Cars 2

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
so whats everyones opinion? im a little disappointed. I feel like their wasnt that emotional payoff that Pixar does so well and made the best movies of the last 3 consecutive years, in Wall-E, Up and Toy Story 3. Cars the original had that beautiful scene talking about the towns history and how it used to be this amazing place.

I hardly think its the downfall of Pixar as some have said. Their are many folks like myself who will see any movie the studio puts out until the end of time. Its a smart, innovative company that seems to care about making quality art in a world of disposible art. I also think it was inevitable. even some picassos and van gogh work arent considered great. plus, cars was their least successful film, so making a sequel out of it, is sort of a headscratcher, but the response from critics seems to agree with that

The visuals were stunning though. the scene in downtown tokyo was amazing with all the colors. very cool.

i happily await the next pixar film.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    As a mum of a 3 y.o boy Cars was the bestest movie ever (in his opinion - he would live in his Lightning McQueen PJ's if he could), so I'm sure when my hubby takes him next week they will both love it.

Many people seem to forget that these are childrens movies, kids don't care about the emotional stuff. I loved Wall-E, Up and the Toy Story trilogy but my kids were more excited about the Shrek movies, Kung-Fu Panda and the latest Barbie movie. Pixar definitely do make the most beautifully uplifting meaningful movies, but I think they lack the silliness of say Dreamworks. The one Pixar movie that both of my kids (3 & 6) love is Meet the Robinsons which has the outrageous out there story line.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    Saw it Sat. morning in 3d for $5, had a "coupon" It was ok. Def., not better than the first and one of the weaker of the Pixar movies. Some of the animation was done really well. Few chuckles here and there. :|

The Toy Story short at the beginning was pretty fun.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • I took my 4-year old boy to see it Friday and of course he loved it. I had read awful things so I went in expecting to not like it. It really isn't that bad but it's just a totally different type of film from the first. It's really all about Mater this time and if you're like me and can't stand Larry the Cable Guy, then that doesn't help things.
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392

The Toy Story short at the beginning was pretty fun.

Best bit of the movie.

My daughter didn't really like it cause lightning McQueen was barely in it. And she only likes lightning, she doesn't call it cars, she calls it lightning McQueen.

It also seemed too long for a kids movie, the cinema I was in was packed with kids and it reached a point where you could tell all the kids had lost interest and were acting up and doing other things.could have easily trimmed half our out of it. It was almost 2 hours.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • IrishGuyIrishGuy Posts: 258
    tinkerbell wrote:
    The one Pixar movie that both of my kids (3 & 6) love is Meet the Robinsons which has the outrageous out there story line.

Meet the Robinsons isn't a Pixar movie.
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Cars is by far the worst of the bunch. But it made a ton of merchandising money, and so we get a second version.

The best of their movies (Up, Wall E and Ratatouille) didn't sell anything.

Next year, It's Monsters Inc 2
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Cars is by far the worst of the bunch. But it made a ton of merchandising money, and so we get a second version.

There is a pixar film called brave coming out next year, then monsters Inc 2 in 2013.

Surely bugs life was their worst performing film??

And there is a shit ton of wall-e merchant there.

Edit: in terms of gross, toy story 1 was their worst, then bugs life then cars, and toy story 3 being their highest.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

It wasn't nearly as good as the original (and I've watch that one with PissBottleBoy at least 874 times), but it was mindless movie fun.

A little disappointed at how violent this movie was. My 4 year old asked us no less than 5 times if Lightening McQueen was going to be killed.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    IrishGuy wrote:
    tinkerbell wrote:
    The one Pixar movie that both of my kids (3 & 6) love is Meet the Robinsons which has the outrageous out there story line.

Meet the Robinsons isn't a Pixar movie.

Sorry no its not its Disney. My bad :)
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953

Monster's Inc.
    was their best movie.
    Toy Story 2 is 2nd,
    The Incredibles 3rd.
    Then again, I haven't seen
    Toy Story 3 or Cars 2 yet!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    if tom hanks is to be believed a toy story 4 is in development. i usually could care less about the idea, for example, you hear the idea of bowing out on top for atheletes, that very few have quit or retired at the height of their abilities and therefore play years and years where they are no longer dominant, and "harm" their legacy. usually i think those arguments are silly.

and while i will no doubt go see toy story 4, i really think they are doing a disservice to the trilogy to do a fourth one. I dont think you could possibly top Toy story 3. The ending was one of the best ive ever seen of any movie, animated or live action. One of the best endings ive ever seen.

wierd they;d be making a new one.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2011
    i had a fun pixar viewing party yesterday. saw cars, cars 2, monsters inc, ratatouille. hadnt seen any of them before. all were really good, with the exception of cars 2. well it wasnt awful...but just not up to snuff
    Post edited by musicismylife78 on
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I agree with what most people have said. What makes no sense is that I saw it twice over the weekend!

It is beautiful...that water at the beginning was amazing and I thought Italy really stood out.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."

There is a pixar film called brave coming out next year, then monsters Inc 2 in 2013.

Surely bugs life was their worst performing film??

And there is a shit ton of wall-e merchant there.

Edit: in terms of gross, toy story 1 was their worst, then bugs life then cars, and toy story 3 being their highest.

i'd rather them make an Incredibles 2 movie than Monsters Inc. 2
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

You thought Cars was the worst Pixar movie? I think A Bugs Life takes that title. Haven't seen Cars 2 yet.

I think their best movies are the Toy Story movies. Toy Story 3, to me, is the best animated film of all time.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    If I was to rank the Pixar films I've seen, my list would probably look like this:

Toy Story 3
    Monsters Inc.
    Toy Story
    Finding Nemo
    Toy Story 2
    Cars
    The Incredibles
    A Bugs Life

Have Up and Ratatouille at home, but haven't seen them. Not sure if I have Wall-E.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    If I was to rank the Pixar films I've seen, my list would probably look like this:

Toy Story 3
    Monsters Inc.
    Toy Story
    Finding Nemo
    Toy Story 2
    Cars
    The Incredibles
    A Bugs Life

Have Up and Ratatouille at home, but haven't seen them. Not sure if I have Wall-E.

Up and Wall-E are brilliant! Highly recommend!
  • mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    Just saw Cars 2 with my wife and 2 year old last night. I actually liked the movie - not nearly as much as the first one - but still left disappointed. I really don't understand what the target audience was. Every single kid in the theater like 10 or 11 and under seemed bored out of their minds within 1/2 hour of the movie starting. Like the OP said, the Pixar charm or what I would call maybe the Pixar childlike sense of innocence was completely missing. Still a pretty good movie, though.
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Toy Story 3
    Monsters Inc.
    Toy Story
    Finding Nemo
    Toy Story 2
    Cars
    The Incredibles
    A Bugs Life

Up and Wall-E are brilliant! Highly recommend!

I seriously don't understand the love for Wall-E. I thought it was a snoozefest.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Saw it with my kids and wife this past weekend... Read horrible reviews and was pleasantly surprised. All my kids liked it and there were some funny bits all throughout (I thought have to take tires off to go through airport security was the funniest)...

Anyway not in the league of Up and Wall-E for adults and Toy Stories and The Incredible for the kids but better than I thought it would be...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Newch91 wrote:

Toy Story 3
    Monsters Inc.
    Toy Story
    Finding Nemo
    Toy Story 2
    Cars
    The Incredibles
    A Bugs Life

I was gonna start a rank the Pixar movie thread soon. MIne would be:

1. Toy Story 3
    2. Up
    3. Toy Story
    4. The Incredibles
    5. Wall-E
    6. Ratatouille
    7. Toy Story 2
    8. Finding Nemo
    9. Cars
    10. Monsters, Inc.
    11. Cars 2
    12. A Bug's Life (although I never seen the whole thing)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC