me. Also the song reminds me of a guy I worked with who had a family and was let go and how it must have felt for him to go home and tell his family he lost his job. This was around the same time the album came out so I really felt for the guy when I heard this song. Granted we were just servers in a restaurant it still must have sucked for him to tell his wife he lost his freaking restaurant job ya know? Another gem I have yet to see live! ENOUGH OF BETTERMAN ALREADY!!! I feel like their shows consist of mostly die hard fans anyway do they really have to play betterman and evenflow every time still? Play the rarities and the forgotten ones!
St. Louis '00, St. Louis '03, St. Louis '04, Chicago '06, LA '06, Chicago '07, D.C. '08, Chicago '09, St. Louis '10, East Troy '11(1), East Troy '11(2), Atlanta '12, Chicago '13, Oklahoma City '13, St. Louis '14, Moline '14, Milwaukee '14, Lexington '16, Chicago '16, Chicago '16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    least favourite track off avo. the only filler IMO.
    ed sounds like shania twain.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    Easily the best-written song on "Avocado". Brilliant guitar parts and chords. Written by Matt Cameron, so right away the boneheaded fans won't like it. The comparisons to Shania Twain are ridiculous and ignorant.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    Easily the best-written song on "Avocado". Brilliant guitar parts and chords. Written by Matt Cameron, so right away the boneheaded fans won't like it. The comparisons to Shania Twain are ridiculous and ignorant.

I agree. I love the song, beautiful lyrics and melodies.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    JWBusher wrote:

Indeed, it's a fantastic song - one of the best songs the band has ever produced.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:

bonehead? a laughable throwaway statement. maybe i'm just not elitist enough to see the magic that is unemployable. :rolleyes:

my ears tell my brain what i like.

parachutes and inside job are IMO the best 2 written songs on avocado.
  • Options
    InJuddsTreeInJuddsTree Posts: 377
    JWBusher wrote:

Alternatively, the elitist knobheaded fans will analyse the shit out of it and ultimately pretend it's their best song, because Ed says Matt writes the best songs.
    Brisbane 8/2/03 -- Adelaide 16/2/03 -- Melbourne 18/2/03 -- Brisbane 10/11/06 -- Brisbane 11/11/06 -- Melbourne 13/11/06 -- Melbourne 14/11/06 -- Adelaide 21/11/06 -- Adelaide 22/11/06 -- Perth 25/11/06

lifewasted.net
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    bonehead? a laughable throwaway statement. maybe i'm just not elitist enough to see the magic that is unemployable. :rolleyes:

my ears tell my brain what i like.

lol...I just can't get into parachutes...may be the only PJ song that I can't get into....
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    release30 wrote:
    lol...I just can't get into parachutes...may be the only PJ song that I can't get into....

not sayin it's my favourite pj song... far from it.. but looking at avo, it's still miles ahead of unemployable. i'm trying to compare apples to apples here.
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    its a cool song gotta love that intro but inside job for me is the best song on the album
  • Options

Parachutes is my other favorite. Inside Job is a great song but there isn't much to it. Unemployable is a way more accomplished tune.
  • Options
    Alternatively, the elitist knobheaded fans will analyse the shit out of it and ultimately pretend it's their best song, because Ed says Matt writes the best songs.

Who pretends to like a song? Get real. That's what ignorant people say when they can't get into a song, and have no explaination why.

Matt DOES write the best songs. He writes songs for other musicians to enjoy, not drunken fratboys.
  • Options
    release30 wrote:
    lol...I just can't get into parachutes

me either,i strongly dislike that song.

army reserve & gone are 2 of my favorites!!and you gotta love comatose!
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    Who pretends to like a song? Get real. That's what ignorant people say when they can't get into a song, and have no explaination why.

Matt DOES write the best songs. He writes songs for other musicians to enjoy, not drunken fratboys.

matt's style is definitely unique to the other members of the band.

but in all fairness, if he was the sole song writer from day 1.. we probably wouldnt even be here on a pearl jam forum. stone is the man for me.

the money and popularity is based around 4/4 time ,3 chords and minor pentatonic scales! :D (i say that loosely but i think u would know what i mean.)
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    it's a fuckin Status Quo song!!
    the worst pj song ever no question about it..bad pub rock...
  • Options
    JzacurJzacur Posts: 64
    I dig it...
    9/28/05 PNC Park Pittsburgh- 6/23/06 Mellon Arena Pittsburgh- 8/02/07 The Vic- 8/05/07- Lollapalooza 6/22/08 DC
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:

HTF does Unemployable qualify as "pub rock"? You must be getting it confused with Come Back.
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    its my favorite song off the album. i'll even say it's close to being my favorite song from the last two albums.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    While the initial shine of Parachutes has somewhat worn off with repeated listens, Unemployable and Inside Job have earned no such fate. Two standout songs off an album proving to be a bit generic over time.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    Yeah, I love this song a whole bunch... :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    there's a song by a (bad) 80s british band called status quo called 'rockin all over the world'..it's on youtube..it's exactly like unemployable..i kinda think MC was takin the piss to be honest...
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    eldarion75 wrote:
    there's a song by a (bad) 80s british band called status quo called 'rockin all over the world'..it's on youtube..it's exactly like unemployable..i kinda think MC was takin the piss to be honest...

exactly like it? there isn't one resemblance.. (and i thank christ for that.)
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    i love how when someone doesnt like a nonhit song its always because they are drunken fratboys, fake pearl jam fans, or musical illiterates who just aren't smart enough.

Unemployable kinda sucks to me, but glad you like it.
  • Options
    i_am_minei_am_mine Posts: 53
    unemployable is a great tune. i like it a lot. i really like the line "if he can't sleep how will he ever dream".. solid album from start to finish!
  • Options
    jessejesse Posts: 170
    eldarion75 wrote:

sorry man but thank god unemployable sounds nothing like this song because its a shocker
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    To be fair to Mike, he co-wrote the music for this song with Matt.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    joewilliejoewillie Posts: 26
    I love it...I'm glad it got it's due at MSG1
    8/12/92 Waterloo; 4/6/94 Springfield; 9/28/96 NYC; 9/29/96 NYC;
    5/19/97 Mercury Lounge (Tuatara w/Mike; 6/8/97 Randells Island (Ed & Mike; 9/8/98 East Rutherford; 9/10/98 MSG; 9/11/98 MSG; 8/23/00 Jones Beach; 4/30/03 Nassau; 7/8/03 MSG; 5/31/06 The Avalon; 6/24/08 MSG; 8/5/08 United Palace (Ed); 5/20/10 MSG; 5/21/10 MSG
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Saw it live twice (or 3 times, can't remember). It's a great song. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

Then again, I'm one of those guys who likes every PJ song (except for shit like Sweet Lew).
  • Options
    I agree with you 100%. I love every pearl jam song besides stuff like bugs and Hey Foxy. Unemployable was the first song that really stuck out to me when i first started lsitening to Avocado
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    one of my favorites on avo
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:

Wow. It is better than Bugs.
    I actually love it.

More cowbell!
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......