Stoopid laptop button question for techies

skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Okay, this is a goofy, last-ditch effort.

My laptop has a ridiculous "Social Networking" button that I never use, but it's right next to the backspace button so I keep accidentally hitting it, which brings up an annoying facebook/youtube/twitter box that I then have to close. I do a lot of writing so it happens a lot and I just want to disable the damned thing. Is this possible?

I have a Gateway [somethingorother]. I swear I remember seeing something about changing its function in one of the various manuals when I first got the computer, but now I can't find it again. I've googled the question but nobody seems to know or care, the computer's "Help and Support" is no help at all, and the Gateway website wants to charge me 30 bucks for an answer...

Damn this ease of use. :evil:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• emilysu99emilysu99 Posts: 201
    Pry the button off.
    It's OK, It's OK...we've all seen better days

Noblesville 5/7/10, PJ20 Alpine 9/3/11- 9/4/11, MIA Philly 9/2/12, Missoula 9/30/12, Wrigley 7/19/13, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    get a new computer?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • tottototto Posts: 291
    Try hitting F5 for 11 hours.
    Milwaukee, 7/8/95
    Milwaukee, 6/30/06
    East Troy, 9/3/11
    East Troy, 9/4/11
    San Jose, Costa Rica 11/20/11
    Manchester, England 6/20/12
    London, Canada 7/16/13
    Chicago, 7/19/13
    Charlottesville, 10/29/13 *** Favorite Show****
    Milwaukee, 10/20/14
    Chicago, 8/20/18
    Boston, 9/4/18
    St. Louis, 9/18/22
    St Paul, 8/31/23
    St Pau,l 9/2/23
    Austin, 9/18/23
    Austin, 9/19/23
    Chicago, 8/29/24
    Chicago, 8/31/24
  • hostishostis Posts: 441
    check the keyboard icon in your control panel. There should be an advanced button configuration option set there. (start > control panel > Keyboard) (I am making an assumption that the PC is windows)

alternatively, search the manufacturers website for advice. I have never heard of a SN button before....
  • skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
    emilysu99 wrote:
    Pry the button off.
    :lol: I've seriously considered this. But the little OCD man in my head would fixate on the hole and be even more distracting...
    hostis wrote:
    check the keyboard icon in your control panel. There should be an advanced button configuration option set there. (start > control panel > Keyboard) (I am making an assumption that the PC is windows)

alternatively, search the manufacturers website for advice. I have never heard of a SN button before....
    Yeah, it's Windows but all the keyboard options are either about fancy "Sticky" or "Filter" keys, or things like how fast the cursor blinks - nothing about preset existing keys. I actually found it under (Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use). All the kitschy little headings are blatant lies. And the button itself has a picture of these three jolly little peg-men on it... I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

It's not enough of a nuisance to justify getting a new computer, which almost makes it even more annoying.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :lol:

there are some small programs that you can download that let you reprogram keys.

i can't recommend one.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I can't find the "any key" to continue
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Electrical tape.
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    if all else fails, replacement keyboard?
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2