The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Trilogy Extended Blu-ray

igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,795
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026L ... B0026L7H20

Special Features
Note: Most of the bonus features are on DVDs, not Blu-ray Discs. The feature films are on Blu-ray.

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Over 30 minutes of footage incorporated into the theatrical release of the film
Commentary by Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens
Commentary by the design team
Commentary by the production/post-production team
Commentary by 10 actors, including Elijah Wood and Ian McKellen
Easter egg: MTV Movie Award Spoof (The Council of Elrod)
Costa Botes Documentary: The Fellowship of the Ring: Behind the Scenes (DVD)
The Appendices, Part 1: From Book to Vision (DVD)

Peter Jackson introduction
J.R.R. Tolkein: Creator of Middle Earth
From Book to Script
Visualizing the Story
Designing and Building Middle Earth
Middle Earth atlas interactive
The Appendices, Part 2: From Vision to Reality (DVD)

Elijah Wood introduction
Filming The Fellowship of the Ring
Visual effects
Post-production: Putting it all together
Digital Grading
Sound and music
The Road Goes Ever On...
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Extended edition of the film, incorporating 43 minutes of footage incorporated into the film
Commentary track by writer-director Peter Jackson and writers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens
Commentary track by the design team
Commentary track by the production/post-production team
Commentary track by 16 cast members, including Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Andy Serkis, John Rhys-Davies, Orlando Bloom, Christopher Lee, Bernard Hill, and Miranda Otto
Easter Egg: MTV Movie Awards clip (Gollum accepting award)
Costas Botes documentary: The Two Towers--Behind the Scenes (DVD)
The Appendices, Part 3: The Journey Continues (DVD)

Peter Jackson introduction
J.R.R. Tolkein: Origin of Middle Earth
From Book to Script: Finding a Story
Designing and Building Middle-Earth
Gollum
Middle-Earth Atlas interactive
New Zealand as Middle Earth (map with video location)
The Appendices, Part 4: The Battle for Middle Earth (DVD)

Elijah Wood introduction
Filming The Two Towers
Visual effects
Editorial: Refining the Story
Music and Sound
The Battle for Helm's Deep is Over
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Extended edition of the film, with 50 extra minutes incorporated into the film
Commentary track by writer-director Peter Jackson and writers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens
Commentary track by the design team
Commentary track by the production/post-production team
Costas Botes documentary: The Return of the King: Behind the Scenes (DVD)
The Appendices, Part 5: The War of the Ring (DVD)

Peter Jackson Intro
J.R.R. Tolkien: The Legacy of Middle-earth
From Book to Script
Designing and Building Middle-earth
Home of the Horse Lords
Middle-earth Atlas: Tracing the Journeys of the Fellowship: interactive map
New Zealand as Middle-earth: interactive map with on-location footage
The Appendices, Part 6: The Passing of an Age (DVD)

Elijah Wood/Sean Astin/Billy Boyd/Dominic Monaghan intro
Filming The Return of the King
Visual Effects
Post Production: Journey's End
The Passing of an Age
Cameron Duncan
I miss igotid88
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Want!

:D
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    all I know is that the extended edition DVDs are my most watched dvds....Fellowship is the best extended edition, especially if you didn't read the books. Two Towers is amazing, but Return doesn't have as much to offer in the extended edition. Everything from the special features to listening to "merry and pippin" on the commentary is worth watching :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Myyyyy Precccciousssssssss :twisted:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Myyyyy Precccciousssssssss :twisted:

that reminds me...one of the extra features about how they did Gollum is really interesting.

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,795
    wonder why they didn't keep the featurettes
    I miss igotid88
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    since receiving each collector's edition dvd for christmas during the years they were released on that format, i've only ever watched each film once, so i'm gonna have to take a pass on this one. i'm sure it'll look damn fine though.
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    From what I heard they split the movies into multiple disc. You would think that they could fit a full film onto one blu-ray disc.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    From what I heard they split the movies into multiple disc. You would think that they could fit a full film onto one blu-ray disc.
    They could have, but at the sacrifice of a higher bit rate.. Apparently these new blu-rays look much sharper..

I don't mind so much. I like to think of the series as 6 movies anyways. I can't sit through a whole extended movie. They are almost 4 hours long each!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    all I know is that the extended edition DVDs are my most watched dvds....Fellowship is the best extended edition, especially if you didn't read the books. Two Towers is amazing, but Return doesn't have as much to offer in the extended edition. Everything from the special features to listening to "merry and pippin" on the commentary is worth watching :-)
    I totally agree.
    I've been watching the extended editions in the theatre the past three weeks gonna see Return tonight.

I honestly don't own a blu ray player, but i'm buying one so i can buy these and watch LOTR on blu ray. Is that sad?
    I watch the trilogy every christmas.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I totally agree.
    I've been watching the extended editions in the theatre the past three weeks gonna see Return tonight.

I honestly don't own a blu ray player, but i'm buying one so i can buy these and watch LOTR on blu ray. Is that sad?

I'd love to see the ex-editions on the big screen...i don't own a blu ray player either, so i figure that if I don't know what I'm missing out on, it's ok :-)

intodeep wrote:
    I totally agree.

I'd love to see the ex-editions on the big screen...i don't own a blu ray player either, so i figure that if I don't know what I'm missing out on, it's ok :-)
    If you are not doing anythign tonight check out your closest AMC theatre. Most AMC's are showing them across the country.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    intodeep wrote:
    I totally agree.

Not sad at all. Blu is pretty. I've had mine since the PS3 came out...in '06 or something...and I'm still amazed at times at how amazing the picture is on certain movies. :o
    The up-scaling of DVDs is nice too, but it really pales in comparision to Blu.

I think a decent Blu player is pretty cheap....it'll be well worth the cost!
    Just picked this up on my lunch break.

I can't believe Jackson considers the theatrical cuts to be his favored director cuts. The extened edition adds soooo much more to the story.

Gonna watch FOTR tonight. 8-)
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I'm getting them, but I will probably wait for them to be cheap.
    Rygar wrote:
    They are on sale now. $69 from $99 at Best Buy.. They will be $99 next week. They probably won't be much cheaper for a while..
    Gob wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    They are on sale now. $69 from $99 at Best Buy.. They will be $99 next week. They probably won't be much cheaper for a while..
    They'll be $30 before you know it ;)
    I have the extended versions on DVD, and the blu ray regular editions in m2ts, so I'm not in any rush.
    Rygar wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    They'll be $30 before you know it ;)
    I have the extended versions on DVD, and the blu ray regular editions in m2ts, so I'm not in any rush.
    The Extended Edition DVDs have been out for almost a decade and they still run about $80 or $90 bucks for the set. ;)

The Extended Editions aren't for the casual fan. They contain multiple discs of material that are marketed towards the fanatics who will shell out much more money.
    Messed up thing is last week amazon had them for 55 bucks now they are 70 :( I should have jumped on the 55 d'oh!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Rygar wrote:

On sale for $49.99
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

On sale for $49.99
    And they laughed at me!

"And they call it a mine!"

Thanks for the heads up!
    Rygar wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

On sale for $49.99
    And they laughed at me!

Thanks for the heads up!

you're welcome
    I miss igotid88
    I still have not opened mine. Next week though i'll watch a film a week.

:D can't wait to see it in all its glory
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I've been waiting for this to go on sale, that's a great price for the blu rays! Thanks for the heads up on this!

I just need to sell my DVD's now to somebody considering they won't be used ever again.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I also have the extended versions on DVD. I don't have a blu-ray player and am enough of a technology neophyte that I don't know what the difference would be.

Is there anything on the blu-ray versions that I'm not seeing on the DVD extended versions? I don't recall seeing the easter egg re. the MTV awards spoof. But the other stuff seemed familiar.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    igotid88 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

On sale for $49.99

Thanks! Been looking at getting this set for a while!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    igotid88 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    On sale for $49.99
    And they laughed at me!

Thanks for the heads up!

you're welcome
    $60 at Best Buy.ca online. Hmm, 55 at Futureshop (owned by BB), and 45 at Amazon.ca, lols
    Glorious. It is Glorious i tell you!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,877
    I saw TLOTR Pez despensers. A whole fellowship of a set!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...