Options

The Replacements

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited December 2012 in Other Music
I searched and didn't find anything. I think it's mandatory that this band needs a thread. The Replacements rule, plain and simple. I took my dog Zeke on a walk yesterday in the hot sun and listened to Pleased To Meet Me... damn, I honestly thing these guys didn't put out a bad record.

So, here's the thread for The Mats. Hopefully this one stays alive - this is a band that shouldn't be overlooked. I discovered them a few months ago (late yes, but better late than never).

A number of musicians have noted The Replacements as being a huge influence. In my opinion, I think The Replacements are highly underrated. But, I didn't grow up during their day, so maybe I missed the well deserved hype.

I seriously can't get enough of Tim

let's discuss The Mats! 8-)
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    DEAR GOD!! LOTS OF VIEWS AND NO REPLIES!!?? Paul Westerberg and The Replacements are a huge reason why I picked up the guitar. Tim is a classic and a regularly spun record in the Lee home. I think the later Replacements stuff sounded less like the classic sound and more like Paul aching to get solo.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Best thread ever. Worthy of a second post!! 8-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Best thread ever. Worthy of a second post!! 8-)

Thank you! I was getting curious as to why there was no replies on a thread about such a great band.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    DEAR GOD!! LOTS OF VIEWS AND NO REPLIES!!?? Paul Westerberg and The Replacements are a huge reason why I picked up the guitar. Tim is a classic and a regularly spun record in the Lee home. I think the later Replacements stuff sounded less like the classic sound and more like Paul aching to get solo.
    I'd have to definitely agree with you. While I still like All Shook Down, if I didn't know it was a Replacements album, I'd think it was Westerberg solo...

Tim though... oh my god, what a great album. Seriously, this band is fucking awesome.

I'm just going to throw this out there... Cluthe/Lee should do an "Androgynous" cover. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    On my list of 'bands I need to get into'.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options

The sooner the better my friend.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,435
    One of my top 3 bands of all time. I was lucky enough to see them a bunch of times between 1984 and 1991....always a great live show, full of power, passion and wreckless abandon. They had such a great arsenal of songs so their shows were always celebratory when they belted out Bastards of the Young, Left of the Dial, I.O.U. and Hold My Life, all in succession. Damn, this brings back some great memories.

They usually played the Hollywood Palladium, so the floor would always be jumping!

So many great songs...Talent Show, The Ledge, Can't Hardly Wait, Answering Machine, Color Me Impressed, One Wink at a Time....way too many to list!

For the record, All Shook Down was pretty much a Paul solo album.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    One of my top 3 bands of all time. I was lucky enough to see them a bunch of times between 1984 and 1991....always a great live show, full of power, passion and wreckless abandon. They had such a great arsenal of songs so their shows were always celebratory when they belted out Bastards of the Young, Left of the Dial, I.O.U. and Hold My Life, all in succession. Damn, this brings back some great memories.

They usually played the Hollywood Palladium, so the floor would always be jumping!

So many great songs...Talent Show, The Ledge, Can't Hardly Wait, Answering Machine, Color Me Impressed, One Wink at a Time....way too many to list!

For the record, All Shook Down was pretty much a Paul solo album.

Hold My Life, Left of the Dial, Bastards Of Young... all some of my favorite songs by them. Thus, being why Tim is probably my favorite record, but again reiterating that The Replacements entire discography is just so damn good.!! :mrgreen:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    I loved the Replacements back in the day and listened to Let It Be around the clock in 1984. I was hooked on Unsatisfied, many due to adolescent angst. I've often thought that Wishlist reminds me of Unsatisfied in that the narrator ruminates throughout the song. I love its simplicity. I Will Dare was awesome too.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643

maybe start with pleased to meet me.

alex chilton is amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RYQ8Y-ObMw
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

Now, I like Paul's solo material... but I just don't think even 14 Songs can hold a candle to Tim or Let It Be.

have you heard 49:00... ? do you know of plans for another release? i'd like to get it by, ahem, legit, means...

it's rad.
  • Options
    dpmay wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Now, I like Paul's solo material... but I just don't think even 14 Songs can hold a candle to Tim or Let It Be.

have you heard 49:00... ? do you know of plans for another release? i'd like to get it by, ahem, legit, means...

it's rad.

I have not heard 49:00.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dpmay wrote:

maybe start with pleased to meet me.

alex chilton is amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RYQ8Y-ObMw

Great song! It was on repeat a lot of yesterday and is what prompted this thread. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    Love them. Tim has to be my favorite album but I'd like to put in an honorable mention for Don't tell a soul. "Talent Show", "Achin to be" and "I'll be you" are great songs. Love the black diamond cover on let it be as well. I listen to their records on a regular basis including pauls solo stuff...14 songs and eventually mostly.

my ranking would go:

Tim
    Don't tell a Soul
    Let it be
    Pleased to meet me
    All shook down
  • Options
    I'm just going to throw this out there... Cluthe/Lee should do an "Androgynous" cover. 8-)[/quote]

Hmmmmmm.....stay tuned.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I'm just going to throw this out there... Cluthe/Lee should do an "Androgynous" cover. 8-)

Hmmmmmm.....stay tuned.[/quote]

:thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    dpmay wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

it's rad.

I have not heard 49:00.

oh man, you should try to find it - it's about the best solo westerberg stuff i think i've heard...
  • Options
    dpmay wrote:
    oh man, you should try to find it - it's about the best solo westerberg stuff i think i've heard...

I'll put it on my hunting list! :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Bump because The Replacements are fucking awesome and shouldn't fall down past page 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlqfRTFlxU
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    The Replacements. The band that took away pj's title of 'my favorite band.' I discovered this band a few years ago during a really depressing time. They hit notes pj never did for me. Westerberg is the man. i was so glad to see the reissues get some of the hidden gems on them the other year. sad to know that the reissues undersold what they hoped cause my understanding was there was plans for a 'mats boxset or even reissues for westerberg albums.

westerberg did mention something in a recent interview that sounded like maybe a boxset might happen.... i sure hope 'only if we must' gets an official release.

skyway. maybe the best song every written.

for those keeping score since 49:00 paul has released some other random things here and there. mostly all digital releases

1 song - 5:05
    2 or 3 songs - 3oclockcreep
    1 song - bored of education
    3 songs - dgt
    an ep - pw & ghost gloves cat....
    single - mr f (vinyl)
    like 49:00 - grandpaboys last stand & grandpaboys last stand epilogue
  • Options
    Paul Westerberg makes some cameo appearances in the new Glen Campbell video
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

ghost on the canvas is a westerberg song that was on the recent ep. havent heard glens version of it yet though.
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

ghost on the canvas is a westerberg song that was on the recent ep. havent heard glens version of it yet though.

No wonder. I always thought it was a song he wrote for Glen Campbell's last album.
  • Options
    The Replacements. The band that took away pj's title of 'my favorite band.' They hit notes pj never did for me.

I can relate so much to this right now. The Replacements have officially stolen my heart as of late.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    i didn't discover the replacements until don't tell a soul and never got to see them live. it's easily my biggest music-related regret. for me, let it be> tim> pleased to meet me was as good a 3 album run as any band's ever had.

somewhere on the hold steady's message board is a link to a tommy interview where he explains paul's inability to leave the baggage behind is why the reunion will always be a longshot. plus, chris got rich making creepy paintings and lost interest in music, tommy has the gnr gig, and frankly, old, angst-free and sober, who needs it? they weren't built to last, and that's part of their beauty. paul still plays the mats tunes when he crawls out of his cave. we just need to wait for his bank account to dwindle and he'll tour again soon enough.

i get the strong impression paul's a casualty of the post napster music industry. i think he could still write 20 should've-been-hits a year, but we're not hearing it because he doesn't see the upside in laboring over the craft of it. albums are dead. i think 49:00 is proof of that. it's 20 unfinished songs mashed together and sold for 49 cents, with just enough unlicensed covers to make sure it got pulled and never heard.

also, do most think all shook down really sounds that different than don't tell a soul? it doesn't to me. i've never understood why everyone has to call that one a solo album just because tommy and chris aren't on every track. besides, the solo albums ARE just as good. dead man shake is the only bad solo album he's made, and even then he had the sense not to put his name on it. i'm rambling now. the end.
  • Options
    spnoone wrote:
    i didn't discover the replacements until don't tell a soul and never got to see them live. it's easily my biggest music-related regret. for me, let it be> tim> pleased to meet me was as good a 3 album run as any band's ever had.

somewhere on the hold steady's message board is a link to a tommy interview where he explains paul's inability to leave the baggage behind is why the reunion will always be a longshot. plus, chris got rich making creepy paintings and lost interest in music, tommy has the gnr gig, and frankly, old, angst-free and sober, who needs it? they weren't built to last, and that's part of their beauty. paul still plays the mats tunes when he crawls out of his cave. we just need to wait for his bank account to dwindle and he'll tour again soon enough.

i get the strong impression paul's a casualty of the post napster music industry. i think he could still write 20 should've-been-hits a year, but we're not hearing it because he doesn't see the upside in laboring over the craft of it. albums are dead. i think 49:00 is proof of that. it's 20 unfinished songs mashed together and sold for 49 cents, with just enough unlicensed covers to make sure it got pulled and never heard.

also, do most think all shook down really sounds that different than don't tell a soul? it doesn't to me. i've never understood why everyone has to call that one a solo album just because tommy and chris aren't on every track. besides, the solo albums ARE just as good. dead man shake is the only bad solo album he's made, and even then he had the sense not to put his name on it. i'm rambling now. the end.

Don't Tell A Soul and All Shook Down are great, still Replacements album in my eyes. And yes, even though it sounds like a solo album... what's the problem? I agree with you that his solo albums are just as good. Westerberg is underrated in his own right as a solo musician, but I kind of like it that way.

14 Songs will forever be a staple in my music collection. Not to mention Let It Be, Tim, and Pleased To Meet Me... but truthfully I love all the Mats stuff. I love that they can get fast, loud, sloppy and punkish, and yet crank out a fucking awesome ballad. I love your point about them not being built to last and I also agree that that is the beauty of The Replacements. Something that good can't last forever, because it won't be good forever. What they've left us is enough.

I've been surprised over time to read how many and what musicians cite The Replacements as a major influence. Musicians I would've never thought would've been taken by The Mats.

Naive me also didn't know that "Portland" was a Mats song when I heard Middle Brother's version.

I recently just got 49:00, and I haven't made it through the whole thing, but I like Paul's idea and concept behind it. The overall point to it, much like you pointed out.

Fuck yeah, The Replacements.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    This is a set list from their last tour. I was lucky enough to have seen them a bunch of times. When they kicked it into high gear, they were amazing! They are definitely one of the most underrated American bands of all-time!

1.I Will Dare
    2.Bent Out of Shape
    3.Achin' to Be
    4.Another Girl, Another Planet
    (The Only Ones cover)
    5.Merry Go Round
    6.Happy Town
    7.Nightclub Jitters
    8.Someone Take the Wheel
    9.Swingin Party
    10.One Wink at a Time
    11.Skyway
    12.When It Began
    13.Waitress in the
    14.Kiss Me on the Bus
    15.Talent Show
    16.Valentine
    17.Nobody
    18.Asking Me Lies
    19.Hey Good Lookin'
    (Hank Williams cover)
    20.Little Mascara
    21.Answering Machine
    22.I'll Be You
    23.Can't Hardly Wait
    24.I Don't Know
    25.Bastards of Young
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    This is a set list from their last tour. I was lucky enough to have seen them a bunch of times. When they kicked it into high gear, they were amazing! They are definitely one of the most underrated American bands of all-time!

1.I Will Dare
    2.Bent Out of Shape
    3.Achin' to Be
    4.Another Girl, Another Planet
    (The Only Ones cover)
    5.Merry Go Round
    6.Happy Town
    7.Nightclub Jitters
    8.Someone Take the Wheel
    9.Swingin Party
    10.One Wink at a Time
    11.Skyway
    12.When It Began
    13.Waitress in the
    14.Kiss Me on the Bus
    15.Talent Show
    16.Valentine
    17.Nobody
    18.Asking Me Lies
    19.Hey Good Lookin'
    (Hank Williams cover)
    20.Little Mascara
    21.Answering Machine
    22.I'll Be You
    23.Can't Hardly Wait
    24.I Don't Know
    25.Bastards of Young

:o That's a pretty fucking awesome set list. Including Alex Chilton, Left Of The Dial, Hold My Life, and Favorite Thing would've made it unbelievable.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL