Decent Acoustic Strings

kbuchholtzkbuchholtz Posts: 60
edited July 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am going to attempt to restring an old Alvarez acoustic guitar for the first time. I've had it done in a local shop, but they've closed. Plus I'd like to learn to do it myself. Can anyone recommend a decent set of strings I should get? I like them on the lighter side. I have elixirs on now, but they're a little heavier than I'd like.

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    I just put these Martin Silk and Steel strings on my Alvarez. However, I don't like them since they are a little to light and bright sounding. Might be good for what you're looking for though.
  • sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    I usually use elixirs since they tend to last longer, but i also use a medium gauge and not light. You can just try light gauge Elixirs or D’Addarios are also pretty great
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I keep going back to D'Addario EXP coated acoustic strings. They're coated in a thin polymer, kind of like Elixirs, but without the plastic feel that Elixirs have. I find them to be very natural-feeling, but they also last for a really long time. Then again, if you're already comfortable with Elixirs, no sense in changing (unless you're looking for a different feel or tone).

My favorite set of strings ever was a set from Sun Studio, which I received as a gift from my friend's mom after she visited there. I have very fond memories of that set of strings...

If you've never changed your own strings before, make sure you have the right tools (a string winder, a peg puller, and a set of wire snips) and watch a video or two on YouTube to see how to get the string set correctly. There are a few different methods; I've used the method that I learned from the Martin website but lately I've also been using a method that I just sorta developed on my own over the years. But there are definitely a lot of good resources out there, so do a little homework and figure out a stringing method that you're comfortable trying.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I like Dean Markley's for the acoustic.
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • kbuchholtzkbuchholtz Posts: 60
    Thanks for your posts. Definitely going to check out a few videos to learn how to do it. Great tip.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I was not a fan of how long the D'addario coated ones lasted...only about a week or so. I really am not a fan of elixers...but they're great. I'm afraid of getting gunk on my hands and board, though. I used to use Martin SPs and Martin bronze roundwound strings but both have kinda taken their toll on me. I'm using DRs now. They seem to fair well. gHs is also okay (and made near my hometown!).
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I like Dean Markley's for the acoustic.

+1
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran