Options

Get Up & Enjoy the show!

edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
edited May 2008 in The Porch
What is up with people who go to concerts & sit the whole time?!

I have had 2 weird personal experiences with this...

1. Went to Pearl Jam in Arnhem, NH in 2006. Wolfmother opened & me and my husband were sitting down along with everyone having a beer & settling in. Then Pearl Jam comes on. Pearl Jam! I went to stand up & was the only one in my section that was up. My husband said that someone else told him they went to a concert overseas & that they didn't then either. Is that true? If it is it's weird. Anyway, we had seats on the side about 20 rows from the top. We ended up going all the way up where no one was sitting so we could stand up & dance. It's Pearl Jam!!! Anyway, I got strange glances - but had the best time!

2. Saw Genesis in Philly. Got to our seats (which SUCKED!) & was told we had to be relocated because of the obstructed view. We ended up in the 3rd row right alongside of the stage! Went with 3 other girls & we were standing up having a good time & these guys behind us kept telling us to sit down & giving us real problems. (to the point where my friend got security involved...)

Anyway, my point is, if you are going to a rock concert & want to sit down the whole time....oh well, that's your decision - just don't bother the people having a harmless good time!

what's your take?
"I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    for me it depends on the band.

I think the audience just rocks out in their own way honestly, even if that means sitting down and just cheering and applause.

I hate moshpits personally but have been stuck in a few not by choice though, that is why I personally don't like GA shows. I'd rather watch the show without worrying or about or dodging a hospital visit because of some assholes who just need an an excuse to beat someone up. I have also been kicked by crowd surfers and had one fall on me and friend once. Kind of puts a damper ofn the show experience cause it's disruptive.

If the crowd is jumping up and down in a pgo type motion, that is fine nothing wrong with dancing and getting into the show by bouncing in line to the song being played.

I have also been to several sit down gigs (The moody blues, Peter Frampton, ELO Roger waters ect. The crowd stood the whole time and then on some songs they sat down. Both PJ shows I went to the crowd behaved really awesome. Everyone having a great time, just enjoying the music. Haven't seen them since 2003, but I really hope the shows I go to the crowd is done with moshing. I just enjoy watching pj like I have at the bands mentioned above. I've think the majority of people at pj shows I was at were standing the whole time. I had a huge cast on my right foot from a big surgery I had, so I stood as much as I could, but the crowd was really into and I meet so many cool people at shows too.
    Concerts are always enjoyable, it's just everyone enjoys them in their own way. Weird thing is, I have never been asked to sit down when grooving to the music in reserved seats or even the lawn.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    waves roll inwaves roll in Posts: 159
    Completely agree. I had this experience at the recent Springsteen Charlotte show. It was my first time seeing the Boss with E-street (caught him on the Devils and Dust tour). During "Lost in the Flood" (awesome song, and somewhat rare I think) some girl behind me keeps poking me and I look back and she tells me to sit down. I calmly told her that I "No, there are screens for you to look at if you need to see otherwise stand up." This pisses her completely off and she keeps poking me and yelling now. So, I make a deal, I say "If you can tell me the name of this song I will sit down" and she says "I don't know it, noone does." I say, "I do I will remain standing." Then her huge ass 300 pound all muscle boyfriend steps in I was like well this sucks but I am standing my ground and he actually took my side and all was good. But damn, good thing that song is long because she ruined quite a bit of that song.
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I don't understnad where this idea comes from.

I have been to 22 PJ shows. I don't ever recall being at a show where people were sitting down.

Now, for the past 15 shows or so (excluding Vic and Lolla) i was in my 10C seats, which are always between rown 11 and 20 on the floor, but i can tell you for certain that no one in the first 20 rows is ever sitting down when PJ is playing.

You'll never see me sitting down, tha's for sure.

At the show I was at In Arnhem - the entire floor was standing, only the people in the actual seats weren't (on the side)

The lawn also underrated - everyone seems to just have a great time!

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

• Options
    Completely agree. I had this experience at the recent Springsteen Charlotte show. It was my first time seeing the Boss with E-street (caught him on the Devils and Dust tour). During "Lost in the Flood" (awesome song, and somewhat rare I think) some girl behind me keeps poking me and I look back and she tells me to sit down. I calmly told her that I "No, there are screens for you to look at if you need to see otherwise stand up." This pisses her completely off and she keeps poking me and yelling now. So, I make a deal, I say "If you can tell me the name of this song I will sit down" and she says "I don't know it, noone does." I say, "I do I will remain standing." Then her huge ass 300 pound all muscle boyfriend steps in I was like well this sucks but I am standing my ground and he actually took my side and all was good. But damn, good thing that song is long because she ruined quite a bit of that song.

funny - because after my friend got security EVERYONE in the rows in front of these guys stood up, so even their view of the screens were blocked...Everyone else was really cool about it!

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    There are some shows where you just can't sit down because they are just so awesome. Those shows when th crowd and band are just totally in tune and passing the energy back and forth. When I saw Wolfmother that was the case. For the first 2/3 of the show I was sitting and still very much enjoying the show along with everyone else.

But once the encore rolled around the show just took off and the whole place was just fucking nuts. Kids were headbanging along the balcony railing and the whole place was just moving and vibrating and the band were tearing it the fuck up. By then I was standing and just being swept up by this amazing pounding energy.

So basically my point is it's very possible to enjoy a show standing and dancing or sitting and just letting the music envelop you. It annoys me sometimes when people insist on sitting but it also annoys me when people say you can't enjoy a show just sitting. That's absolutely untrue. When I sit I just watch the band and just let everything wash over me. It's just as cool.

I don't have a problem with standing and rockin out either which is what I'll probably be doing for PJ, depending on the vibe. ;)
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    when i go to a show, a PJ show, I jump and dance and sing, etc. while my husband stands there with his arms crossed, not moving until GTF. i always ask if he's having fun, and he says yeah-loves it...then why is he just standing there? He says he likes to watch and see the show...and he's 6'5" and doesn't want to completely block someones view behind him. so...whatever works, I guess!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    Mike GossardMike Gossard Posts: 344
    Sitting down sucks, it's not a movie folks, it's a fucking rock band that you paid big bucks to see. That being said it's all up to the crowd. If everyone in your section sits down, I dont think you should be the only person standing up. Plus usually people in the upper deck and the back of the arena sit, and will stand up for their favorite songs and to clap once in a while.

It's up to you and the people around you.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    I just say - don't be afraid to stand up. You may be first and everyone will follow. It changes the whole vibe of the show.

I hope American crowds won't let me down, you still have a chance against the aussies.
  • Options
    venmosvenmos Posts: 29
    if your standing up and someone asks you to move because your obstructing their view, then its just polite to try and put yourself in a better position. if you've paid for seated tickets, and people who are sitting down ask you to move/sit down because your in their way, then yeah they are within their rights to do so because you are in seated tickets.

personally, i think standing is great at concerts and i always try to get standing tickets for any gig. when ive had to get seated tickets, everyones always stood anyway.
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    einatshaul wrote:
    I just say - don't be afraid to stand up. You may be first and everyone will follow. It changes the whole vibe of the show.

I hope American crowds won't let me down, you still have a chance against the aussies.

That's because Aussie crowds suck (10c excepted)
    Even at sporting events Aussie crowds are lame. You can go to a sporting event over here with 90,000 people in attendance but I'd put money on it that the atmosphere would be worse than a lower league football match somewhere in Europe with only 5000 people present

Us Aussies need help :(
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    The ones who seated are the ones who liked PJ when Ten came out.I ran into this at the Tampa 2003 show.I was 4th row Mike's side and a real fan(He had the tickets and was talking about how great the previous nights show was.) and his friend where next to me.Show starts friend is sitting. Anytime a song from Ten was played friend stands up.Anytime a song was played from any other album friend sat down.I wanted to kick this guy up to the nose bleeds that night.Because I am sure anyone would have killed for that seat that was a real fan.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Only weird experiance was when I was at the 03 Santa Barbara show. I was first row (in the top section) and about 6 songs in, I heard a few people yell for us to sit down. I didn't. It just confirmed to me that they were not true fans. I mean, this was the TOTD reunion show! How could anyone sit down!

Also, they only went nuts when Last Kiss was played. Go figure.
  • Options
    venmosvenmos Posts: 29
    I'm a bit confused here, you can't accuse someone who doesnt stand up of not being a true fan. It's personal preference whether they stand or sit and it doesnt make them like the music any less. For all you know they could have a bad leg or something inhibiting them from standing for long periods.

As to the people who stand up for specific songs, again, maybe they like those songs more than others, but it doesnt make them less of a fan. If you're going to go down this approach, then why not apply it to other scenarios "Oh look, that person isnt singing the lyrics to this song, that must mean they are not as big a fan as me!" or how about "Wait.... is that person not jumping and clapping when Eddie commanded it?! Throw him out now and get a true fan in here!". As pearljgirl2010 stated, her husband doesnt move much at a show because he's a big guy, but that doesnt mean he isnt enjoying it or is less of a fan.

Its fair to say that we all like to stand up, but not everyone does, and to call them out for that is unfair.
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Jason P wrote:

Also, they only went nuts when Last Kiss was played. Go figure.

haha, yeah, strange fenomenon, there are a bunch of people that only know and like Pearl Jam for Last Kiss. :)

Anyway, I'd love to see them in South America, that is much more my style of experience, try sitting there and get foot prints on your scalp. Israel would welcome them that way too, they are waiting for a long time...
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    There's actually a few bands commenting to the media about how sedate concert crowds seem to be these days...people texting, yapping on cell phones, taking photos, sitting, not paying attention to the band, etc. It's become quite a problem for some bands apparently. Unfortunately I can't remember what bands...but they were complaining about crowd apathy.

At the Moody Blues show I attended last summer, I was so pissed that 99% of the crowd sat there like they were watching a DVD (and security kept telling me to sit down), I phoned the local paper and they did a big article on it (even got PJ a mention). It's nice to hear that it's not just me who thinks some crowds are lame...

Last night's REM show was great...got up front with a nice group of people and everyone seemed to be quite into it...of course, the grass was damp and it was too many people were standing to remain on their blankets...I did sit through most of Modest Mouse though.
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    djonesrdjonesr Posts: 73
    People who tell other people to sit down at concerts should not be allowed to go to concerts.
  • Options
    Last time I saw Pearl Jam, I was in the front row of my section. Noone ever yelled at me to sit down and to tell you the truth I was so into the concert that I may not have even noticed if someone did.

I did sit down when I needed to though, because I get in pain from standing for extended periods of time due to my bad back and knees. It is just a shame to judge someone you see sitting down, because you honestly don't know the reason why they are sitting.

I just had my 49th birthday yesterday and I surely hope I will be rockin' at the Verizon Center in DC next month. But please don't think less of me if you see me sitting out a few songs. I will be enjoying every second of the concert regardless if I am standing or sitting or acting like a wild woman.
    Mary Jane
    ~~~~~~
    09/04/2000 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
    07/01/2003 Nissan Pavilion Stone Ridge, Bristow, VA
    06/22/2008 Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
    10/27/2013 Baltimore Arena (1st Mariner), Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    you're not strange if you're sitting - your option - as long expecting people in front of you to sit down as well so you can see. The people in my case who were wanting us to sit down were just idiots. They were fine standing when they felt like it, but when they weren't into the song - they sat down & expected us to do the same.

Hope you enjoy the concert (go wild!) & Happy Birthday!!!!!!
    (maybe they'll come back next year for the big 5-0!)

• Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    venmos wrote:
    I'm a bit confused here, you can't accuse someone who doesnt stand up of not being a true fan. It's personal preference whether they stand or sit and it doesnt make them like the music any less. For all you know they could have a bad leg or something inhibiting them from standing for long periods.

As to the people who stand up for specific songs, again, maybe they like those songs more than others, but it doesnt make them less of a fan. If you're going to go down this approach, then why not apply it to other scenarios "Oh look, that person isnt singing the lyrics to this song, that must mean they are not as big a fan as me!" or how about "Wait.... is that person not jumping and clapping when Eddie commanded it?! Throw him out now and get a true fan in here!". As pearljgirl2010 stated, her husband doesnt move much at a show because he's a big guy, but that doesnt mean he isnt enjoying it or is less of a fan.

Its fair to say that we all like to stand up, but not everyone does, and to call them out for that is unfair.

THANK YOU!

Might be a good idea for people to realize that it's a great big world out there, loaded with possibilities, including one where a rabid Pearl Jam fan won't be attending any shows, not even the ones in her own backyard, because she has a terminal heart/lung condition. The intensity of the show itself would pose problems (yet, an ideal way to go!) but being stuck sitting in your seat because you CAN'T STAND FOR TWO HOURS, EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE, NO PUN INTENDED, DYING TO, cannot even be considered -- there's no air down there, and one would rather look at Jeff's ass than any of yours, no disrespect intended. If people kept their seats, what is impossible might become possible -- so there are many more perspectives out there than most are comfortable considering.

People react to the intensity of music and their feeling for it in many ways, it is ridiculous to judge the intensity of anyone's devotion based on standing or sitting. The concentration should be on moronic behavior -- the damn texting and phone calls and all the other gimmick bullshit. Anyone who is really into anything on any level would be able to put their high-tech rattles and pacifiers down till the houselights come up.
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    What is up with people who go to concerts & sit the whole time?!

what's your take?
    if its a pearl jam show, there should be a no sitting policy! :D UNLESS you have a disability that wont allow you to stand too long.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    remember that part right b4 the evenflow video where Ed screams "This is NOT A TV studio...JOSH ..turn these lights out! Its a FUCKIN ROCK CONCERT!!! READY??? DO STAND UP!!!!"
    thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WLyGBkN2To

WAAAHHH!!!!!!
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    stickboy wrote:
    remember that part right b4 the evenflow video where Ed screams "This is NOT A TV studio...JOSH ..turn these lights out! Its a FUCKIN ROCK CONCERT!!! READY??? DO STAND UP!!!!"
    thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WLyGBkN2To

WAAAHHH!!!!!!
    that is CORRECT!!!! :D dude, we NEED to FLOW!!!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    that is CORRECT!!!! :D dude, we NEED to FLOW!!!!!
    yo, pearljamlivedotcom is acting funny now..I cant even get it to connect to any of the shows anymore..Im pissed! so tonite I just popped on the gorge boxset...and shit Im getting hyped..cant wait to hear shit like severed hand at msg and hopefully some rare shit..I've got a feeling, or No way? :D
  • Options
    stickboy wrote:
    yo, pearljamlivedotcom is acting funny now..I cant even get it to connect to any of the shows anymore..Im pissed! so tonite I just popped on the gorge boxset...and shit Im getting hyped..cant wait to hear shit like severed hand at msg and hopefully some rare shit..I've got a feeling, or No way? :D
    it would be saWEET to hear BOTH of those!!!
    dude. last night a bunch of us were watching the werchter dvd and let me tell you.....it was freakin CRAZINESS!!! The boys were outstanding. They were all just on it and it made me wish tomorrow was showtime!!!!

• Options
    oh I feel u...the more and more live shows I been hearing I been getting more and more goosebumps getting closer..I cant fuckin wait!

and staying on topic...anyone sitting next or around stick is liable to get barked on...so please...just, dont...ok? sit at home, with your nice computer and your 600 inch mega plasma HD TV and watch live pearl jam all day..just not AT the show. Thank you for your consideration again :)
  • Options
    stickboy wrote:
    sit at home, with your nice computer and your 600 inch mega plasma HD TV and watch live pearl jam all day..just not AT the show. Thank you for your consideration again :)
    thats a shirt right there!!! :D

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    thats a shirt right there!!! :D
    on the back? with the image of Ed doin the WAH in the front? lol
    :D
  • Options
    stickboy wrote:
    on the back? with the image of Ed doin the WAH in the front? lol
    :D
    HELLLLLLL YEAH!!!!! or of The Master POINTING strait out!

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    HELLLLLLL YEAH!!!!! or of The Master POINTING strait out!
    I'm with that too... I need me a McCready shirt..I was a fool, cause that nite during Leash one of those Mike pic shirts came flying at me from somewhere and tapers boy grabs it and throws it towards the stage, I was like FUCK! He goes..Oh u wanted it?

nvm... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    Not only will I stand but I shall dance like a lunitic whilst screaming along. If you want to sit, go see a mellow band.
    Ive been complained at and I just ignore them, I pay good money for my ticket. And i wait years for the experience
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE