Listening is finally not enough! help! LOL

DoggystylenDoggystylen Posts: 164
edited July 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey all...i'm too the point where listening to these is not enough...i've got fucking O.C.D. with PJ, and now i need to know how to play...

couple of questions

Electric vs Acoustic....what should i buy first & why?

what is the best software package to learn from...want to obviously learn the basics for now

what song do you recommend i try learning first since i love them all...

forgive me as there is probably a post for each one of these questions but...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chris32482chris32482 Posts: 213
    Whoa... slow down :lol:

Are you saying you've never picked up a guitar before? If that's the case I'd recommend starting with an acoustic. And you're going to need to learn a lot of basics before you jump right in to playing Pearl Jam tunes. Learning the guitar, or any instrument, is not an easy task. It takes a lot of dedication.

But as far as learning materials, well, I've always had the philosophy that the greatest tool for learning guitar is yourself. It doesn't matter what source you use to learn chords, scales, etc.-- if you don't stick to it and practice every day you'll never get anywhere. That said, there's millions of books and websites out there for learning the basics on guitar. It may be old, but about 15 years ago, when I was first learning to play, I found a book called "Fretboard Roadmaps" to be tremendously helpful.

EDIT: here's a link to that book. http://www.amazon.com/Fretboard-Roadmaps-Essential-Patterns-Techniques/dp/0793520886/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310565777&sr=1-1
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    edited July 2011
    I agree with above poster. While I'm just a beginner myself, I'd also suggest starting on an acoustic as it will definitely teach you proper techniques and prevent you from playing sloppily and learning bad habits. Also, justinguitar.com is a good resource for learning. You'll need to learn a lot of basics before jumping in to play any PJ songs though. If you're really passionate about and stick with it it's a lot of fun and very rewarding. If you want to go the extra step I'd recommend actual lessons as well as one-on-one instruction is very valuable. There's only so much you can learn from youtube.
    Post edited by he.who.forgets on
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    A few people on here recommended this for me and I love it:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... uitar-pack
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • chris32482chris32482 Posts: 213

what song do you recommend i try learning first since i love them all...

Elderly woman behind the counter in a small town. It has the chords written in the Vs. booklet with the lyrics. :lol:
  • Start on Electric. I am a firm believer in start on the intrsrument you actually want to play! If you want to play guitar, DONT START ON PIANO. If you want to rock electric PJ songs, start on electric. And if you are in Pennsylvania, call me, I am a guitar teacher. :)
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • DoggystylenDoggystylen Posts: 164
    thanx man...good advice
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    If you are looking for a high quality but low cost electric, you can' go wrong with an Xaviere guitar... I picked up a Telecaster clone this year and was AMAZED at the quality and sound for such an inexpensive guitar.
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • DoggystylenDoggystylen Posts: 164
    phungi wrote:
    If you are looking for a high quality but low cost electric, you can' go wrong with an Xaviere guitar... I picked up a Telecaster clone this year and was AMAZED at the quality and sound for such an inexpensive guitar.

which one?
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    phungi wrote:

which one?
    I got the XV-820 but I also heard good things about the XV-JT90 series. If you Google "Xaviere XV-820" (or one of the other models) you will find a lot of discussions... I was initially a septic, but tech-heads have dissected these, studied the components, measured the necks with calipers, and written treaties on the brand...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....