Too Old for Fantasy Football ?

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I think I'm at that age...

I've been playing fantasy football since High School..before the league accepted it..imagine that ?

Before there was internet...100 different magazines about it

Anyone else at that point of their lives where you don't give a crap about it anymore ?
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    i think i may be there as well, but i don't think it has to do with my age....
    it's the bitching & whining from other owners that i can't stand. we'll see what happens, though. for all i know, i'll join 3 leagues this year! :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    2 leagues for 9 years now, same friends, same owners (save for a few). it's more for the social aspect.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    RW81233 wrote:
    2 leagues for 9 years now, same friends, same owners (save for a few). it's more for the social aspect.

see, that's what i'd like to be involved in. i was in a league with a few friends for about 5 years..then we all started getting married, having kids, moving, etc....it was fun while it lasted!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    RW81233 wrote:

I'm the same way. 2 leagues that have been going on for a decade. If either of these leagues folded I don't think I'd join new ones.

Fantasy baseball destroys fantasy football IMO
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    mfc2006 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

see, that's what i'd like to be involved in. i was in a league with a few friends for about 5 years..then we all started getting married, having kids, moving, etc....it was fun while it lasted!

Same here..we had the same group of guys but life kind of got in the way

Now it just seems more of a burden to keep up with everything

• curlycurly Posts: 703
    ya..i was playing in the 90's when we had to add up our own scores with the newspaper...never forget it..the usa today always had the best stats to get your points somewhat accurate...lol...anyways, went thru a few different leagues for a few years then finally got the time to run my own league...this will be our 5th year, same 10 friends...actually kind of looking forward to it this year cause my father and son finally are getting into it enough to run there own team without me having to draft/set their line-ups/etc etc for them...My sons finally old enough (13yrs) and my ol man such a golf finatic but he finally follows nfl enough to draft himself...to keep it interesting, we play for a good amount of money so i had to monitor their teams for them so it will be nice to see them on their own...gosh i feel and sound like one of these fantasy tweebs...its time for me to give it up!!!
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Never too old. My dad is almost 70 and he still plays in the same league with his buddies for the last 30 years. They still do it by paper!
    NERDS!
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I've trimmed things down quite a bit.

2 football leagues - neither serious, $25 buy in. Great thing about football, it's pretty low maintenance.

3 baseball leagues - 2 not serious, $25 buy in.

One baseball league, we're on year 21. That one is pretty serious, fees get in the hundreds and the winner usually nets about $1k. Of the 12 original owners 8 are still involved. One has gone on to be a pretty prominent fantasy writer on a major site.

But, everything is about the draft, and all of us flying back to our childhood home and getting together for the weekend. That's why we do it.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    But, everything is about the draft, and all of us flying back to our childhood home and getting together for the weekend. That's why we do it.

Now thats cool

I used to do the 2 leagues all the time but then last year I was just found myself not as involved as I used to be

:(

• FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    im only in college and i think im done this year... sadly wasnt that into it last year
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • I don't give a crap about football at all anymore, not just fantasy. I bunch of crybaby rich guys crying about what to do with their billions. Lets start fantasy futball. Go Sounders!!
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    I don't give a crap about football at all anymore, not just fantasy. I bunch of crybaby rich guys crying about what to do with their billions. Lets start fantasy futball. Go Sounders!!

Out of the 1860 players in the NFL, more than 1,000 are being paid minimum wage under the NFLPA contracts.

Which I think in around $360,000.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I don't think you can be too old for fantasy football. I agree with everyone who has said that they can't devote a lot of time to it because of certain things like marriage, kids, job, etc. For me, I quit playing partly because of that and partly because it took away from my enjoyment of the sport. It seemed like I got to the point that I cared more about individuals and their stats than I did about teams and even just watching the games. I had to take a step back from that and just get back to enjoying the sport by itself.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    jimed14 wrote:

yup ... these days ... once the draft is done ... guys are only moderately following ... someone will check midway and find they are at the top and pay attention the rest of the way ... :lol:

but i would put a draft whether it be for fantasy or a playoff pool as a top 10 guys thing to do ...
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    mfc2006 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

My hubby made it a priority to get me involved with football so that he wouldn't have to change that aspect of his life....now he's turned me into a monster and I practically eat, breathe, and sleep football. The cherry on top was when I beat him in fantasy 2 years ago...proceeded to win 2nd place and he was the worst in the league :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I don't get into it as much as I used to. 10-12 years ago I really enjoyed the aspect of managing a team.

Then, I over-saturated myself. I was managing 3 fantasy football teams, a baseball team, golf team, a basketball team...I literally sucked the life out of something fun.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Mr RK is a dedicated fantasy football player...he does one on Yahoo or something...drives me bonkers-he's up early on Sunday and watches from 8am till 8pm, then watches it on Monday, then Thursday (or whatever other random day they feel like throwing in)...it's the only thing he's motivated to participate in. :roll:

The only good thing that's come from it was...a 52" flat screen, thanks SI.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    he's up early on Sunday and watches from 8am till 8pm, then watches it on Monday, then Thursday

God, I miss football season.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    RKCNDY wrote:
    he's up early on Sunday and watches from 8am till 8pm, then watches it on Monday, then Thursday

PBM

:evil:

I don't...the only reason he comes home early on Mondays is to watch the pre-game crap...not for my b-day, not for a concert, only football...and my b-day is during pre-season...prob wouldn't even come home early for....um...nevermind, he just wouldn't. :|
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    prob wouldn't even come home early for....um...nevermind, he just wouldn't. :|

technique?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I can't imagine myself ever being too old for fantasy football...but I'm only 28 so that may change in the future...
    RKCNDY wrote:

PBM

Yeah..Sunday during the season is a lay around all day kinda day

RED ZONE on in between the stoppages

I can't imagine myself ever being too old for fantasy football...but I'm only 28 so that may change in the future...

You're just a young buck...believe me you'll hit that stage

:D

Did I see that commercial correctly? Is DirecTV offer NFL Sunday Ticket for free now?

I still have a year left on my Charter contract damn it!

PBM

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    RKCNDY wrote:

PBM

Yeah..Sunday during the season is a lay around all day kinda day

RED ZONE on in between the stoppages

Red Zone channel is one of the best things to ever happen to the NFL. Especially for fantasy football and gambling purposes.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    it isnt age.

I have been a fantasy football guy for awhile now. I am starting to get sick of it (as of last season). I still participate... but its not as fun as it used to be.

1.) there are games on Thursday through Monday now. The schedule isnt as neatly packed
    2.) many players' useful careers are much shorter now. It seems like there are more flashes in the pan and a lot more of the unexpected. I dont want to pay that close attention.
    3.) Games are tougher to watch. Too many commercials. too slow. NFL is getting very boring to me.
    4.) I started online wagering. It is much more of a thrill. Even if I just bet small potatoes.

I suspect a lot of people are growing sick of Fantasy Football. In large part it created the NFL's surge. It could mean the NFL will stop growing soon which is perfectly fine by me.
  • themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    You guys should check out the show "The League" on FX, or you can stream it on Netflix. It's a pretty funny show about 5 friends and fantasy football and how life revolves around it.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Did I see that commercial correctly? Is DirecTV offer NFL Sunday Ticket for free now?

I still have a year left on my Charter contract damn it!

PBM

Yep and I highly recommend it - I'm not a huge fan of satellite, but having the Ticket is more than worth it. We've got 2 TVs set up next to each other with their own box in the basement...so Sundays during football season means 2 games at a time from noon til 10pm! You can check the stats of your players right from the TV and it's updated quite frequently. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to live without it :oops:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    jimed14 wrote:

Now thats cool

I used to do the 2 leagues all the time but then last year I was just found myself not as involved as I used to be

:(

yeah i agree. the draft is the main thing. we all get hammered and it's pretty much the only time most of us see each other during the year. my league is made up of old work buddies. same league since about 2003 or so. only league i do. don't think i'm too old for it (i'm only 33 :lol: ).

fantasy football is awesome. doesn't require you to devote nearly as much time as fantasy baseball. i tried baseball for the first time this year. haven't checked my team since may. got bored quickly.
    september cannot come soon enough boys!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    MayDay10 wrote:
    it isnt age.

I have been a fantasy football guy for awhile now. I am starting to get sick of it (as of last season). I still participate... but its not as fun as it used to be.

1.) there are games on Thursday through Monday now. The schedule isnt as neatly packed
    2.) many players' useful careers are much shorter now. It seems like there are more flashes in the pan and a lot more of the unexpected. I dont want to pay that close attention.
    3.) Games are tougher to watch. Too many commercials. too slow. NFL is getting very boring to me.
    4.) I started online wagering. It is much more of a thrill. Even if I just bet small potatoes.

Numbers 3 and 4 on your list are spot on. Betting on football is one of my favorite things to do. It's a hobby of mine and I love every second of it