Free Range Children.

genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

I have recently discovered this blogging site. I am a parent that wants thier kid to do the things I did when I was a child. Though we live outside of the city and she cant walk to the corner store by herself or even to her school, I want her to play outside by herself and be able to walk to her friends houses.

I do have friends though that are very afraid of thier kids being abducted, raped, killed and hurt. I feel like some of them hover way too much. And yet one of them has a child who broke his arm on a trampoline because she let too many kids on at a time. And too many big kids.

Am I crazy for wanting my daughter to feel comfortable playing by herself outside on our small acre of land. She knows not to go on the road. I do have neighbours that wont let thier kids be outside by themselves though.

Are we teaching our kids to be afraid to go out of the house?
the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NarcisoNarciso Posts: 194
    yes
    Slipped on a curb in the road.
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Oh my dear Lord YES!
    I have a beautiful green space 100 yards
    from my house; playground, soccer pitch,
    ball diamond, bball court.
    My gf's 13 year old daughter refuses
    to play there;
    she fears abduction, murder, bullies, big dogs,
    take your pick of (ir)rational fears.
    We are taking the dirt-in-your-teeth,
    grass-stained-blue-jeans,
    tree-climbing instincts
    away from the kids.
    It sucks!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,387
    This is ridiculous. There aren't any more of those horrible things happening now than there were when we were kids and our parents were kids, etc. Just more coverage and more paranoia.

My boy is only 8 months, but we deliberately moved to a neighborhood with sidewalks and things that kids can walk to, so he is going to be free ranger. 8-) After a few years at least.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • paysonitespaysonites Posts: 1,150
    You should be proud that you care that much for your child. On the other hand for us at least freedom comes in groups. The more people the more support, eyes and strength.
    John and Shawna
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    when i was a kid i had to go outside and play, didn't have a choice. if the sun was up, the tv was off and we weren't allowed to sit in the house. that was the rule.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    you are definitely not wrong in wanting the free existence you had as a child ... the question is whether or not that is possible these days ... :(
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,387
    polaris_x wrote:
    you are definitely not wrong in wanting the free existence you had as a child ... the question is whether or not that is possible these days ... :(

This is what I'm talking about. What is so different about "these days?" Stats prove it's all in media coverage and general paranoia. There's nothing more dangerous about being outside playing that there was 20 or 40 years ago.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    kids outside are where they should be, in the mud, the woods and in ponds chasing after frogs and turtles.
    kids carry sticks, rocks, toads, raspberries, and bb guns or shotguns and rifles. kids always have knives and homemade weapons too.

example...

the tin lids cut off cans can be tooled into throwing stars

nobody kidnapped us... :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

i do remember the ole' man going after some dude who drove a red f150 pickup
    this dude tried abducting me and my friend who walked with me to and from school... we were in 1st grade

freak-show would have been pumped full of lead if caught
    dad called the police and told them what had happened on our walk home from school
    as he was loading up his gun

this weirdo kept circling asking if we needed a ride... he asked a few times

hopefully he died soon after that day...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    polaris_x wrote:

This is what I'm talking about. What is so different about "these days?" Stats prove it's all in media coverage and general paranoia. There's nothing more dangerous about being outside playing that there was 20 or 40 years ago.

i didn't say it was more or less dangerous ... i only say that is the question ... it is most definite that paranoia amongst parents is much higher ... whether that is based on reality is secondary to the fact that it exists ... so, in one hand it's sad if it exists because of some decrease in safety and secondly if there isn't such decrease, it's subsequently equally sad that we think there is ...
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    Oh my dear Lord YES!
    I have a beautiful green space 100 yards
    from my house; playground, soccer pitch,
    ball diamond, bball court.
    My gf's 13 year old daughter refuses
    to play there;
    she fears abduction, murder, bullies, big dogs,
    take your pick of (ir)rational fears.
    We are taking the dirt-in-your-teeth,
    grass-stained-blue-jeans,
    tree-climbing instincts
    away from the kids.
    It sucks!
    Cheers.
    SOOOOOOOOO True, I grew up in the mountains and on non-school days we kids were gone from sun-up to sun-down ALLLLLLLLLLL the time; in between check-in times of course! Nowadays, you hear kids are terrified of things to the point where they hardly go play anymore..There's reason to be pre-cautious,But not to the point where it stunts the childrens' ability to enjoy the freedom of the great outdoors..
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    all my children were/are free range children.. especially the boychild. in fact this friday hes facing what i consider his biggest 'test' as a member of the community. hes catching the train into the city to see a band. hell be with friends and i will expect a call from him when he gets to the venue. hes 14 and i remember that being the age my parents started letting me roam citywide.

i have never had any qualms about allowing my children the freedom to sort out their own safety parameters. i also wonder where all the paedophiles were when i was growing up cause there sure as hell seems to be a lot of them around these days.. were they more sneakier or in the closet more or are we, as i suspect, freaking ourselves out to a degree that is unnecessary cause fear makes us easier to control??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    That's just a way to jack up the menu price.

Oh...

nevermind
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
    This is ridiculous. There aren't any more of those horrible things happening now than there were when we were kids and our parents were kids, etc. Just more coverage and more paranoia.

I really hope you are right about this... but I don't know. I grew up in the S.F. bay area in the 50's and it really did seem things sere a lot more safe then. We used to roam all over the place-- and that was good for us! My nephews, who I helped raise did too, but that was when we were living in rural Washington State in the 90's, so maybe it just depends are where you are.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    conman wrote:
    when i was a kid i had to go outside and play, didn't have a choice. if the sun was up, the tv was off and we weren't allowed to sit in the house. that was the rule.

You would be gone and your parents might not know EXACTLY where you were and you survived. We played outside all the time and it seems like kids would rather be inside playing video games etc.
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Yes the kids are wanting to stay inside all day. From some of the articles/blog posts on the site I listed there are parents that say thier kids dont want to go to the park or out on to the street to play cause they dont see any other kids out there. If they would all just go out and play in the front yard they would meet the other kids!

When I was a kid I was outside all day and all the kids were too. We only had to throw on our shoes and walk out the front door to find all our freinds out there. I can to this day remember going to bed in the summer when I was younger than most pissed off all to hell cause it was bright out and I could hear all the kids playing street hockey and I was in bed. In fact it wasnt long after that that I was allowed to be out later. And our whole neighbourhood would sometimes play flashlight hide and go seek in the dark along all our front yards. We never had any issues.

Today my daughter helped me plant the rest of our flower seeds and then made homes for earthowrms while I mowed the lawn. I thought for a moment when I was done that she had gone inside cause I couldnt see her anywhere. Turns out she had made herself a picnic by her play structure with snacks from the cupboard and some stuffies. I mean jeeze shes only 5. And this is not that shes some super genius kid. She just would rather eat her snack outside on a blanket than in front of the TV. And I tell ya I leave our TV on. Its on all day. Its on kids progamming too. Cause I dont really trust the other channels. But she was outside until the sun was practically melting her.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...