Options

Ok, I need to hear what someone else thinks about this...

HailHailLeathermanHailHailLeatherman Posts: 126
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Ok flame on (or kick me off the freaking board again which was justified since I was completely out of line), but I was just looking up some stuff on youtube and somebody posted something from an Eddie solo show at Wiltern (looked like it was from a camera phone) and I get this message..

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Pearl Jam Ten Club"

I know he he instated some big policy on recording (that whole joke is for different thread), but what is 10C doing getting involved???

***Please just don't question my loyalty to the almighty 10C, I appreciate all they do and think there super groovy, just kind of taken back when I see them getting involved in stuff like this.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    not sure, though they were involved enough to sell tickets, right?
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    The band respects us as fans to provide opportunity for great seats, xmas albums, bootlegs and dvd's from all kinds of shows....

and

then makes it clear that on the EV shows, taping, recording, or snapping isn't allowed. Shouldn't we respect EV and 10c and honor their request?

I'm a bit surprised to read posts elsewhere that the band is 'selling out' (are you kidding?) and that times must be a-changin'. Ridiculous.

Dudes... abide.

This is IMO the greatest band and frontman in the history of rock, and they have given more to their fans than any band in history.

Eddie ties the world together.

Respect the man by not pissing on his rug, taping it, and putting it out on the Tube man...
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    cbh1011 wrote:
    The band respects us as fans to provide opportunity for great seats, xmas albums, bootlegs and dvd's from all kinds of shows....

and

then makes it clear that on the EV shows, taping, recording, or snapping isn't allowed. Shouldn't we respect EV and 10c and honor their request?

I'm a bit surprised to read posts elsewhere that the band is 'selling out' (are you kidding?) and that times must be a-changin'. Ridiculous.

Dudes... abide.

This is IMO the greatest band and frontman in the history of rock, and they have given more to their fans than any band in history.

Respect the man by not pissing on his rug, taping it, and putting it out on the Tube man...

Thank you.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Matty Joe, if I read your signature correctly, it looks like you're headed to your first shows?

Enjoy.... and prep yourself for a run of fun, intensity, and emotion you will never forget.

See you at Camden and the Garden...

B
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Ok flame on (or kick me off the freaking board again which was justified since I was completely out of line), but I was just looking up some stuff on youtube and somebody posted something from an Eddie solo show at Wiltern (looked like it was from a camera phone) and I get this message..

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Pearl Jam Ten Club"

I know he he instated some big policy on recording (that whole joke is for different thread), but what is 10C doing getting involved???

***Please just don't question my loyalty to the almighty 10C, I appreciate all they do and think there super groovy, just kind of taken back when I see them getting involved in stuff like this.

Well it is called the Pearl Jam 10C and Ed is the front man of Pearl Jam so .. I would assume they have the right to act in behalf of the band and its individual members.. that's just a wild guess though :rolleyes:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    I know who do they think they are this pearl jam ten club, policing promising solo acts, and taking their videos down.
    I seriously think it is a conspiracy for them to regain their mainstream status. I mean isnt this the band that sued tickmaster, and stoped making videos. Now this. Whats next, slashing tour bus tires.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    cbh1011 wrote:

and

Dudes... abide.

Ok, I get the hard core "this band will never do wrong" opinion but this one I had to respond to. Yes this band has given a lot to it's fans with great music and shows. However, we have also given a lot to this band. This band started out just like any other, just another bunch of guys making music and scrapping to get by. They reached an audience and touched a lot of people, who in turn invested a great deal of time and money back into the band.

A lot of people who still invest a great deal of time and money back into the band allow them to live a pretty great lifestyle. I don't remeber any free shows or free albums released. This band has been able to live there lifestyle because of our time and money.

I am not naieve and understand that is what a business dose, but don't come out here then and cry about a man and his art and all that stuff. Basically, just looks like it is about money.

This was most likely a fan who wanted to share what they witnessed and it was taken down by a fan club. I just think it is shady but that is soley my opinion.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Well, Ed asked that this not happen at his shows, and since they are his shows, and not ours, it is his right not to have them published or whatever. We pay money to see him play, not put stuff all over the place. There are a lot of PJ live videos all over the place, as well as bootlegs, and they are not removed. Don't understand why some people can not respect his wishes and not put them up in the internet.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Ok, I get the hard core "this band will never do wrong" opinion but this one I had to respond to. Yes this band has given a lot to it's fans with great music and shows. However, we have also given a lot to this band. This band started out just like any other, just another bunch of guys making music and scrapping to get by. They reached an audience and touched a lot of people, who in turn invested a great deal of time and money back into the band.

A lot of people who still invest a great deal of time and money back into the band allow them to live a pretty great lifestyle. I don't remeber any free shows or free albums released. This band has been able to live there lifestyle because of our time and money.

I am not naieve and understand that is what a business dose, but don't come out here then and cry about a man and his art and all that stuff. Basically, just looks like it is about money.

This was most likely a fan who wanted to share what they witnessed and it was taken down by a fan club. I just think it is shady but that is soley my opinion.

But in music this happens, its part of the game, its like in football, only 1 team wins the super bowl a year, we have to live with it. pj does alot, its hard to get mad and all worked up about silly stuff, I say it all the time, I love soundgarden, still listen to them daily, they dont tour, they have no dvds, and i dont get up and let it ruin my day.

no more shows
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036

they have done free shows in the past! and I think MOTH was free to download :p
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    oops :o burst a bubble.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    i applaud you for the effort but that made no sense at all to what the OP posted. :p

:confuse: superbowl, football? pearl jam does what alot? soudgarden?

You guys have to come down from your high horse and remeber we are allowed to speak out of pearl jam standards.
    so go applaud yourself for being an elitist.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

he commented in the first line on how we say pearl jam does no wrong

he is complaining on how the fans deserve things in return

I compared football, as to life is not perfect so why should pearl jam be

i comparred soundgarden as a band that does nothing for its fans

but still people enjoy listening to them

now if you dont understand this I trully apologize for my retardism.

honestly I try to enjoy this place but nowadays the standards are

never break character

we have to be coool at all times

no joking

no talking at shows

no smoking pot

and the ten club has to kiss everyones ass becasue we have been fans of the band for 20 years or whatever the fuck

sorry for the spaces in between but i figured my point may get made easier.

no more shows
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    cbh1011 wrote:

and

Dudes... abide.

agreed
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    To the original poster ... I can't believe you're bothered by this.

As others have said, we were asked not to record anything or take pics. A bunch of people decided not to respect that. (I was at the Santa Cruz and Berkley shows and there were cameras and camera phones everywhere.) They not only decided to say "fuck the rules" but then they posted the video on youtube. So the 10C (the band's official fan club) takes action to get the video removed ... and you don't understand that. WTF? Seriously ...

I'm not even sure you really wanted an answer to your question, "What is 10C doing getting involved?" I think you just wanted to bitch about 10C. Maybe I'm wrong ... but that's what I think, since you asked.
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    No recording means no recording... I thought they made the announcement simple enough in the release but maybe they should have written it in crayon and drawn pictures to illustrate the point.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329

PJ could have retired (and lived comfortably) 10 years ago so it's safe to say that money isn't the only thing that keeps them together today.

The fact that some people feel entitled or like they don't have to follow the rules because they have seen 236 shows is kinda freaky. Why anyone is questioning the removal of any video is mind-boggling...

I wonder how much the taper enjoyed the show while being nervous about getting kicked out. I mean... what does that feel like?

Or by someone that wanted to show their cool-ness. --we weren't supposed to tape but I did anyway! See! See!
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    No recording means no recording... I thought they made the announcement simple enough in the release but maybe they should have written it in crayon and drawn pictures to illustrate the point.

dude you are funny

but very true

no more shows
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206

Okay, but (as fans) we don't own them, so we can't just run around and do what we want and continue to take. I don't understand where this idea of it somehow being about money came from (maybe I'm missing something) :S But seriously, I do have to liken it to "art" just as in many galleries you're not allowed to take photos, I can understand why someone wouldn't want pics taken and being recorded without their consent. Ed's music is his art and his image (self) is his own. Don't you ever try and weasle out of a photo someone's trying to take cause you don't feel like having your pic taken? Imagine that multiplied exponentially. It would drive me absolutely bonkers. Personally, I never take cameras to gigs cause I want to enjoy and live the experience and not witness it through a lens.

When PJ toured Oz in '95 no recording equipment or cameras were allowed in the venues, this was a general rule at all concerts in Australia but it's possible that PJ supported it cause at the time Ed didn't want his pic taken by anybody. With that still in mind, when I kinda met Ed last year outside the Body of War premiere, I didn't take his pic because I didn't get into a position to be able to ask him if he would mind. People were snapping but I just won't take someone's picture unless they've told me I can. Just as when I met Jeff and Mike in '95, there were a bunch of fans and no-one took a pic until they gave their permission. Jeff said yes and Mike said no, everyone respected that. I wouldn't walk up to a random stranger and take their pic without asking, so why would I react differently to PJ? I did take video and pics inside the theatre after Body of War finished, but we were told we were allowed to and I took my flash off. As people have mentioned, the flashes were insane... so insane that Ed stopped playing and asked for people to stop. I also stopped after taking a couple (sans flash) because I wanted to pay attention to what he was saying and singing.

I don't think this current request is unreasonable in any way, shape or form. Respect his and 10c's wishes, it's as simple as that. Go along, enjoy the shows, soak up the atmosphere and take away your memories, that memory and feeling is never captured by a picture or a recording, IMO.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    To the original poster ... I can't believe you're bothered by this.

As others have said, we were asked not to record anything or take pics. A bunch of people decided not to respect that. (I was at the Santa Cruz and Berkley shows and there were cameras and camera phones everywhere.) They not only decided to say "fuck the rules" but then they posted the video on youtube. So the 10C (the band's official fan club) takes action to get the video removed ... and you don't understand that. WTF? Seriously ...

I'm not even sure you really wanted an answer to your question, "What is 10C doing getting involved?" I think you just wanted to bitch about 10C. Maybe I'm wrong ... but that's what I think, since you asked.

That's your opinion, but I understand though that no free thinking is to be had around here since any of it questions you and your allegiance to the almighty 10C. It was actually the responses that flipped the script on the thread and turned this into something else.

Not really bothered (not losing any sleep tonight), just thought it was shady and wanted to see what others thought about it. Kind of funny and ironic that a band and SOME of those who promote and support it have such conservative views on this subject when the bands politcal and social statements tend to lean the other way.
  • Options
    cbh1011 wrote:
    Matty Joe, if I read your signature correctly, it looks like you're headed to your first shows?

Enjoy.... and prep yourself for a run of fun, intensity, and emotion you will never forget.

See you at Camden and the Garden...

B

Yeah man I'm excited. Can't fucking wait,
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    That's your opinion, but I understand though that no free thinking is to be had around here since any of it questions you and your allegiance to the almighty 10C. It was actually the responses that flipped the script on the thread and turned this into something else.

Not really bothered (not losing any sleep tonight), just thought it was shady and wanted to see what others thought about it. Kind of funny and ironic that a band and SOME of those who promote and support it have such conservative views on this subject when the bands politcal and social statements tend to lean the other way.

i'm still not following you. and i'm not trying to break your balls, especially since you really do seem to feel strongly and honestly seem to be trying to express something.

i don't understand how the 10C yanking a video from youtube equates to the band or its representatives not supporting your right to free thinking or free speech.
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    Well for one thing some anti-bootlegging bands don't even take down crappy fan videos from youtube. They must really not want any bootlegging of any kind for whatever reason.
    -Reagan
  • Options

honestly I try to enjoy this place but nowadays the standards are

never break character

we have to be coool at all times

no joking

no talking at shows

no smoking pot

and the ten club has to kiss everyones ass becasue we have been fans of the band for 20 years or whatever the fuck

sorry for the spaces in between but i figured my point may get made easier.

Thanks for the rules, I was wondering why everything seemed weird here:) Everyone should read these new rules :) lol
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    cbh1011 wrote:

and

Dudes... abide.

BUMPITY BUMP
    Peace
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    my guess is that they are getting more aggressive about the tube to discourage people from recording in the first place.

If you cant post it, you might not bother recording it

I guess.

Of course, there is always the theory that its being recorded for a DVD and thats when we wil get to see it.

They have always been pretty cool about posting vids, but I guess the phones are now such a nusiance that they have to hit from both ends.
  • Options
    lbc72 wrote:
    I agree with every written word...Nice fucking post. EV/PJ rules and I play by their rules. He and the band owe us nothing. So it's all in bonus round now:D

Thanks, and agreed... after a lot of ins, outs, and what-have-you's... it does feel like a continuous bonus round, doesn't it?

(Let's turn this thread into some fun..... 50 bonus 10C points for first person to come up with the movie I'm referencing in this post and earlier posts on this thread!!)
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Yeah man I'm excited. Can't fucking wait,

Plan to hit a pre-party... they are tons of fun prior to the shows.... a group of strangers converge on some unsuspecting bar, take over their sound system, empty them of beer.... and have a awesome time.
  • Options
    Tone wrote:
    I can understand why someone wouldn't want pics taken and being recorded without their consent. Ed's music is his art and his image (self) is his own. Don't you ever try and weasle out of a photo someone's trying to take cause you don't feel like having your pic taken? Imagine that multiplied exponentially. It would drive me absolutely bonkers. ....

With that still in mind, when I kinda met Ed last year outside the Body of War premiere, I didn't take his pic because I didn't get into a position to be able to ask him if he would mind. People were snapping but I just won't take someone's picture unless they've told me I can. Just as when I met Jeff and Mike in '95, there were a bunch of fans and no-one took a pic until they gave their permission. Jeff said yes and Mike said no, everyone respected that. I wouldn't walk up to a random stranger and take their pic without asking, so why would I react differently to PJ?

Great post here. To this point perhaps of respecting the request to not tape/photo.... it seems that whenever you hear of fans encounters with EV after a show (i.e read the fanviews) his walking guards seem to have been fairly consistent about 'no photos'.... and it's great that the fans seem to comply, and EV sits there and signs autos, etc. It keeps the true fans separate and distinct from the pappa-nazi.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Its not a matter of loyalty to the 10c/PJ. For some reason, they want to protect their copywritten property.

Anyone who has been generous in the past has the full perogative to pull back when they so desire.

Gravy trains dry up all of the time.