Air Conditioners

peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Window Units vs Portable Units - which is better?

My house has a 1/2 upstairs which I am turning into my home gym

I have central a/c but there are only 2 vents upstairs and I keep the door to the upstairs closed so it can get HOT up there

If I'm going to be working out I am obviously going to need it cooler...which means I need some other type of a/c because a fan just won't cut it

I'm debating whether to get a window unit or a portable a/c unit

From what I've read online the portables don't reallly do a great job of cooling an area, plus they are more expensive
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    never tried Portable Units..

the window one never fails . sucks taking it in and out . ;)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    we had a portable at our old office. chilly willy. worked good.

i would focus on BTU. the higher the number, the better.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • if you get a portable w/ a high enough btu, you'll be fine.
    I have one...we used it in our apt, b/c the windows were really old and would rattle like hell with a window unit. Nice and easy to install, and the one we have burns off the water so there is no dumping like a dehumidifier. Mine also has a fan and dehumidifier function...which do not need to have the hose connected to the window to use. They also have some that do heat as well. Only thing to think about is that you should absolutely clean it properly before putting it away after summer. Its drawing air in through the back of the unit, which sits on the floor...and if you have pets, that fur will get sucked right up in it. We didnt account for this after the first year of use, and when we installed for the 2nd summer, it started leaking everywhere...thankfully it was still under warranty at that time, so a guy came out and cleaned it up...just pet hair and dust clogging it up. Just take the filters off, vaccum it up and store it for the winter. Mine is a 12K BTU and did the whole apartment. Its now in my new place, and it does the whole downstairs nicely.

We got ours at Ocean State Job lot for like 400.00 like 3 years ago. Still works great and should have a long life if we keep cleaning it.

On another note, if you dont need a portable...i just got a 10K btu Frigidaire window unit for like $179.00 at Sears a few weeks ago. Just keep an eye out for sales. Also, it usually says on the box how many sq. ft. it will cool for the btu's. Just do the math there and you should be fine. A window unit is certainly cheaper, and if you really only need it for some of the time in one room, i'd just get a small maybe 5200 btu window unit. That would certainly cool down one bedroom for sure.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if you really only need it for some of the time in one room, i'd just get a small maybe 5200 btu window unit. That would certainly cool down one bedroom for sure.

if there is one thing i've learned in life, buy more than you need when it comes to this stuff. get the biggest one that will fit and that you can afford.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Saw my first portable unit last summer at a friends house. He had it in his ground floor semi-finished play room. It kicked ass. I've never felt colder air come from any type unit. It was fairly large but sat on the floor in a corner. We also have average temps of 90+ in the summer with 90+ humidity. I'd go portable. Good luck with yours.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    102*f frickin degrees :evil:
    conversion...102 degree Fahrenheit = 38.8888889 degree Celsius

a/c is a must
    as long as i can sleep in a cold bedroom i'm good

i agree with the 81, go larger than you need
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:
    if you really only need it for some of the time in one room, i'd just get a small maybe 5200 btu window unit. That would certainly cool down one bedroom for sure.

if there is one thing i've learned in life, buy more than you need when it comes to this stuff. get the biggest one that will fit and that you can afford.

This. +1
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    huh huh you said unit.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • huh huh you said unit.

big unit :lol:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUmxaylYddOwLn_7coFclqbAb1sTz1lDEbRbKs7S6j1yaUuwrbBQ
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    peacegirl wrote:

I have central a/c but there are only 2 vents upstairs and I keep the door to the upstairs closed so it can get HOT up there

If I'm going to be working out I am obviously going to need it cooler...which means I need some other type of a/c because a fan just won't cut it

From what I've read online the portables don't reallly do a great job of cooling an area, plus they are more expensive

you already have central a/c. hows about you leave the door to upstairs open when you work out. or consider housing your home gym downstairs... save yourself some money and do something for the environment as well whilst your toning your bod? 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • igotid88 wrote:

From the Product Details: "Simply add water to activate patent-pending cooling feature."
    Add water to something that is plugged directly into the wall :?
    That sounds like it has potential to get ugly

From the Product Description: "Best for hot flashes" :lol::lol:

• peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    peacegirl wrote:

you already have central a/c. hows about you leave the door to upstairs open when you work out. or consider housing your home gym downstairs... save yourself some money and do something for the environment as well whilst your toning your bod? 8-)

That's a good idea in theory but wouldn't really work for me

Even though I have central a/c I keep the temp at 80 and just leaving the door open wouldn't do much to cool it down upstairs
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    peacegirl wrote:
    peacegirl wrote:

That's a good idea in theory but wouldn't really work for me

Even though I have central a/c I keep the temp at 80 and just leaving the door open wouldn't do much to cool it down upstairs

not with that attitude it wont. why not just turn up the existing a/c for the short time you will be exercising?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    i'm having a new ac unit and furnace installed today actually.

was pretty brutal over the weekend with no central air :x ....cooled off last night though.
    www.myspace.com
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

was pretty brutal over the weekend with no central air :x ....cooled off last night though.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=128703&hilit=fence
    same contractor?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    chadwick wrote:

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=fence
    same contractor?

no. different contractor chad.

got a weird humming noise coming out of one of the ducts though. need this guy to come out tomorrow to check it out.

did you do your laps today?
    www.myspace.com