Need Lunch Ideas

pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I need lunch ideas. I am so tired of the same stuff and don't know what to add or eat anymore. I almost to the point of skipping it entirely. I usually have homemade sandwiches (ham and cheese usually, yes boring), some deli sandwiches and occasionally cheesesteak or Chick-Fil-A. Not a big fan of the frozen microwave meals. Enjoy fruit but have a hard time finding fresh fruit on a daily basis. Somedays crave pasta but if i don't bring in leftovers from home don't know of any places to get a small portion just for lunch. there a ton of deli's and pizza places near my work as well but that isn't the most healthly stuff and can get expensive. i'm bored of my lunches and don't know what to do. any ideas and/or what the heck do you people eat for lunch each day?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    just had 5 guys
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    just had 5 guys

boy you must be sore :lol::lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    pjhawks wrote:
    just had 5 guys

almost deserves it's own thread...

Neilybabe downs 5 guys....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Where in the city are you located?

I'm right down the street from Franklin Square and I love me a Square Burger. :D They're so tasty.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    if you want to add some variety and health ... you could make a salad for a week ... it can be a side to your lunch ... all you then need is some protein ... a salad that works is what i call everything salad:

corn niblets
    dried cranberries (or fresh pomegranate)
    sunflower seeds
    shaved almonds
    brocolli (chopped into same size as all the other ingredients)
    peppers (red or orange)
    apple
    dressed with some salt, pepper and good olive oil

you can add/subtract based on ingredients you like ... stick it in an old ice cream container or whatever and keep it in your fridge ... go and get a burger and eat it as a side ... not sure what else is around you ... just gotta add a bit of protein to this lunch ...
  • neutron baumneutron baum Posts: 294
    I keep a box of graham crackers in my office that I munch on throughout the day and my favorite, inexpensive lunch are those tuna packs that you mix up and come with crackers. that usually satisfies me until I get home and then have to figure out what to eat for dinner :)

I'm right down the street from Franklin Square and I love me a Square Burger. :D They're so tasty.

suburbs actually, Media area.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    pjhawks wrote:
    just had 5 guys

OMG :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
    well, then, that's that :D

I go through the same thing everyday as well, I'm the pickiest eater on the face of this earth and I am sick of the same old crap, but I don't like anything so it presents a problem

but you can't go wrong with a good salad.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    pjhawks wrote:
    just had 5 guys

post of the year!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730

I was right up the street from Franklin Square for 3 years, good spot for the summer. Now in the Wanamaker Building as of a couple months ago.

As for lunch, I bring a salad most days. Make a pretty legit salad though, nothing boring.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    coffee and cannoli - the lunch of champions

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnxxqsMR2h1qffsd3o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1310148996&Signature=xazOWKcpNEmk1%2BUrn9JQ%2FCMvVZs%3D

I took this image a couple weeks ago. The cannoli were awesome, and the iced coffee hit the spot.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    just had 5 guys

We just got one of those. How are the burgers?
    I'll be back
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    just had 5 guys

big huge juicy greasy thing...and a shitload of fries...I even get the mini burger and it's too much food for me.
    It's more like the 'old fashion' style...way better than Carl's Jr.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I was right up the street from Franklin Square for 3 years, good spot for the summer. Now in the Wanamaker Building as of a couple months ago.

As for lunch, I bring a salad most days. Make a pretty legit salad though, nothing boring.

My sister works in the Wanamaker Building. That's not too far from the Gallery so at least you have the food court options. Also not too far from the Reading Terminal. Your options are plentiful. :D
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    just had 5 guys

it's ridiculous the amount of fries you get ...
  • PapPap Posts: 28,789
    Meal: Tagliatelle with hum and mushrooms

Dessert: Banana
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

My sister works in the Wanamaker Building. That's not too far from the Gallery so at least you have the food court options. Also not too far from the Reading Terminal. Your options are plentiful. :D

Great building, I like it here. Yeah, options are good, I usually hit up grocery at 13th and chestnut and get a sandwich or salad or yeah, the terminal is the best.
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    Jager
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    rethink what constitutes lunch.
    when i was working, i had a few basic staples that i would rotate of lunch meals and i always brouhgt lunch/snacks from home. first tho, i have to ask, why don't you have access to fresh fruit? we shop once a week and almost everything stays fresh for the week, np. i would often have hummus and cut veggies, or sure, a sandwich, but vary your meats/cheeses/breads/condiments - a real fave of mine is roast turkey with provolone on seeded rye bread with wasabi mustard. also a big fan if mixed greens salads topped with roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers and balsamic vinegar.

after you have your main dish - i always brought a serving of nuts, usually some fresh berries, and also a banana and/or a clementine for a snack at some point. thing is, vary your extras, and yes, you must PLAN your meals for the week. it does take a bit of prep work at home, but once you get started, you get a system going and it's relatively easy. usually on sundays i would divy up my greens for the week into gladware, same with portions of nuts, etc. then the night before if having salad i'd add the other toppings (except dressings of course, those go into leak-proof nyglene mini bottles) or make my sandwich if that was my plan...then wash my fruit and put in gladware. minimum of effort, but tasty results...and you know you are eating healthy, a variety, and also saving $$$ rather than eating out. you do need to get yourself varying sizes of gladware, and i personally used an insulated lunchbox :)...but do whatever works for you. i was never bored with my lunches and coworkers would come by our dining area and always comment on how great my lunches always looked. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

rethink what constitutes lunch.
    when i was working, i had a few basic staples that i would rotate of lunch meals and i always brouhgt lunch/snacks from home. first tho, i have to ask, why don't you have access to fresh fruit? we shop once a week and almost everything stays fresh for the week, np. i would often have hummus and cut veggies, or sure, a sandwich, but vary your meats/cheeses/breads/condiments - a real fave of mine is roast turkey with provolone on seeded rye bread with wasabi mustard. also a big fan if mixed greens salads topped with roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers and balsamic vinegar.

after you have your main dish - i always brought a serving of nuts, usually some fresh berries, and also a banana and/or a clementine for a snack at some point. thing is, vary your extras, and yes, you must PLAN your meals for the week. it does take a bit of prep work at home, but once you get started, you get a system going and it's relatively easy. usually on sundays i would divy up my greens for the week into gladware, same with portions of nuts, etc. then the night before if having salad i'd add the other toppings (except dressings of course, those go into leak-proof nyglene mini bottles) or make my sandwich if that was my plan...then wash my fruit and put in gladware. minimum of effort, but tasty results...and you know you are eating healthy, a variety, and also saving $$$ rather than eating out. you do need to get yourself varying sizes of gladware, and i personally used an insulated lunchbox :)...but do whatever works for you. i was never bored with my lunches and coworkers would come by our dining area and always comment on how great my lunches always looked. 8-)

i usually buy my fruit already cut either at the supermarket or local WAWA (local deli/convenience type stores) so it's hit or miss on the freshness. i've thought about going to local fruit store and picking out my own and cutting it up like you suggest. right now i'm thinking that is my best bet. seems like i need to prepare some stuff ahead of time whether it be fruit or some pasta from home.
    again, I'm so picky, it's hard for me to change things up.

I asked the guy in the cafeteria to get some corn on the cob for the summer time. I could eat an ear of corn, some sliced cucumber and a slice of bread and be totally satisfied with my lunch.

He said yeah sure I can do that.

That was three weeks ago. Still nothing. :x

and there is a fruit truck where I get off the train that has the best fruit ever, so sometimes I pick that up for lunch.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    pjhawks wrote:

i usually buy my fruit already cut either at the supermarket or local WAWA (local deli/convenience type stores) so it's hit or miss on the freshness. i've thought about going to local fruit store and picking out my own and cutting it up like you suggest. right now i'm thinking that is my best bet. seems like i need to prepare some stuff ahead of time whether it be fruit or some pasta from home.

it really is, honestly.
    at first it might all seem like a pain in the ass, but once you do it a week or two, you'll see it's not too much bother, you'll enjoy your lunches more (i often very much looked forward to my work lunch :)...and as i said, you also will know you are eating healthier and saving $$$. win-win!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I shop for groceries once a week and make sure I get all my lunch things.
    I usually have a sandwich on soy and linseed bread (which I keep in the freezer and just take out 2 pieces a day) with a variety of different fillings. A pottle of yoghurt. At least one piece of fruit, an apple or mandarin. And a snack bar. It is so much cheaper to bring your lunch from home. I buy my lunch once a fortnight from my favourite cafe. Mmmm now I'm hungry....
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,968
    just had 5 guys

I think he's wanting more than just a boring wiener.