Options

New Nike Solgan

JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
PORTLAND, Ore. - Nike Inc. is being blasted for replacing its signature "Just Do It" slogan on some T-shirts with the phrases "Dope," ''Get High" and "Ride Pipe."

The shoe and athletic apparel company said the terms are part of the lingo used by the skaters, snowboarders and participants in other extreme sports it's trying to target with the shirts. But critics say the slogans endorse drug use.

Boston's mayor has asked Nike to remove a display of the shirts. And an Oregon antidrug group condemned them in a letter sent to 1,500 people — including some at The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy — urging them to let Nike know they disapprove of the slogans.

"It's gone past edgy," said Tom Parker, spokesman for the Oregon Partnership. "Sure it is the language of skateboarders and surfers, but it's also the language of addicts."

Ride Pipe sounds sexual to me, it doesn't sound like a slogan a drug addict would use :lol:
If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    tightwads need to chill out...this reminds me of when I was in school, they wanted to ban t-shirts with the 'Billabong' name on it because it 'promoted the use of bongs' :roll:

the company came out to make a statement 'Billabong is an Aboriginal word that means 'creek bed'

don't they know what 'slang' means?

–noun
    very informal usage in vocabulary and idiom that is characteristically more metaphorical, playful, elliptical, vivid, and ephemeral than ordinary language, as Hit the road.
    (in English and some other languages) speech and writing characterized by the use of vulgar and socially taboo vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.
    the jargon of a particular class, profession, etc.

I should go out and get some of those Nike shirts, at Zumiez...support my Northwest companies!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Nitwits...
    What exactly was the conversation
    that led to those slogans?
    Did the suits think that kids would giggle
    while clueless parents would
    idle away on the porch, rocking away

with cats on their laps.
    Nitwits...

Oh yeah, 'ride pipe'
    sounds absolutely sexual-
    nice call!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    RKCNDY wrote:
    tightwads need to chill out...this reminds me of when I was in school, they wanted to ban t-shirts with the 'Billabong' name on it because it 'promoted the use of bongs' :roll:

the company came out to make a statement 'Billabong is an Aboriginal word that means 'creek bed'

So, do you think Nike could have found three other phrases within the slang of the skater/surfer they are trying to appeal to that DIDN'T necessarily have this negative conotation? Or could they be loving this free press they're receiving because of this happy accident?

Is Billabong a brand name? I don't see why anyone would want to wear a t-shirt promoting creek beds.
  • Options
    jamburger wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

So, do you think Nike could have found three other phrases within the slang of the skater/surfer they are trying to appeal to that DIDN'T necessarily have this negative conotation? Or could they be loving this free press they're receiving because of this happy accident?

Is Billabong a brand name? I don't see why anyone would want to wear a t-shirt promoting creek beds.

Billabong is a huge company in the skate/surf industry:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRF_FLjc8NsX3DPDLqhj3MLBXlZLTeL9-Ny-YkDZ7xC_GSdTqDLyw

and words have so many different meanings...do you think plumbers get joy put of saying 'your ballcock assembly needs replacing'?

maybe these words are popular within that community right now, remember when 'bad' was 'good'?

why does it matter anyway? some kids may not even know what 'dope' is...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    So you're saying Nike is completely innocent here? Didn't know these words could be viewed in a negative way?

'Cause when a plumber is discussing my ballcock with me, I don't think he/she is referring to my ball/cock.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that Nike doesn't know what they 'could' mean. I don't know what Nike is thinking because I am not Nike....I'm saying, there could be kids that don't know what all the terms associated with 'dope' means.

There are terms, phrases, and words that are running around that some may look at as degrading while other don't see an issue with it.

Let's say 'nappy' in the US some will say 'nappy' means 'gross', in Oz 'nappy' is a diaper, to some African American people it is a not so nice word to describe one's hair.

Let's say the homosexual word that begins with 'F' and rhymes with 'bag'...here it can be taken as a racist term, in the UK it's a cigarette. In the UK someone could make a shirt that says 'I need a bloody *ag' but here, people would be all up in arms.

A foreign exchange student at my school got into an arguement with another student because she kept asking to use his rubber. He was offended but she didn't know that Americans refer to 'rubber' as a condom. All she wanted to use was his eraser.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I'm not saying that Nike doesn't know what they 'could' mean. I don't know what Nike is thinking because I am not Nike....I'm saying, there could be kids that don't know what all the terms associated with 'dope' means.

There are terms, phrases, and words that are running around that some may look at as degrading while other don't see an issue with it.

Let's say 'nappy' in the US some will say 'nappy' means 'gross', in Oz 'nappy' is a diaper, to some African American people it is a not so nice word to describe one's hair.

Let's say the homosexual word that begins with 'F' and rhymes with 'bag'...here it can be taken as a racist term, in the UK it's a cigarette. In the UK someone could make a shirt that says 'I need a bloody *ag' but here, people would be all up in arms.

A foreign exchange student at my school got into an arguement with another student because she kept asking to use his rubber. He was offended but she didn't know that Americans refer to 'rubber' as a condom. All she wanted to use was his eraser.

They put these shirts in the window of a 5th Avenue store, in the heart of Manhattan, USA... and it's Oregon and Boston who's taking issue, not the fag smoking, rubber using, nappy wearing rest of the world.

By this logic, I should be able to open a store in England selling "Beaver Cleaver" printed t-shirts and no Englanders should be offended because I just think everyone should be a fan of young Jerry Mathers, and no, I'm not wearing a shirt that's calling you a cock!

All I'm getting at is there's no way in hell Nike didn't know what they were doing. If that's the only three phrases they can lift from the lexicon of the surfer/skater, they need to hire a new research staff.
  • Options
    suppose all of these people had no clue either...don't see anybody going after them...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZzUaLdvBi2EHz9waXhb8v0QMYp8GwKBj72lH80_kxPRkg_PtV
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0BfuI87YWS7QHe1t3eIjfhzl1f9k8N-D_bLbxqSpShjvWGhJyMgget_high_fly_b_150x150.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqEbEUr31-vBTmgA9wTQnli2Tg29siurLBzehZHK1Tpv_YqmNqUzEpGloECLO_GETHIGH_BACK.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIEXk5NXAFRclN9QPGrivlC71n8aQ5pfKJRTBN9sVbcx--5c0

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    suppose all of these people had no clue either...don't see anybody going after them...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZzUaLdvBi2EHz9waXhb8v0QMYp8GwKBj72lH80_kxPRkg_PtV
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0BfuI87YWS7QHe1t3eIjfhzl1f9k8N-D_bLbxqSpShjvWGhJyMgget_high_fly_b_150x150.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqEbEUr31-vBTmgA9wTQnli2Tg29siurLBzehZHK1Tpv_YqmNqUzEpGloECLO_GETHIGH_BACK.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIEXk5NXAFRclN9QPGrivlC71n8aQ5pfKJRTBN9sVbcx--5c0
    Since I can't find manufacturer names for any of the shirts you've posted, I only have Mission Beach to work with...

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2010/02/04/91475_local-news.html
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIEXk5NXAFRclN9QPGrivlC71n8aQ5pfKJRTBN9sVbcx--5c0

Words to live by right there!!

I would like a Nike Get High shirt.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    jamburger wrote:
    Since I can't find manufacturer names for any of the shirts you've posted, I only have Mission Beach to work with...

thanks for the article! last sentences:

Cassowary Coast Mayor and Mission Beach resident Bill Shannon yesterday described the billboards as hard to miss.

"Personally, they are not to my taste, but I'm not the judge of current morals," he said.

and for EDIT twisty:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRd8Qg3t6sIX-NZ_Fq2sgELANtfWXqwtOm9ziRWGYc11I6KFMBzIw

:D

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    jamburger wrote:

thanks for the article! last sentences:

Cassowary Coast Mayor and Mission Beach resident Bill Shannon yesterday described the billboards as hard to miss.

"Personally, they are not to my taste, but I'm not the judge of current morals," he said.

In the same article... "Scotty's Beach House owner Boyd Scott said the new Mission Beach campaign was a lighthearted way to lure more backpackers south."
    jamburger wrote:
    All I'm getting at is there's no way in hell Nike didn't know what they were doing.
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    and for EDIT twisty:

Huh. Nice color selection for the text
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtHQ-xFiiPqlfaIMJBtkR83ftJ-XCkPQ5Fm0sSb6g9arpPkaXA

Yah...they knew what they were doing. And you know what...they're just trying to appeal to the masses....
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    and for EDIT twisty:

Huh. Nice color selection for the text
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtHQ-xFiiPqlfaIMJBtkR83ftJ-XCkPQ5Fm0sSb6g9arpPkaXA

Yah...they knew what they were doing. And you know what...they're just trying to appeal to the masses....

I know...it's all marketing...good press bad press...it's all free advertising! With Nike being based in the NW and we are all basically a 'bunch of hippie tree hugging free spirits' I don't blame them for their choice of phrases.

- Christopher McCandless