need some directionor suggestion....

mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,969
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Long story short. I've moved in with my love. So did my dog. My dog Cleo is terrorizing her cats.

My S.O. has 3 cats that she needs to get to a good home/place, but none seem available( she had already planned to do this for other reasons than my dog). Hate to turn them loose as they are indoor cats. Also the only option readily available seems to be the pound, if we do that , they are going to be put down. No question there.

Any idea at all where we can look at? In terms of no kill shelters/adoption centers etc...?

Sooner the better for the cats sake.

Thanks.
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    What state do you live in? If you live in North East there are no kill shelters around.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    My first question is how long has it been? They all may work it out. Maybe there's a way you can separate them for some time? ie. give the cats a safe space to get to? While I've never had to meld a dog and cat household, we've taken in quite a few new cats (now have 6) and at first when the new one comes in, the others hiss at it, it hisses back, maybe some fur flies, but we keep an eye on things, and everyone finally settles down and sorts out their place in the hierarchy. If it hasn't been that long, like just a few days, maybe you should try to give it a little more time, if you don't really want to get rid of them.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    JaneNY wrote:
    My first question is how long has it been? They all may work it out. Maybe there's a way you can separate them for some time? ie. give the cats a safe space to get to? While I've never had to meld a dog and cat household, we've taken in quite a few new cats (now have 6) and at first when the new one comes in, the others hiss at it, it hisses back, maybe some fur flies, but we keep an eye on things, and everyone finally settles down and sorts out their place in the hierarchy. If it hasn't been that long, like just a few days, maybe you should try to give it a little more time, if you don't really want to get rid of them.

I agree with you, but he said "she had already planned to do this for other reasons than my dog". We adopted my neighbors cat we have a dog and 3 other cats, well 4 at the time one has since passed, but the "new" cat lives in the basement and comes up during the day. He didn't get along with the dog that much but slowly he's come around.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    it depends on where you live. here is the history of my kitten I bought from Petsmart in a city in MD outside of DC. First, he was at a high kill shelter in the southwestern part of VA. He was rescued by Last Chance Animal Shelter volunteers in Waldorf, MD. Not sure how long he was there since petsmart claimed he was 2 months old when I bought him. Last Chance obtains animals from 5 states and takes them to petsmart. I do not know how long PM will hold onto them. They charged me $130 for my kitten, not sure how much they would charge people for an older cat.

Good luck. You said you would hate to turn indoor cats lose. They could get attacked by a coyote besides hit by a car or starve to death :(
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Hate to turn them loose as they are indoor cats.

:shock: That was an option?!?! :o

Unless dire necessity (eg death of owner, etc....), it's cruel giving three cats that have had a home to a shelter where they may or may not be killed, may or may not be rehomed and, until the time they are, live in a cramped cage with no 'creature comforts', etc. Why have pets if it's to get rid of them when they become 'inconvenient'? Unless, of course, there is a medical reason for this (developped allergies). Will the dog eventually become inconvenient too?

If it's a question of the dog and the cats, they will get used to each other.

I would say you/your girlfriend must find a good, loving home for them. Not a shelter, not 'let loose'.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Sorry to hear of your problems mickey

When I met Mr RK, we each had our own cat
    when we moved in together, he told me he wanted a dog
    when we bought a house, we got a dog and the cats hated it
    they started destroying the house, and acting out
    I tried finding new homes for them, but nobody wanted them.
    Both cats kept running for the door every time we opened it, so I let them stay outside-they are outside kitties now.
    They're pretty happy out there. We still feed them, and they hang around the house.

there are no-kill shelters you can take them to...(google 'no kill shelter (your city/state)the shelters will ask for a donation to help with vet bills (vaccinations, check-up, de-worming etc) the donation is 'whatever you can give' but realistically, they want between $25-75 PER cat.

if the cats are de-clawed, PLEASE do NOT turn them lose or let them become 'outside kitties', they cannot defend themselves. Just be aware that outside kitties are more likely to get into fights, get infections, abscesses, etc-I've seen some pretty gnarly chewed up kitties that thought they were tough.

No friends/family members that can take in a kitty or two?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    cats are somethin else
    i tried saving these two wild ass cats that i been feeding since back in washington
    i moved them with me... worked out great

i moved again since i been here in iowa. one came with. the other did not enjoy being picked up the several times i tried bringing her alone.
    that fucker tore me apart.
    hands, arms all ate up and scratched to shit
    blood everywhere

scars now... a lump of skin used to be my arm where it bends.(in that elbow thingy but on the other side) :|

wild ass kitty will be fine
    plenty of farms out there
    she'll be eating mice, birds (and catfood if she gets fed by some rural resident)

the other came along just fine... her name is fang-face
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,969
    redrock wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Hate to turn them loose as they are indoor cats.

:shock: That was an option?!?! :o

Unless dire necessity (eg death of owner, etc....), it's cruel giving three cats that have had a home to a shelter where they may or may not be killed, may or may not be rehomed and, until the time they are, live in a cramped cage with no 'creature comforts', etc. Why have pets if it's to get rid of them when they become 'inconvenient'? Unless, of course, there is a medical reason for this (developped allergies). Will the dog eventually become inconvenient too?

If it's a question of the dog and the cats, they will get used to each other.

I would say you/your girlfriend must find a good, loving home for them. Not a shelter, not 'let loose'.
    Her son has devoloped allergies , and my dog seems intent on causing harm.

Every place we have called is NOT accepting any cats at this time. 6 months or more for wait list. The ONLY place that will take them is the pound. This may be a stretch , but I think they have more of a chance outdoors than at kill em if you got them county shelter.

So yes, turning them loose IS an option. The last option.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,013
    Have you tried a local rescue group?

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters.html
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,969
    Sea wrote:
    Have you tried a local rescue group?

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters.html
    Thank you very much Sea. most helpful. wish US and THEM luck.

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    hey micky wanna help me catch a cat?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    some animal rescue places temporarily put unwanted pets in foster homes.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Her son has devoloped allergies

Before you move in with her, I would suggest her son gets tested to see if he has allergic reactions to dogs. Whilst being allergic to cats doesn't automatically mean he will be allergic to dogs, there is a good chance. Even if it's 'latent' now (ie doesn't show any signs of allergies when close to dog), prolonged contact could be a trigger.

mickeyrat wrote:

A full time indoor cat used to being cared for is not equipped for a 'feral' life and it will most certainly suffer and propably die/get killed. It's cruel to abadon it that way.

Not sure where you live but in a lot of States, this is considered abandonment and is a criminal offense. Eg Virginia code:
    V
    a. Code Ann. § 3.1-796.122 (2008) – Cruelty to animals, penalty

A. Any person who (i) overrides, overdrives, overloads, tortures, ill-treats, abandons, willfully inflicts inhumane injury or pain not connected with bona fide scientific or medical experimentation, or cruelly or unnecessarily beats, maims, mutilates, or kills any animal, whether belonging to himself or another; (ii) deprives any animal of necessary food, drink, shelter or emergency veterinary treatment; (iii) sores any equine for any purpose or administers drugs or medications to alter or mask such soring for the purpose of sale, show, or exhibition of any kind, unless such administration of drugs or medications is within the context of a veterinary client-patient relationship and solely for therapeutic purposes; (iv) willfully sets on foot, instigates, engages in, or in any way furthers any act of cruelty to any animal; (v) carries or causes to be carried in or upon any vehicle, vessel or otherwise any animal in a cruel, brutal, or inhumane manner, so as to produce torture or unnecessary suffering; or (vi) causes any of the above things, or being the owner of such animal permits such acts to be done by another, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor

Sorry about being so harsh with you on this but I worked with an animal shelter and day in, day out, I saw pets (cats) that were abadonned in the way you mention is an option for you ('let loose'). They came in sick, starving, broken limbs, infected wounds, etc. You can see the distress and suffering in their eyes.... Those cats stay traumatised. As much as I don't want to say this, if you REALLY can't rehome them (proper home or good shelter which will rehome or foster out) you are better off taking the cats to the vet and having them put to sleep and not letting them loose. They will suffer a lot less.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I hate cats less then i hate dogs right enough... although in my new abode there was a spate of one shitting in my back garden.. i say 'was' ... its dead now. But i did make it a wee headstone.. out of its own shit.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    I hate cats less then i hate dogs right enough... although in my new abode there was a spate of one shitting in my back garden.. i say 'was' ... its dead now. But i did make it a wee headstone.. out of its own shit.
    is this true?
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    is this true?
    Don't believe everything Dunk says! His bark is worse than his bite :mrgreen:
    redrock wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    is this true?

have you met him? have ye made the trip to scotland? ;)
    to the op, I asked my husband if we can have the cats and he said no. Ours is a hand full.
    I wish I could help.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    is this true?

to the op, I asked my husband if we can have the cats and he said no. Ours is a hand full.
    I wish I could help.

Oh yeah... I know Dunky! :mrgreen: Though I haven't been to the Scottish meet up, unfortunately.... but we've met up plenty a times :mrgreen: Next one August Dunk.. .you coming?
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    redrock wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Her son has devoloped allergies

Before you move in with her, I would suggest her son gets tested to see if he has allergic reactions to dogs. Whilst being allergic to cats doesn't automatically mean he will be allergic to dogs, there is a good chance. Even if it's 'latent' now (ie doesn't show any signs of allergies when close to dog), prolonged contact could be a trigger.

mickeyrat wrote:

A full time indoor cat used to being cared for is not equipped for a 'feral' life and it will most certainly suffer and propably die/get killed. It's cruel to abadon it that way.

Not sure where you live but in a lot of States, this is considered abandonment and is a criminal offense. Eg Virginia code:
    V
    a. Code Ann. § 3.1-796.122 (2008) – Cruelty to animals, penalty

A. Any person who (i) overrides, overdrives, overloads, tortures, ill-treats, abandons, willfully inflicts inhumane injury or pain not connected with bona fide scientific or medical experimentation, or cruelly or unnecessarily beats, maims, mutilates, or kills any animal, whether belonging to himself or another; (ii) deprives any animal of necessary food, drink, shelter or emergency veterinary treatment; (iii) sores any equine for any purpose or administers drugs or medications to alter or mask such soring for the purpose of sale, show, or exhibition of any kind, unless such administration of drugs or medications is within the context of a veterinary client-patient relationship and solely for therapeutic purposes; (iv) willfully sets on foot, instigates, engages in, or in any way furthers any act of cruelty to any animal; (v) carries or causes to be carried in or upon any vehicle, vessel or otherwise any animal in a cruel, brutal, or inhumane manner, so as to produce torture or unnecessary suffering; or (vi) causes any of the above things, or being the owner of such animal permits such acts to be done by another, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor

Sorry about being so harsh with you on this but I worked with an animal shelter and day in, day out, I saw pets (cats) that were abadonned in the way you mention is an option for you ('let loose'). They came in sick, starving, broken limbs, infected wounds, etc. You can see the distress and suffering in their eyes.... Those cats stay traumatised. As much as I don't want to say this, if you REALLY can't rehome them (proper home or good shelter which will rehome or foster out) you are better off taking the cats to the vet and having them put to sleep and not letting them loose. They will suffer a lot less.
    As an operator of my own animal rescue, I know this as well to be true, and have charged many peeps with it when I caught them dumping cats off in my neighborhood. So be wary.. for real.. this is NOT an option, try Craigslist instead, if you want to ensure a good home include a pic and charge a small "re-homing" fee. This is often, enough to ensure that the kitties are going to good forever homes. I wish I had room enough to help you out.. but where I'm at currently, I did good to get my Distemperfried kitty Tommy out here with me.. Good luck!!
    redrock wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    redrock wrote:

I wish I could help.

Oh yeah... I know Dunky! :mrgreen: Though I haven't been to the Scottish meet up, unfortunately.... but we've met up plenty a times :mrgreen: Next one August Dunk.. .you coming?

would love to but I'm busy burning frogs in August
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    iluvcats wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    is this true?

about 87% of it is true... the other 21% was given to me by my Maths teacher