Work Out Routine

prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So I just started working out frequently about a month ago. I've lost about 10 pounds already and noticed slight toning in my arms and abs. I am eating healthier, but not always. Anyway I am feeling great and I must admit it is really helping with some of my anxiety and depression issues.

I don't really follow a specific routine, but there are constants to it. I try to vary as much as possible so I retain interest and don't become 'programmed' to do certain exercises.

Days worked out per week: 4-5 days per week. The days I do not go to the gym are typically the same every week due to other activities I have scheduled.

Time spent at gym: 45-90 minutes. This is always different, a lot of external factors play into why. The only time it is less than 45 minutes of a workout is if I feel pain or sickness.

Time of day: Varies. During the week I go after work, but the time can range anywhere from 6pm - 10pm (start time). On weekends I will try to go in the mornings, again the time has a wide range.

Before work out meal: Varies. I try to eat something small to give myself some extra energy, but I have heard this may cause problems. I have noticed my stomach turning (while jogging/running on the treadmill) if I've eaten too much, but aside from that I have no issues. What I eat is usually fruits or vegetables. Sometimes I'll have a sandwich (usually egg). I also drink a glass of milk.

Work Out Pt 1: Treadmill. Every time I go to the gym I always start on the treadmill. I feel it is the best machine to warm up my entire body, plus it is my favorite so naturally I'm drawn to it first. However, it is never the same walk/jog/run. I walk at a normal speed for a minute or two, then I come up with a 'route' right on the spot (steep incline, level ground, hills, combination, etc.) and pick a random speed to move (which also varies up and down throughout the duration). The distance I go or the time I spend on the treadmill both vary daily. When I'm satisfied I do a cool off for a few minutes.

Work Out Pt 2: Machines. This varies every time I work out. The only real consistent thing is the amount of weight I lift at each machine (but I increase it when I feel the challenge is gone). Here I also make up a routine on the spot (focus on: legs, arms, core, combination, etc.). I twist the whole rep concept by randomly selecting how many reps and the quantity per rep on the spot. For example, instead of doing 3 reps of 10, I will do 1 rep of 9, 1 rep of 13, 2 reps of 10, and 1 rep of 9; or 2 reps of 21, 1 rep of 18, and 1 rep of 19. Again those numbers are randomly picked and vary across machines.

After work out meal: Meat/Protein, Pasta. Occassionally I will switch that out with some food group I missed that day, but especially after working out I am hungry for meat of some sort, and I think pasta goes well with most meats. I also have more milk.

So that is what I have been doing and I was wondering if I should change anything? I drink water all day at work and before/during/after my work out. My intentions are to avoid poor performance and results. My goal is to be healthier and fit. I feel like I am doing things right, but I am honestly making things up as I go.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I understand that the best time to burn the most calories, is in the a.m. on an empty stomach (of course, not for diabetics.) Remember to stop if you feel light headed or dizzy. If the tread mill makes you feel queasy, you might want to stay on for less time and build up (that's what somebody told me on here a while back. she said I was not used to the motion.)

have you researched any of this in a magazine? also you are supposed to check with your doctor before starting any exercise regimen.

it sounds like you are really trying hard. :) I wish I could be so disciplined.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I wrote on my friend's facebook wall:

If you run 2xs as much as you had planned, I can skip running for the day :lol:

That's how I'm dealing with the stress of thinking about exercising.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    if I could stay away from candy machine, I could pass for cindy crawford! ;)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    iluvcats wrote:
    I understand that the best time to burn the most calories, is in the a.m. on an empty stomach (of course, not for diabetics.) Remember to stop if you feel light headed or dizzy. If the tread mill makes you feel queasy, you might want to stay on for less time and build up (that's what somebody told me on here a while back. she said I was not used to the motion.)

have you researched any of this in a magazine? also you are supposed to check with your doctor before starting any exercise regimen.

it sounds like you are really trying hard. :) I wish I could be so disciplined.
    I will try it on an empty stomach one morning and see what it's like. I feel like I'm going about my routine very casually but I do have a good mentality towards working out so that really helps.

I've read things here and there in articles, but nothing much. Never thought to check with my doctor since there's no inexplicable pain or side effects. I pay close attention to what muscles I am using when on the machines. Used to unintentionally use my back for everything but I stopped that.
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

Sometimes you have to skip a day or two.
    iluvcats wrote:
    I still eat candy and bad sweets, I just limit myself which is challenging some days.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    If you see a trainer at the gym, ask them to critique you on your form/technique-this is free (or just ask the front desk if you can have a trainer help you with your form)

switch to whole wheat pasta-make the change gradually part regular, and part whole wheat. Your body has to work harder to process the whole wheat pasta, and it's got a lot of the essential fiber you need

up fiber, not protein-you need 25 grams of fiber EVERY day, look at nutrition labels, you'll see there is hardly any fiber in processed products.

Glad to see you are switching up your routine, your body needs this because it becomes used to a certain routine, and you need to 'confuse it'-head this is why P90X works so well
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I don't have much advice because I go about my work out routine fairly casually too but I LOVE to run so that's what I do most often.

I would suggest asking to meet with a trainer like RKCNDY mentioned for some tips, etc. When I joined the gym you got a free session for them to show you around and how to use the machines, etc. and then a free follow up session.

It's great that you're motivated to work out - keep it up!
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

Sometimes you have to skip a day or two.
    iluvcats wrote:
    I still eat candy and bad sweets, I just limit myself which is challenging some days.

you know me, dammit! you are supposed to say that I DO look like Cindy Crawford.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    edited June 2011
    I think the reason you are to check with your doctor before starting any exercise routine is in case you have a heart murmur. that's going by my own experience. I was rejected from working out at work b/c the dr heard a click in my heart. He said I had to have permission from my own dr to exercise at our gym at work.
    Post edited by iluvcats on
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    RKCNDY wrote:
    If you see a trainer at the gym, ask them to critique you on your form/technique-this is free (or just ask the front desk if you can have a trainer help you with your form)

switch to whole wheat pasta-make the change gradually part regular, and part whole wheat. Your body has to work harder to process the whole wheat pasta, and it's got a lot of the essential fiber you need

up fiber, not protein-you need 25 grams of fiber EVERY day, look at nutrition labels, you'll see there is hardly any fiber in processed products.

Glad to see you are switching up your routine, your body needs this because it becomes used to a certain routine, and you need to 'confuse it'-head this is why P90X works so well
    Never thought about talking to a trainer since I'm a do-it-yourself type person.

I will make the switch to whole wheat pasta. I think I'm getting a good amount of fiber judging from my digestive system. I'll see what more I can fit in--broccoli is one of my favorite veggies.

I think it's more fun to switch things up. The body confusion is an added bonus.
    RKCNDY wrote:

good advice. to the op -- see where she mentions hardly any fiber in processed products -- that includes Ben & Jerry's icecream. I read that icecream is constipating! ugh...
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    peacegirl wrote:
    I don't have much advice because I go about my work out routine fairly casually too but I LOVE to run so that's what I do most often.

I would suggest asking to meet with a trainer like RKCNDY mentioned for some tips, etc. When I joined the gym you got a free session for them to show you around and how to use the machines, etc. and then a free follow up session.

It's great that you're motivated to work out - keep it up!
    I will do this, and thanks!
    iluvcats wrote:
    you know me, dammit! you are supposed to say that I DO look like Cindy Crawford.
    You do look like her ;)
    iluvcats wrote:
    I think the reason you are to check with your doctor before starting any exercise routine is in case you have a heart murmur. that's going by my own experience. I was rejected from working out at work b/c the dr heard a click in my heart. He said I had to have permission from my own dr to exercise at our gym at work.
    Next time I see him I'll tell him about my newfound physical fitness.
    iluvcats wrote:
    [ood advice. to the op -- see where she mentions hardly any fiber in processed products -- that includes Ben & Jerry's icecream. I read that icecream is constipating! ugh...
    I will not stop eating B&J ice cream :)
    Thanks for saying I look like her even though I don't, lol...

I got a new recumbent exercise bike last year and the seat is really comfy but the pedal squeaks. I like to watch movies or PJ videos when I use it. The pedal is annoying.

I'm proud of you, it seems like you are very motivated.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    Thanks for saying I look like her even though I don't, lol...

I got a new recumbent exercise bike last year and the seat is really comfy but the pedal squeaks. I like to watch movies or PJ videos when I use it. The pedal is annoying.

I'm proud of you, it seems like you are very motivated.
    Thanks!

And Even Flow is such a good song to run to. So I RVM! Can you change the pedal or tighten something so it stops squeaking?
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    The best time to workout is first thing in the morning. You should eat a little bit of something- best if its protein- in order to wake up your metabolism. When you sleep your enire body sleeps- including your metabolism, and it won't wake up until you eat something. Even a spoonful of peanut butter is enough. The two hours after your workout is when your body is most efficient. It is best to eat your biggest meal of the day during this time. Lean protein, whole grains and lots of veggies.

...I wouldn't stress it too much. If you are working out anytime and eating healthy then good for you!
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    The best time to workout is first thing in the morning. You should eat a little bit of something- best if its protein- in order to wake up your metabolism. When you sleep your enire body sleeps- including your metabolism, and it won't wake up until you eat something. Even a spoonful of peanut butter is enough. The two hours after your workout is when your body is most efficient. It is best to eat your biggest meal of the day during this time. Lean protein, whole grains and lots of veggies.

...I wouldn't stress it too much. If you are working out anytime and eating healthy then good for you!
    I have not been able to drag myself out of bed during the week. I do think I like it better when I do not have anywhere to be. I don't feel rushed. Good tips on the food too, thanks!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    extensive swims and other aquatic tricks
    weights thrown around
    machines moved

two different pools
    one has jet swim thingy
    the other is for mileage

solid as shit
    happiest i been in a long while
    only getting better
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    extensive swims and other aquatic tricks
    weights thrown around
    machines moved

two different pools
    one has jet swim thingy
    the other is for mileage

solid as shit
    happiest i been in a long while
    only getting better
    I wish my gym had a pool. This time of year it's so much fun to swim.