My clownfish is having a really tough night - video attached

MSnider44MSnider44 Posts: 746
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
This is kind of sad - warning - somewhat disturbing video: my clownfish is getting ready to die (I think), and my feeder shrimp is trying to take full advantage of this by picking on him while Clownie is either dying or sleeping (probably getting ready to die). Should I flush Cownie now (humanely), or let Shrimp pick at him while he's dying (or maybe sleeping), but probably dying? Tough night for me as well tonight......

Video (in high def to get the details):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nupM0GlGmh0
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    :( Well, you hate to witness it, but it is the cycle of life. Did Clownie make it through the night? Did it end up being shrimp food or did you euthanise it?
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • hanjennihanjenni Posts: 174
    :( i can't watch youtube at work, so i couldn't see the details, but i am sorry if your fish is sick/dying/getting picked at at the same time. how did things go overnight?
    "How I choose to feel,... Is how I am."

after 20 years of waiting: EV Fox Theatre Detroit-6/26/11;Alpine Valley-9/3/11 & 9/4/11;Toronto-9/11/11;Music Midtown-8/22/12;London, Ontario-7/16/13;Wrigley Field, Chicago-7/19/13
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    If Clowny is still around, separate him from the shrimp. Transfer some water in a big bowl with a lil bit of gravel and see if Clowny fares any better. If not, he will have a more peaceful last moments...
  • MSnider44MSnider44 Posts: 746
    Still alive as of 12:25pm PST. But it looks like he's barely holding on. Just kind of resting and sleeping at the bottom of the tank. If I separate him into another bowl, he won't have filtration and/or oxygenation. Maybe I'll do a water change, but I can't bring myself to flush him if he's still managing to hang on....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    please don't flush Clownie...he'd go into shock and suffer more, then die. Would you like to be thrust into a huge vat of fish waste to suffocate and then die? :?

either change the water (a bitch for saltwater I know) or put in a tank separator to keep the shrimp form torturing Clownie.

Are there any saltwater fish stores near you that you could talk to? They may have 'fish doctors'...there is an excellent fish store in my area, and they have experts that will try to nurse fish back to health.

good luck...hang in there Clownie!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Shrimp seems to be leaving him alone, so that's a good thing. But Clownie is still just resting in his new spot at the bottom. Gills and fins moving, but I think he knows it's his time and I'll just let it happen. Kind of like what dogs and birds do when they know - they just go somewhere and hide to rest and let it be done. Speaking of that, I have a 15 year old lab/mix and I know I'll have to deal with this on a much higher and sadder level pretty soon.....ugh.
    lost my 7 year old fish last spring(he did trick me once though...thought it was the end for sure, and he bounced back for a few more happy months. i guess hang on to hope, but prepare for him to move on, too, and just give him the best you can...), and my 14 year old cat last summer...warm wishes and thoughts for you, your dog, and clownie...

after 20 years of waiting: EV Fox Theatre Detroit-6/26/11;Alpine Valley-9/3/11 & 9/4/11;Toronto-9/11/11;Music Midtown-8/22/12;London, Ontario-7/16/13;Wrigley Field, Chicago-7/19/13
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I am so sorry to hear this. Pets are angels.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
    Clownie died today. Just found him. He had a good life for the time I had him.
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    MSnider44 wrote:
    Clownie died today. Just found him. He had a good life for the time I had him.

:( RIP Clownie
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Sorry about your loss.
    Always tough when our pets pass away, if only they had longer lifespans.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    so sorry...but it sounds like you cared for him well, and i am sure he was a content fishie with the life you gave him. <3

• capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    RIP Clownie

Fish are great, it's crazy how attached you can become to the little guys.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    RIP Clownie... :cry:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless