Carmageddon in Los Angeles

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Are people here gonna alter their weekend?

Do you think all of the hype will keep people off the streets?

I can't wait to see how dramatic the local newsreporters act when they make their reportings from the scene!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    since they've been hyping this sfor the last 4 months, if hear one person complain about it, i'm gonna find them and light them on fire! :roll: :lol:

it was funny to see signs on the 101 in ventura :lol:
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    You're in LA, right? The hype is so crazy - almost as crazy as William and Kate.

Is the world going to end? I mean, who came up with "Carmageddon?"

Oh, I see that Norm has responded. Maybe us LA folks should have a Carmageddon party.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Enkidu wrote:
    You're in LA, right? The hype is so crazy - almost as crazy as William and Kate.

Is the world going to end? I mean, who came up with "Carmageddon?"

Oh, I see that Norm has responded. Maybe us LA folks should have a Carmageddon party.

as long as people will meet at Mulholland/Beverly Glen shopping area, I am game!
    i'm fortunate since i avoid the westside like the plague but if i lived out there i'd either be out of town or i wouldn't leave the house

the thought i keep having is what will happen if they get delayed in taking the bridge down? oh monday could be the biggest clusterfuck in this town's history :shock: :lol:
    norm wrote:
    i'm fortunate since i avoid the westside like the plague but if i lived out there i'd either be out of town or i wouldn't leave the house

the thought i keep having is what will happen if they get delayed in taking the bridge down? oh monday could be the biggest clusterfuck in this town's history :shock: :lol:

I was hoping to watch the demolition, but they are actually just gonna peck-away at the bridge...how boring!
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I have no clue what u are talking about
    I'll be back
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    norm wrote:

I was hoping to watch the demolition, but they are actually just gonna peck-away at the bridge...how boring!

i think i read that they're gonna lay down a few feet of dirt underneath so the roadway doesn't get damaged
    :lol::lol:
    SiriusXM will launch a new channel appropriately titled Carmageddon Radio. Starting at 10am on July 15, satellite radio listeners can tuned in to channel 140 for updates and driving advice related to the 53-hour 405 freeway shutdown. SiriusXM will conclude its Carmageddon Radio programming on Monday July 18 at 5pm PST.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/11/carm ... re_twitter
    I wonder how many people are planning an "Everybody Hurts" routine if they get stuck in traffic?
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I wonder how many people are planning an "Everybody Hurts" routine if they get stuck in traffic?
    :lol::lol::lol:

What's Carmageddon?
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:

What's Carmageddon?

It is the lame nickname for this weekend's closure of a widely-used stretch of the 405 freeway in Los Angeles.

The freeway goes through a mountainous area, so the only convenient alternatives for much of the closed stretch are one-lane canyon roads.
  • Time_BombTime_Bomb Posts: 147
    I'm a truck driver and we deliver gasoline to a few stations in the area and I'm not that worried about it. I'm sure I'll make it there. Eventually. Sucks for the police golf charity event in palos verdes though. Bad planning
    Let Me Live So When It's Time To Die Even The Reaper Cries
    Will the Mulholland bridge explode or implode?

Not quite says Metro. It will be more of a painstaking process rather than a Las Vegas style implosion. Think HGTV style demolition – you hack away at the tile instead of blowing up the kitchen.

There is a very carefully crafted timeline for the tearing down of the south side of the bridge this weekend of July 16 and 17th.

At midnight Friday night-Saturday morning, the area will be lit up like a sports stadium. Trucks will start hauling dirt on to the freeway to form a four foot deep cushion to protect the freeway from damage from falling pieces.

At 2am, workers will use a diamond blade to start cutting the top of the bridge deck as well as cut slots in the side to quicken the demolition process.

While they work, engineers will perform vibration testing and monitoring to make sure the northern side of the bridge is still holding up.

The fun begins at 5am, when rolling jack hammers come out and start chipping away at the bridge. Two will work on top, coming from the outside in. Two will work on the bottom working from the center and working out. They will deliver anywhere from 300 to 600 blows per minute.

Pieces from the bridge will be between the size of a basketball or microwave oven.

Meanwhile, crews with blow torches will remove the rebar that is revealed when the concrete comes down.

The demolition work should wrap up by 2 on Sunday night-Monday morning. Then the trucks will come back out and clear away the dirt. Striping crews will put fresh paint down on the freeway and do any other repair that’s necessary.

On 5am on Monday, the freeway will reopen.

Then we get to do it all over again next year.

http://totaltrafficla.com/2011/07/13/40 ... shed/13791
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I wish they'd blow it up - if they're gonna do all this stupid news coverage it could at least be exciting. And since the city is so broke, maybe they could charge people to watch. I'd pay to watch part of the freeway implode. Well, maybe.

(I had a meeting in Culver City on Monday and I live in the Valley and I know they say it'll be done, but I was feeling screwed. And then they pushed the meeting a week. Hooray.)
    I live a few minutes away from the 405 Mulholland onramp, so I am tempted to go check out the scene.....It will be amazing to see how many newstrucks come out to cover a construction project!...how much can they really say about it?

I wonder if the news outlets will tell us the make and model of the jackhammers?
    Enkidu wrote:
    I wish they'd blow it up - if they're gonna do all this stupid news coverage it could at least be exciting. And since the city is so broke, maybe they could charge people to watch. I'd pay to watch part of the freeway implode. Well, maybe.

(I had a meeting in Culver City on Monday and I live in the Valley and I know they say it'll be done, but I was feeling screwed. And then they pushed the meeting a week. Hooray.)

well, realize they're only taking down half now...they'll take down the other half next year so going all Bruckheimer on it won't work :lol:
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    That nickname is hilarious.

heard this:

At a news conference Monday, Caltrans and Metro officials announced that the contractor, Kiewit Infrastructure, would be fined $6,000 for every 10 minutes they run over the allotted time for completion -- or $36,000 an hour for each direction -- a total of $72,000 an hour.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:

heard this:

At a news conference Monday, Caltrans and Metro officials announced that the contractor, Kiewit Infrastructure, would be fined $6,000 for every 10 minutes they run over the allotted time for completion -- or $36,000 an hour for each direction -- a total of $72,000 an hour.

Imagine how much Kiewit must be getting for the job if they agreed to such huge fines.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

heard this:

Imagine how much Kiewit must be getting for the job if they agreed to such huge fines.

well the entire project is $1 billion but the fines (liquidated damages) are pretty standard for a project like this
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I live in the ghetto...........nowhere near the 405 but I've been seeing the info-signs all over the fwys for at least 2 months now.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    norm wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

heard this:

well the entire project is $1 billion but the fines (liquidated damages) are pretty standard for a project like this

Thanks for the info, Perry Mason!
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Oddly enough today is the first I've heard about it. Of course I avoid the west side as well! Driving there any day is usually horrid.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    channel 7 just interviewed a chick who is pissed because all of her plans have to be cancelled...hasn't even started and peeps are complaining :roll:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i want that quicktime video thingy of this happening
    zoooooom work
    many many hours go by in a 5 minute video and bridge is fucked

L.A. is a nightmare to me, dunno how you good folks can live there. i would be a mental patient if i resided there. and don't feel bad, it aint just you L.A. people, i dislike all large cities. :evil:

kiss my ass Los Angeles :lol:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    347875822.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1310832223&Signature=%2BW3hS1zw1EU%2BfK0XvzvVHP2apag%3D
    I never ever have to drive over to that side of town and wouldn't you know it?? I have to be out there by 9am tomorrow morning :/

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    norm wrote:
    since they've been hyping this sfor the last 4 months, if hear one person complain about it, i'm gonna find them and light them on fire! :roll: :lol:

The road being closed is bullshit!! WTF??? I'm in Albany, NY. :D
    DS1119 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Yeah, driving out early to meet Josh Homme for breakfast ;)

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    PJPixie wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Probably not. :|
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJPixie wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Probably not. :|

:) I'll send you a pic!