Options

10 club complainers at EV shows

dwhiskeyddwhiskeyd Posts: 25
edited July 2011 in The Porch
Take it or leave it, or don't read it, but I gotta say something.....

I was at the Santa Barbara show on saturday. When i got to the 10 club box office to pick up my tix, I over heard a bunch of fellow clubbers complaining about how they got screwed on their seats, and how their seats weren't on the floor section, but were located in the mid section of the bowl. Once i picked up my tixs, I went to look at the seating map to see where i was sitting (section U), I had all these clubbers start flocking over me trying to scope out where my tickets were located, and trying to trade me to get closer. The worst was that I over heard some clubbers that were so pissed off that someone with a higher club number had better seats than (gasp!) them.

Seriously...why are we all in this club? I am in this club cause I love this band, and it allows me to get tickets to pretty much any show I can afford to go to. Great seats are a bonus, but honestly, all I care about is being able to see my favorite band. Fuck the seats, it the experience is what matters to me. Too much of a good thing can lead to some taking such a great thing for granted. I think that we forget about how awesome and lucky we actually have it. Honestly, some of you are getting a little too elitist into believing you are OWED certain seats. Some of you have been in the club for so long that the first fan club letters were written on Papyrus, which is great. But for fuck sake, stop acting like you are 12yrs old when it comes to your seats.

Senority is important, I understand that. But when I overheard some clubbers in line for a beer complaining about being in the 12th row from the stage at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I just about lost it. Everyone wants to be close, and everyone should get to experience being up close at a show. So with that in mind, I over heard a dad and his son talking about how their seats were up high at the SB bowl. So I traded them my 14th row seats for their nose bleed seats. Yep, just like that. (someone did the same for me during the 2000 tour in San Diego.) You would have thought that they won the lottery. I watched them walk down section by section till they finally got to their seats. They had the biggest smiles, and were totally pumped for the show. As for me, I had a blast up at the top. Great people, and an even greater appreciation for the venue, SB Bowl is by far one of the all time best concert venue to see EV/PJ at. There is not a bad seat in the house.

So in closing, stop all the complaining, and do yourself a favor and pay it forward to those that don't have it as good as you do. Remember why joined this club in the first place. Be happy with where your seats are. I promise this is the last post I will make for another 3 years.

Hugs and Kisses,
D

PS- put your phone/camera down, this is a rock concert not a zoo.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    dwhiskeyd wrote:
    Take it or leave it, or don't read it, but I gotta say something.....

I was at the Santa Barbara show on saturday. When i got to the 10 club box office to pick up my tix, I over heard a bunch of fellow clubbers complaining about how they got screwed on their seats, and how their seats weren't on the floor section, but were located in the mid section of the bowl. Once i picked up my tixs, I went to look at the seating map to see where i was sitting (section U), I had all these clubbers start flocking over me trying to scope out where my tickets were located, and trying to trade me to get closer. The worst was that I over heard some clubbers that were so pissed off that someone with a higher club number had better seats than (gasp!) them.

Seriously...why are we all in this club? I am in this club cause I love this band, and it allows me to get tickets to pretty much any show I can afford to go to. Great seats are a bonus, but honestly, all I care about is being able to see my favorite band. Fuck the seats, it the experience is what matters to me. Too much of a good thing can lead to some taking such a great thing for granted. I think that we forget about how awesome and lucky we actually have it. Honestly, some of you getting a little too elitist into believing you are OWED certain seats. Some of you have been in the club for so long that the first fan club letters were written on Papyrus, which is great. But for fuck sake, stop acting like you are 12yrs old when it comes to your seats.

Senority is important, I understand that. But when I overheard some clubbers in line for a beer complaining about being in the 12th row from the stage at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I just about lost it. Everyone wants to be close, and everyone should get to experience being up close at a show. So with that in mind, I over heard a dad and his son talking about how their seats were up high at the SB bowl. So I traded them my 14th row seats for their nose bleed seats. Yep, just like that. (someone did the same for me during the 2000 tour in San Diego.) You would have thought that they won the lottery. I watched them walk down section by section till they finally got to their seats. They had the biggest smiles, and were totally pumped for the show. As for me, I had a blast up at the top. Great people, and an even greater appreciation for the venue, SB Bowl is by far one of the all time best concert venue to see EV/PJ at. There is not a bad seat in the house.

So in closing, stop all the complaining, and do yourself a favor and pay it forward to those that don't have it as good as you do. Remember why joined this club in the first place. Be happy with where your seats are. I promise this is the last post I will make for another 3 years.

Hugs and Kisses,
    D

PS- put your phone/camera down, this is a rock concert not a zoo.

:thumbup: :clap: Everything you say is too true however I do like snapping the occasional picture and I do appreciate those that take the time to record video. Sorry, I love watching it on youtube.
  • Options
    -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    Agree on the ticket/seniority stuff!!!
    but I thought you cannot even think to take out your camera out... :o
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Options
    HAHA! No worries on the photo taking. That was just one more asshole thing I could think of to add at the end.
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    dwhiskeyd wrote:
    HAHA! No worries on the photo taking. That was just one more asshole thing I could think of to add at the end.

You promised.... that was 3 minutes, not 3 years!

Good post BTW... :D
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    Mikee J wrote:
    dwhiskeyd wrote:

You promised.... that was 3 minutes, not 3 years!

Good post BTW... :D

Busted.....
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Dude thats 3 posts in one thread...someone's gonna complain soon if you keep it up.

:mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    djjazzy276djjazzy276 Posts: 197
    Thank you so much for that post. I didn't even realize it, but I think I needed to hear that. I have 10 club tix to the Portland show on Thursday and, as I've been following this tour on the forum, I've found myself paying more and more attention to the complaints about 10 club seats not always being very good. I started to dwell on it, hoping that I wouldn't get "crappy" seats. But you're right, we are pretty lucky. I saw how quickly this show sold out. I saw how slooooowly the server was going when I was getting mine and let out a huge sigh of relief when my order was confirmed. When it is all said and done, I've got tickets to see my favorite artist. Someone I've been following religiously since I was only 10 or 11 years old. Not to mention it will be in the most intimate venue I've ever been able to see him/or the whole band. I just need to sit back, relax and enjoy what will surely be a show I will be remembering forever. Thanks again for the reminder.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Great post. I for one feel that smartphones and YouTube have ruined the concert experience. I was at soundgarden last week and this guy in front of me kept blocking Matt Cameron with his phone. (he was the only reason I went to the show). A uninterrupted mental experience is greater than any video on YouTube.
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Thank You! Thank You!

I can't stand seeing the same people in the first row at every show I attend. I usually hit California dates and I don't know your name, but you ass hats are in the front row every show. You have no right to complain.

My # is in the 200K's and I have had some average seats and some great seats. I always have a good time.

Those of your complaining that you're in the 10th row or whatever have probably seen more shows than you can't remember anyway.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    :clap::clap:

Well said! Some members get a little too crazy with seat location.
    I'm with you- it's all about being at the show.

BTW, That was really cool of you to give them your tickets :thumbup: !
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Great post!

:clap::clap: :thumbup:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Agree 1000%
    NERDS!
  • Options
    samsonitesamsonite Posts: 209
    Let me start by saying I completely agree with you on 99% of what you've said. I think it's CRAZY that some people complain about the lottery because a newer member might have better seats than they do. I've been a fan since TEN, but I was 13 when it came out and I never thought of joining any fanclub, (and couldn't afford it anyway). So just because someone has been "in the club" longer, it doesn't mean that they've been a fan longer, and who cares either way?! ALL FANS deserve a shot at THE BEST seats! My number is 220XXX so I've never been super close, but hopefully someday I'll hit the lotto.

The one area I agree with the complainers is when Ticketmaster tickets are better than TEN CLUB seats. We don't really pay for the right to buy tickets, I can do that through Ticketmaster, I pay for access to a presale on the best seats. If that's what we're getting then everyone should zip it (IMHO), if that's not what we're getting I understand the gripe.

Either way, I'm with you. These shows are supposed to be great nights, filled with great music, and no matter where we sat we definitely got that in Santa Barbara!

:D

grace and peace,
    sam
    grace and peace
  • Options
    fcbittencafcbittenca Posts: 345
    I agree when it comes to US and you guys have seats assigned.

Try to come to Brazil and go thru a Futbol Stadium packed with fans and not loose sight of your girlfriend.
    Decide to stay back and listen to her sadness as she says she can't see a thing.

All we request down here is 10C early entry to the venue like we had back in 2005. No premium seats, no separated section, no buffet. We pay the membership because we love the band... but the benefits of early entry in the concert... is not too much to ask.
    In love with music
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I think that many people were just angry that scalpers had dibs on many of the seats to begin with. But that's just the way the system was on this tour. And it's nobody's fault as money rules. Eddie has admitted in interviews that touring is a way to recoup lost earnings because of record sales. And I don't blame him, he's one of the only performers that deserves it. So I really do think much of the anger was directed at the system that nobody has control of as many 10 clubbers are great people and it's probably more passion and hurt than entitlement. The times are truly that of haves and have nots and it hurts to have not more than ever. So it's all good at the end of the day and that's all this board is for; venting about their hurt and people venting about them.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    samsonite wrote:
    The one area I agree with the complainers is when Ticketmaster tickets are better than TEN CLUB seats. We don't really pay for the right to buy tickets, I can do that through Ticketmaster, I pay for access to a presale on the best seats. If that's what we're getting then everyone should zip it (IMHO), if that's not what we're getting I understand the gripe.

Ticketmaster has rights to the seats though. They just give 10c an allotment of seats. Ticketmaster has deals with many of the venues and the venues themselves have seats that they control. The 10 club can't get every good seat, it wouldn't be fair to the others i.e TM & the Venues themselves.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Ms. Wes C.addleMs. Wes C.addle Posts: 2,559
    What a fantastic post!! Thank you! And you upgrading the unsuspecting folks? Karma baby! Karma. Good on you!!!

I am a fortunate soul for being able to do the things I love and never take a second of it for granted. I know how these solo things are.... And my dreams became a reality in Detroit! I'm thankful for all the opportunities that come my way. And yes, just 'being in the building' is all that matters, and the wonderful people like you are just something above and beyond awesome!!
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,153
    nicely stated -- and done.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    What a nice guy ! and nice post! :D

People do take things for granted, and I think it's easy to do if we don't stop to think about it
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Last time I checked it was a Pearl Jam fan club not an Eddie Vedder fan club...

WE're lucky with what we get... however I would appreciate my ukulele stuff :)
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    bd240995bd240995 Posts: 10
    well said, and i totally agree. I've never sat closer than halfway back and never had a bad time.
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    most excellent post kind sir. bravo
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    That was super nice of...Yeah, it is sad that some fans complain about their seats...But, I can understand that most 10c members expected to have somewhat better seats....I was 18th row at the Fox Theater for the St.Louis show...I am use to being closer to the stage...But, it didn't take away anything from the concert...I still had a great time...

Jeremy
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    That was super nice of...Yeah, it is sad that some fans complain about their seats...But, I can understand that most 10c members expected to have somewhat better seats....I was 18th row at the Fox Theater for the St.Louis show...I am use to being closer to the stage...But, it didn't take away anything from the concert...I still had a great time...

Jeremy

Wow. Again? :lol:
  • Options
    samsonitesamsonite Posts: 209
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Last time I checked it was a Pearl Jam fan club not an Eddie Vedder fan club...

WE're lucky with what we get... however I would appreciate my ukulele stuff :)

this is a ridiculous statement, for a couple reasons... (a) eddie vedder fans exist because of pearl jam, and (b) we all bought our eddie vedder tickets through the pearl jam fan club (meaning eddie is very aware of my first point). and just to reiterate, i totally agree with the original post.

grace and peace,
    sam
    grace and peace
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    very nice thing you did for that dad and his son
    yours will come back to you a hundred fold

last year at MSG (1 or 2 i don't remember)

there was a great big to do with some fans over seats (after will call and at the pre-party..awful)

some of those riffs have still not repaired themselves

a real shame

so good for you!

hope you enjoyed the show..i KNOW you did :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Fantastic post.......i hope i can meet you some day to shake your hand
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    Great post...I was lucky with camera/phone issues at hartford until Hard Sun....which I had to watch through the viewer of a really tall guy's camera phone as he had somehow moved right in front of me an recorded the whole song. Thankfully I got to see it "live" at the Beacon :D
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    This was a great read, thank you for posting!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    I agree as well. In St Louis i had better seats then a guy and he was happy for me. I told him it was my first set of 10c tixs and my first EV show. He said that he wished i had won the lotto and got kick ass seats but i felt my seats were awesome.

There are way too many threads on here about members who feel entitled to the best simply because they have been a member longer. I get the seniority thing but why not let a fan who has not been a member that long get atleast one great set of seats. If it pisses you off about your seats don't pay the membership and go the tickermaster route the 10c will not miss you if you leave.

What is unfortunate is this. The people who are complaining are getting all the attention here. It's really a small number of people. Overall this place is full of members who are kind hearted and want to help out other members as the OP did which you get big points for doing what you did. It's sad because the heart of this club is driven by good members who are there to listen to music and meet new and old friends.
    My butt itches!