Pregnant Woman Beats the Shit out of Purse Snatcher

Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
This chick is bad ass. And, no, it's not my wife, who is also 3 months pregnant. :lol:

http://articles.philly.com/2011-07-18/news/29786959_1_pregnant-woman-court-documents-street-fight

When career criminal Vaughn Matthews decided to snatch a woman's purse and run from a stopped El train last Wednesday, he perhaps thought Lindsay O'Brien - who is nearly three months' pregnant - would be an easy target.

But the attempted robbery quickly turned into a street fight, and it was the criminal who ended up on the ground in agony, according to police.

O'Brien, 28, was on a westbound train at 63rd and Market Street about 1:30 p.m. when Matthews, 42, punched her in the forehead, grabbed her bag - which contained her laptop - and ran from the car, down a stairwell and onto the street below the station, police said.

O'Brien chased Matthews, who has an extensive criminal history - including assault, reckless endangerment and robbery charges, according to court documents - and fought him.

When O'Brien tried wrenching her bag from Matthews' grip, he twisted her right arm and broke her wrist.

O'Brien countered by kicking Matthews in his leg.

A visibly pregnant O'Brien told CBS that Matthews used his forearm to hit her in the abdomen.

That's when she planted a kick that broke Matthews' tibia in two places and sent him limping away, defeated.

O'Brien, whom police said is from Ridley Park, got her bag and was treated for her broken wrist at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Police found Matthews lying on the ground on the corner of 62nd and Market, and arrested him after O'Brien identified him.

Matthews was admitted to Hahnemann University Hospital. Police said the man is still in the hospital and will undergo two leg surgeries.

"She really did a number on his leg," said Detective Robert Daly, of the Southwest Detective Division. "I would never want to get kicked by this girl."

Matthews faces charges of aggravated assault, robbery, theft, receiving stolen property and reckless endangerment, according to court documents.

The would-be robber is scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 1.

O'Brien said she looks forward to testifying against Matthews in court.
Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    awesome story..hopefully the kid is ok.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Imagine that conversation around the jail.

Tell us again EXACTLY how you broke your leg...???
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    WTF? was she wearing steel toed boots?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    she is bad-ass but not very bright i'd say ... one thing to go after someone but at 3 months preggo? ... she could easily have gotten a miscarriage ...
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    1:30 in the afternoon on the El. Damn, I take the El all the time during the day. Not all the way up to West Philly but still.

I will say I am always aware of my surroundings since there has been a barrage of robberies of cell phones and Ipads, they grab them and jump off the train. I never take anything out while I'm on there.

Girl's got guts that for sure.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Never mess with a Mom....

and I just have to ask about

"visibly pregnant"
    and
    "3 months pregnant"

??????
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    StillHere wrote:
    Never mess with a Mom....

and I just have to ask about

"visibly pregnant"
    and
    "3 months pregnant"

??????

I was thinking the same thing - at three months??
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Maybe she is big like this girl.

4b12856bf11ffaa4_0.xlarge.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    1:30 in the afternoon on the El. Damn, I take the El all the time during the day. Not all the way up to West Philly but still.

I will say I am always aware of my surroundings since there has been a barrage of robberies of cell phones and Ipads, they grab them and jump off the train. I never take anything out while I'm on there.

that stuff is happening all over the Chicago El. I guess the cool kids that do it call it going apple picking.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    Maybe she is big like this girl.

4b12856bf11ffaa4_0.xlarge.jpg

adorable :lol:
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    81 wrote:

that stuff is happening all over the Chicago El. I guess the cool kids that do it call it going apple picking.

yeah we mind our own business and our own stuff when on the El in Philly thats for sure
    peace,
    jo

• peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Holy crap! Broke his tibia in two places - what kind of shoes did she have on?

and I agree with polaris...bad ass but not too smart
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,966
    hormonal.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    RKCNDY wrote:
    WTF? was she wearing steel toed boots?
    Nope it's all about WHERE along th4e shin she kicked him.. in the dead center, a good sliding kick will snap the leg in two..