Options

Possible San Diego 4/15 afterparty fundraiser?

toocoolforkaraoketoocoolforkaraoke Posts: 17
edited April 2008 in The Porch
(sorry for the doublepost but this is so last minute I want to make sure I can get the right folks knowing about it)
We just started this silly weekly karaoke night that makes people pay to sing bad songs and donates half of the money to a local music education charity. I thought maybe if someone cool was playing in town the same night that I could try to get them to come over after their show. I dunno what the odds are that Eddie would be playing the night we have a Who contest but whoa.

I threw some notes on various webpages joking about him coming over after and then thought "HEY, why not make it a WM3 benefit and see if his people would be down with calling it the official afterparty. " Usually we donate half of our tips, which is only about $30 or so but if we started charging at the door halfway through the evening and got folks to come over after his show, we could make a LOT more. I'm friends with everyone in SD radio/press (& actually freelance for SD CityBeat) so it's not too late to make this happen. I'll try to keep an eye out here but if you can, email me at adamgimbel (at))))gmail(dot) com or through our myspace at http://myspace.com/TooCoolForKaraoke
Talk soon,
Adam
Who flyer: http://a23.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_358eabbd10556ba453459a2d107e0d9e.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I know it's a weekend but I'm so excited to confirm doing an afterparty that I didn't notice that I posted to a messageboard without gushing a little about the band, which isn't hard for me to do.

I haven't seen them in ages but my first shows were big ones. First was in LA opening for Nirvana & RHCP. The Seattle bands killed that night. RHCP did not. Sadly missed PJ's set the next night here in SD but Nirvana was even more amazing (that show is one of the more well-known tapes). Next up was both the opening and closing shows of Lollapalooza. I'll never forget how hot and full of energy they were that first show with Ed coming out and singing Summertime Rolls on a beautiful California day. Then, the unreal image of Temple of the Dog's only mainstage set on the last day with 100 people in the distance jumping a fence and racing towards the stage as Hunger Strike started. Whoa.

Somewhere around that time, I sold some nice guy a Mudhoney cd at the Wherehouse in Poway where Eddie lived. After they walked out, a co-worker said "That was Eddie Vedder!" Really? I'd be surprised if it had been but you never know....Did Ed play ALL of those Mike Watt shows in 1995? My memory fails me but I remember how incredible Foo Fighters were that night in SF.....

Anyways, I'd love to see this afterparty thing happen, give folks a cool place to go afterwards and sing "I Got ID" and raise money for a good cause. We're probably the only place on earth that makes every night a fundraiser. Very cool club less than 10 minutes from downtown (myspace.com/u31sandiego). If ANYONE can help me make this a more official thing, please let me know. Thanks.