Nutritionists

peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anyone ever gone to one/used one? Was it helpful?

I've been thinking about seeing one lately

I run a lot, 5-6 days a week, although right now I'm not because of a possible injury-have a dr. appt the 18th, and lately I'm beginning to wonder if I'm eating enough and eating the right foods. Especially since lately I feel like I am hungry all the time, no matter what I eat.

I don't eat meat except for seafood and that's only occasionally

I've read about nutrition and running but there's just so much information to take in, I feel like it would be easier to have a professional help me out

Or maybe someone here is a nutritionist willing to give me some advice ;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    peacegirl wrote:
    Has anyone ever gone to one/used one? Was it helpful?

I've been thinking about seeing one lately

I run a lot, 5-6 days a week, although right now I'm not because of a possible injury-have a dr. appt the 18th, and lately I'm beginning to wonder if I'm eating enough and eating the right foods. Especially since lately I feel like I am hungry all the time, no matter what I eat.

I don't eat meat except for seafood and that's only occasionally

I've read about nutrition and running but there's just so much information to take in, I feel like it would be easier to have a professional help me out

Or maybe someone here is a nutritionist willing to give me some advice ;)

Suppliment with protein. Seriously.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    As a runner, you are going to experience those bouts of hunger much more than most people.
    If you're serious about it, and it sounds like you are, you really should be consuming 2500-3500 calories a day. You're body is craving food, because it needs it.
    Being mostly a vegatarian, my guess is that you're probably not getting enough protein. It's common amoung runners who don't eat meat. Their energy levels drop and they are starving all day long. While you should be eating small amounts of food all day, you should also try to incorporate more protein (nuts, beans, etc.).

If you do go to a nutritionist, I'd do some serious research first. You want to make sure whoever you go to has a strong science background. Many nutritionists can get degrees online, and have little to no science background. Also avoid the "holistic nutritionists" as much as possible too as they can cause more harm than good.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    soudns like you need a good steak :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    "Nutritionist" is generic. See a dietitian if you are serious. That is a minimum of a bachelors degree and internship.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    81 wrote:

Ha Ha

I remember when I was kid and we would have steak for dinner and my mom insisting I eat at least a few bites..I remember chewing and chewing and not wanting to swallow it and hating every minute!

I never have liked eating meat...it never had much to do with the animal cruelty, I just don't like it
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    yeah ... protein is the longer digesting but longer lasting energy food ... plant based proteins don't work the same as meat based ones ... if you are sure you are getting enough protein - get some bloodwork done to make sure it isn't anything medical ...

but i suspect it's the lack of protein as i am guessing that is related to your injury ... after a workout of any kind it is best to have a combination of carbs and protein to help restore and repair the damage you did to your body ... it is why post recovery drinks are quite popular now ... depending on who you talk to - you have a like a 30 min to 1 hr window before the restorative effects are diminished ...

as for seeing a nutritionist - be prepared to be prescribed a bunch of supplements that costs quite a few dollars ...

oh ... and i am not a nutritionist ...
    "Nutritionist" is generic. See a dietitian if you are serious. That is a minimum of a bachelors degree and internship.

There aren't many nutritionist or dietitians in my area but one that I did find is actually a registered dietitian.

Plus I did find out that in my state if you want to call yourself a nutritionist or dietitian you have to be licensed with the state
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    81 wrote:

"Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker."

I know...the quote was about bacon...but still! :D
    polaris_x wrote:
    but i suspect it's the lack of protein as i am guessing that is related to your injury.

yeah, I've been suspecting my injury is probably related to my diet/nutrition...that and I didn't take enough time off after my marathon...I thought I did but when I went back and looked at my journal the other day I ran 20 miles the 3rd week after-stupid!

and I'm really certain I don't get enough protein like everyone has said
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    peacegirl wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    but i suspect it's the lack of protein as i am guessing that is related to your injury.

yeah, I've been suspecting my injury is probably related to my diet/nutrition

and I'm really certain I don't get enough protein like everyone has said

i got two friends who train and compete at a high level in a sport ... they were vegetarians for the longest time but have had to start eating meat (mainly chicken) because as they got older ... they were more tired and injured more ...

i think many vegetarians can get away with it earlier on but as they get older it becomes much harder ...
    Heavy lifters and long distance runners may need between 1gram/kilo to 1gram/pound of body weight. VERY hard to get that from just lean meats and beans.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I don't see any harm in seeing a Nutritionist/Dietician.

It would help to get some blood work done as well. I am very anemic and yet taking iron pills kill me, so I try and eat foods to supplement the iron that I am not making.

Good luck to you.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    Thanks everyone

Today I am going to try eating something about every 2hrs to see how that works and how I feel

I usually eat a snack between meals but maybe I need more

I think I need to research ways to get more protein too