Everyone is a professional photographer now?

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but probably at least half of my facebook friends (regular people that I know) are all "photographers." I don't know it's just a pet peeve of mine I guess. I don't think a digital camera, free online editing software, and charging a session fee makes you a pro. Well, that's my rant for the day...I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed it?
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    apparently they're all professional videographers too, ergo, youtube.

is that the right word, videographer?
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    That's the art world for ya. You only have to be marginally better than your friends and family at something to become a total hot-head shit about it. As someone who went through art school and now teaches, it's obvious that these "pros" would much rather compare themselves to their artistically inept friends than to the real professionals they aspire to. Parents, please don't encourage your kids at something they're not cut out for.
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Sad thing is most people don't really even know how to use all the expensive equipment they buy. And if the internet has taught me one thing as a newspaper journalist, people (publishers, readers, advertisers) don't care enough about web-specific quality.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you don't like my pictures?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    seems like the easy way out for people who don't want to work 9-5

guilting your friends into letting you take pictures for silly amounts of money

doesn't take much to take good enough photos i guess
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Getting a few friends to pay you to take pictures is not going to make you full-time job money. That's called side money and has no benefits.
  • I honestly doubt any of them have a tax number.
    fade away...

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I honestly doubt any of them have a tax number.

it's called a SSN number. just about everyone has one. ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    Getting a few friends to pay you to take pictures is not going to make you full-time job money. That's called side money and has no benefits.

friends have kids and then it's a close to full time gig...

and i'm also assuming that these people don't need full time money or benefits

their spouse who hates them provides that
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

The voice of experience...
  • Getting a few friends to pay you to take pictures is not going to make you full-time job money. That's called side money and has no benefits.

This is a little off of my original topic, but I used to be an ad executive for a local newspaper. I realize that not all small businesses are like this and I have great admiration for those who can build a business out of doing something they love....However, I would be safe in saying that probably 4 out of 5 small businesses in my town were ran by people who didn't need the money, they were just bored at home their spouse could support their venture. Actually the business itself probably went into the red every month, but hubby wrote out that rent check and that was all that mattered.
    fade away...

• My neighbourhood is at capacity for stay-at-home moms who have the logos for their photography business stuck to the rear window of their mini vans.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I think people just get really excited when they take (what they think) is a 'really great' shot. Art is so dependent on the audience...I think some pics are crap, but others may think they're great.

I've taken some cool pics but I still wouldn't consider myself a 'photographer'.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    I think people just get really excited when they take (what they think) is a 'really great' shot. Art is so dependent on the audience...I think some pics are crap, but others may think they're great.

I've taken some cool pics but I still wouldn't consider myself a 'photographer'.

Same here, I've even had a friend to ask me to take some pics b/c they think I take really good photos. I at least have been through the basic photography class and lab since I was a journalism major. However, I wouldn't dream of charging, it's just a favor for a friend. I do take some well enough that I have photos of my son that I've taken displayed throughout my home, but I realize that I'm not a pro and will not be venturing into the photography business anytime soon. It's just me, my point and shoot having fun with either my kid, wildlife, or my garden, which ever one is willing to pose at the moment. ;)
    fade away...

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    For anyone who wants to actually become a true professional, it has to be frustrating with all the illegitimate "competition"
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2