the tree of life

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
going to see this today with the husband.
seems critics love it, the average joe movie-goer, not so much. curious to see how we'll like it, or not. intriguing none the less...
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    going to see this today with the husband.
    seems critics love it, the average joe movie-goer, not so much. curious to see how we'll like it, or not. intriguing none the less...
    I've heard it is stunning visually, been wanting to see it simply for that. Enjoy and let us know what you think!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It is a terrance malik film.

you know its gonna be good but the average viewer looking for a fun action movie they can eat popcorn at is not gonna like it.

Generation ADD can't handle terrance malik :)

(this is all assumption as i have not made it yet but Malik's past dictates this will be the case i could be wrong of course)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    if this lives up to the trailer i will be thrilled. the images in that trailer are so stunning and beautiful. Every shot seems to be pristine and so evocative.

i have been waiting for this film since 2006. key words like loss of innocence and coming of age caught my eye and have been chomping at the bit for 5 years now.

Doesnt get much better than having both sean penn and brad pitt in the film, and having terrence malick shoot it.

my town doesnt get the film until july 1, but the film has been getting alot of hype. won the palm d'or at cannes. and has been praised by ebert as "a prayer"

looks like a life changing film
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/no-conne ... eca,58076/

So yeah... no refunds for boringness. :lol:
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    snagging to check out later once I've seen it.....
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • looks like a life changing film

Sure, if you're a tree.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977

Sure, if you're a tree.

That made me laugh. :lol:

I actually really liked it, a LOT. My husband did not. So Thereya go, haha.
    It IS stunningly beautiful, both visually and musically. It also is dark and sad too. I am. Not saying I understood it all in it's entirety, but I identified with it and was deeply moved by it. It is not an easy film by any stretch, but I personally think well worth seeing. I will definitely see it again when it's released on DVD. I don't want to say too much about it because I think its best to see with fresh eyes, not too many preconceived notions, besides the fact that every ones opinion can vary widely. All I will say is do not go into it expecting to understand it completely, nor look for a linear storyline. However, with the right mindset....I think it's quite good and so worth seeing.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

brad pitt said the same thing at the cannes press conference. anyone expecting a transformers 3 movie, or summer blockbuster big commercial movie will be sorely disappointed. but from what ive seen of the trailer and seeing endless interviews with brad and the films producers, the film is absolutely beautiful. I said it before, but every single image in the trailer could be the most beautiful thing ive ever seen on film. the way it was shot, the trailer alone, is breathtaking.

im an artist and this movie seems and is being marketed as an artists movie. that is exciting to me. i' m a fan of the blockbuster popcorn flicks like everyone else, but i also find these types of movies, tree of life, deeply important to who i am, and to my art.
    Charles Eames always said, artists don't refer to themselves as artists, why would they? :P
    You create and you identify your work with what you create....not label yourself.
    But, I digress. Definitely a film to be seen if you are open minded about it, artist or not.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430

Sure, if you're a tree.

That made me laugh. :lol:

I actually really liked it, a LOT. My husband did not. So Thereya go, haha.
    It IS stunningly beautiful, both visually and musically. It also is dark and sad too. I am. Not saying I understood it all in it's entirety, but I identified with it and was deeply moved by it. It is not an easy film by any stretch, but I personally think well worth seeing. I will definitely see it again when it's released on DVD. I don't want to say too much about it because I think its best to see with fresh eyes, not too many preconceived notions, besides the fact that every ones opinion can vary widely. All I will say is do not go into it expecting to understand it completely, nor look for a linear storyline. However, with the right mindset....I think it's quite good and so worth seeing.

I liked it too! It's a deep movie. I liked it even better the next day - took some time to seep in. Yes, beautifully shot, very stunning.

There was a good write up in the NYTimes:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/movie ... 1&emc=eta1

My boyfriend read somewhere (sorry can't find the link) that the initial edit was 8 hours to lay the story out, honed to 6 hours, then down to 2.5 for commercial release. I'ld love to see the 6 hour version as a mini series - a visual commentary on life!

Definitely not a block buster movie goer type - though for the deep feelers and thinkers a definite must see. :D
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22

I liked it too! It's a deep movie. I liked it even better the next day - took some time to seep in. Yes, beautifully shot, very stunning.

My boyfriend read somewhere (sorry can't find the link) that the initial edit was 8 hours to lay the story out, honed to 6 hours, then down to 2.5 for commercial release. I'ld love to see the 6 hour version as a mini series - a visual commentary on life!

Definitely not a block buster movie goer type - though for the deep feelers and thinkers a definite must see. :D

Good review.
    As I said in the first post, seems to have gotten critical acclaim, but not so much from the common man. Eh well.

Btw as an aside, what is a creative coach? And how does one become one?
    I am truly interested to learn would love to read here or a PM....thanks. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Charles Eames always said, artists don't refer to themselves as artists, why would they? :P
    You create and you identify your work with what you create....not label yourself.
    But, I digress. Definitely a film to be seen if you are open minded about it, artist or not.

well you label yourself no matter what. i do something with paint and canvas, pen and paper, collage materials and paper, etc... So, either way you gotta label it. whatever you want to call it, whether you call it creativity, or manipulating paint, or writing. I could be specific and say im a writer and painter but thats labeling as well as i said, so i really dont see your point. In terms of other people, they can do what they want, call themselves any term they want. i really dont care. for me though, im an artist, thank you very much. So yeah, im going with that term. I label myself, dont really care what others call me, but thats the term i identify with.
    i obviously havent seen the film, but i also think the cast is amazing. anytime you have the likes of sean penn and brad pitt and terrence malik all in the same film, you know you are good to go. i'd hope its the michael jordan effect. that someone as good as michael, the effect he has on the team, is that the whole team shines and it all sort of works together, the team flows and everything is magic. Or seamless.
    just sharing what a great artist of our times has said, nothing more, nothing less.
    and almost every artist i know, calls him/herself by what they do/create. that is all.
    you do what you want, who said otherwise? :P
    besides, what constitutes art/an artist...whole other thread....;)

ill agree tho, definitely...go see the film.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    i obviously havent seen the film, but i also think the cast is amazing. anytime you have the likes of sean penn and brad pitt and terrence malik all in the same film, you know you are good to go. i'd hope its the michael jordan effect. that someone as good as michael, the effect he has on the team, is that the whole team shines and it all sort of works together, the team flows and everything is magic. Or seamless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prqGjQz3L3k#t=0m15s
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

Doesnt get much better than having both sean penn and brad pitt in the film, and having terrence malick shoot it.

I honestly feel like who the actors are is less important in Malick films. Not that these guys aren't good, but I'm open to more obscure actors, because a Malick film is identifiable (so far) by how he does it, and what he gets the actors to do, not who's in it. His movies are like dreams. I live in the sticks so I'll be lucky if the movie makes it here by August or September :roll: Have considered driving elsewhere to catch it earlier.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430

Good review.
    As I said in the first post, seems to have gotten critical acclaim, but not so much from the common man. Eh well.

Btw as an aside, what is a creative coach? And how does one become one?
    I am truly interested to learn would love to read here or a PM....thanks. :)

pm sent ... :D
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22

pm sent ... :D

received, responded...thank you. :)
    this board is a constant source of information and inspiration. :)

jane - what a great, and accurate descriptor for mailk's films! i so agree....like dreams!
    was talking about this flick right after seeing it, and especially b/ hubby was none too fond overall, really sparked discussion. that would've been perfect to say. funny too, he really liked the thin red line. not that htis is at all the same, but you're right, there is a definite stamp on his films.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

well finally saw it. went into it with insane expectations. ive been hearing about this one for 5 years now. what a gorgeous film! when it ended i said "wow" to my mom who went and saw it with me. i had a hard time, we both did, of coming up with words to describe anything after that. Essentially malick's film describes the creation of the world and discusses why God allows bad things to happen, grace, and forgiveness. You know, just light, easy subject matter!

im going to have to see this again. but the cinematography was maybe the best ive ever seen, outside of Planet Earth or Life documentaries. i dont know literally this film was packed wall to wall, with images that are among the most expertly filmed and realized ive ever seen. And the scenes of the eldest son being a kid, causing a ruckus around the neighborhood were some of the best filmed scenes of growing up ive seen.

this is my favorite movie of 2011 so far.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    didn't see this thread ... just wrote about it on the movies thread ...

it is thinking person's film ... and not in a what happened kind of way but in an existential kind of way ... at first watch - it was felt quite sublime but it has stuck with me the past few days ... possibly because i saw the film with 3 others who i spent the weekend with ... for 90% of movie-goers, i would not recommend this movie ...

i think the screenplay for this film had about 6 pages of dialogue ... hahaha
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,821
    polaris_x wrote:
    didn't see this thread ... just wrote about it on the movies thread ...

it is thinking person's film ... and not in a what happened kind of way but in an existential kind of way ... at first watch - it was felt quite sublime but it has stuck with me the past few days ... possibly because i saw the film with 3 others who i spent the weekend with ... for 90% of movie-goers, i would not recommend this movie ...

i think the screenplay for this film had about 6 pages of dialogue ... hahaha

so did i
    Caught Tree Of Life earlier today. That was not quite what I expected. Very difficult to follow. Lot of camera movement from one period to the next. The beginning was very weird. Slight spoiler. For like the first quarter of the movie they showed how the universe was made. It was shot very well, but took awhile to figure out what was going on. Not too much acting, but it worked. Ending was kinda weird also. Lot of symbolism in the movie which for the most part people (including myself) didn't get. Few people walked out in the beginning.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I can't even read the comments... If I see ONE POSITIVE thing about this movie, I may flip out. I will NEVER see anther Sean Penn or Brad Pitt movie again... seriously, wtf!?!?! Dinosaurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

PLEASE PEOPLE, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS SHIT!!!
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Most beautiful bit of movie magic I've seen for a long long time... if in fact i've seen anything better. Doubtful.

Taken for a ride. Sure there's bits I don't understand, but who cares when the overall product is so pretty? I felt things. I'm not sure they can be put into words.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Haven't seen the movie but it seems to me that there are going to be those who blindly hate it since it wasn't at all what they were expecting from the previews and because they're going to later find out that people actually loved it.

Then there's going to be the crowd that liked, disliked, or thought it was ok based on what they saw.

Then there's going to be the crowd that blindly love because they have the opportunity to be sound really smart and deep by saying such. They will take advantage of those who blindly hate the movie and act as though they're on a deeper connection with the director that no one else can reach.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Waiting for this to come to my area... I've been anticipating it since seeing 'I Am' in May.
    ive seen it twice and am considering seeing it another time. the scope of what malick imagined and even better pulled off is stunning. its my favorite movie of 2011 so far, and its gonna be hard for another movie to top it.
    as was stated before, this isnt a typical summer blockbuster. its not an escape movie. its not a blow em up film. its a thinking persons film.
    Haven't seen the movie but it seems to me that there are going to be those who blindly hate it since it wasn't at all what they were expecting from the previews and because they're going to later find out that people actually loved it.

Then there's going to be the crowd that liked, disliked, or thought it was ok based on what they saw.

Then there's going to be the crowd that blindly love because they have the opportunity to be sound really smart and deep by saying such. They will take advantage of those who blindly hate the movie and act as though they're on a deeper connection with the director that no one else can reach.

the hate for this film came even before that. this film has been in rumination for 5 years. i first heard of it in 2006. and it was ready in 2010 to be premiered at cannes but malick put the kabosh on that. the trailer is an accurate depiction of the film. there has been many people walking out of the film in various locations across the country. it was booed at cannes. i think people went into it thinking they were getting a typical brad pitt and sean penn film. when they really should have been more concerned about the directors past films, because its a genre bending film, but its also typical malick.

the film doesnt spoon feed. it doesnt have car crashes or violence, or buildings falling, or shots, or stuff like that. there are long sections with no dialogue at all, in fact the film has probably about six pages of dialogue in the script. what i love about this film, is what i love about true masters of film or art. they let the audience decide. they dont tell you squat. you are left to decide what the hell is going on and the meaning behind it.

if you want blow em up stuff, watch transformers, and im a fan of those summer blockbusters. but this aint a film like that. this is not disposable art
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    this film is COMPLETE shit...
    Go see There Will Be Blood, it is less boring... (and that was the worst movie I have ever sat through)

Seriously, FUCK YOU Sean Penn!!!!!!! This shit is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!! :sick:
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Finally got to see this in lower Manhattan at the Landmark when I was down there. As an atheist I had a bit of a hard time with the 'god' angle, but I was raised catholic and we studied the book of job in high school, and so I could take it from that angle - it was a representation of how some people might try to sort out the big questions. The big bang and the idea of the universe coming into being are concepts thought about by many, not just the religious, and we all wonder how/why bad things happen to good people. I did find the dinosaur segment a little surprising and well, almost comical, but overall I liked the film. Malick does not take on light projects, certainly. I continue to be a Malick fan. Hopefully he'll fit in another one or two before I die.

The boy who played the young Jack was excellent. Also the footage of the cosmos and the dawn of time were absolutely gorgeous and amazing. I'd expect more than a few film school students will be writing papers about this movie in the future.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I want to see it. That is all. :)